cannastop

The Boy and the Heron | Hayao Miyazaki | Studio Ghibli | GKIDS | NA Debut at TIFF | WINNER OF THE OSCAR FOR BEST ANIMATED FEATURE

4 minutes ago, tarabeesley said:

So if it won the Golden Globe and BAFTA, surely it is the frontrunner for the Oscar? It lost out on the Annie Award though. What are the odds?

I remember Encanto losing the Annie but winning the Oscar, so make of that what you will.

• Like 1

Did any other films in history get both the BAFTA, Golden Globe but loose out on the Oscar? Boy Heron also got many of the top film critics awards. 

I think the biggest disparity was The Lego Movie winning the BAFTA but Oscar didn't even nominate it. 

But apart from that result, BAFTAs predict the Oscar winner very well. 

Edited by tarabeesley

46 minutes ago, tarabeesley said:

Did any other films in history get both the BAFTA, Golden Globe but loose out on the Oscar? Boy Heron also got many of the top film critics awards. 

I think the biggest disparity was The Lego Movie winning the BAFTA but Oscar didn't even nominate it. 

But apart from that result, BAFTAs predict the Oscar winner very well. 

Nope. Never happened. 

In all five major precursor (GG, BAFTA, PGA and Annie), Annie actually has the lowest match with Oscar whereas BAFTA has the highest match among all, followed by PGA but Annie is the most anime-friendly among all. So the race does look very evenly split right now. 

• Like 1

No movie has ever won both the BAFTA and GG for Animated Feature and lost the Oscar. However, this race remains incredibly tight, it's far from a done deal. The Annie Awards and Critics Choice Awards have also historically been very strong predictors for the Oscars, and Spider-Verse won both of those. Spider-Verse's lion's share of critics circle awards has also only grown, with its total precursor count at 38 wins to Heron's 14. When you get down to the statistics of each movie's precursors, both would have near-definite chances of winning, so something's gotta break. This is a very unusual year.

Fun fact: In 2014, much like this year, there was an even split between those four precursors, with two going for How to Train Your Dragon 2 and the other two going for The Lego Movie. Big Hero 6 ended up winning the Oscar. The other two years with even splits were 2012 (Wreck it Ralph and Brave) and 2021 (Encanto and The Mitchells vs the Machines).

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, harrisonisdead said:

No movie has ever won both the BAFTA and GG for Animated Feature and lost the Oscar. However, this race remains incredibly tight, it's far from a done deal. The Annie Awards and Critics Choice Awards have also historically been very strong predictors for the Oscars, and Spider-Verse won both of those. Spider-Verse's lion's share of critics circle awards has also only grown, with its total precursor count at 38 wins to Heron's 14. When you get down to the statistics of each movie's precursors, both would have near-definite chances of winning, so something's gotta break. This is a very unusual year.

Fun fact: In 2014, much like this year, there was an even split between those four precursors, with two going for How to Train Your Dragon 2 and the other two going for The Lego Movie. Big Hero 6 ended up winning the Oscar. The other two years with even splits were 2012 (Wreck it Ralph and Brave) and 2021 (Encanto and The Mitchells vs the Machines).

I never truly thought this could have a chance next to Spider-Verse (though I've been rooting for it ever since I saw it), but after this BAFTA win the animated category is gearing up to be one of the most exciting ones of the Oscar night.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Scubasteve716 said:

Has there been any talk about when this is going to be on PVOD?

9 months after US release.

I read that a Finnish blu-ray is scheduled for the end of March but can’t say for certain.

6 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

BTW, who took the award. I mean who was present at the event? For TBATH

Nobody! I wonder why Ghibli bothers submitting their films for awards (I assume someone at Ghibli has to submit the film for each award, right? Or are films automatically submitted?) and none of them ever bother to turn up for any award. Is it a sort of reverse snobbishness? I know why they don't attend the Oscars. I saw Miyazaki thanked the Spaniards for giving The Boy and the Heron an award via video, but no other thanks. Why? Does he prefer the Spaniards to the Americans, the Brits and others?

I know Miyazaki said he didn't see the film as being in contention for any awards, he doesn't like them because they imply wins and losses. But he's literally one of about two filmmakers in history who pretends he doesn't want his film to win awards. 

Edited by tarabeesley

3 hours ago, tarabeesley said:

Nobody! I wonder why Ghibli bothers submitting their films for awards (I assume someone at Ghibli has to submit the film for each award, right? Or are films automatically submitted?) and none of them ever bother to turn up for any award. Is it a sort of reverse snobbishness? I know why they don't attend the Oscars. I saw Miyazaki thanked the Spaniards for giving The Boy and the Heron an award via video, but no other thanks. Why? Does he prefer the Spaniards to the Americans, the Brits and others?

I know Miyazaki said he didn't see the film as being in contention for any awards, he doesn't like them because they imply wins and losses. But he's literally one of about two filmmakers in history who pretends he doesn't want his film to win awards. 

Animation director Takeshi Honda was at the Annie Awards to accept his award for character animation on The Boy and the Heron, and he also accepted the storyboarding award on Hayao Miyazaki's behalf. Toshio Suzuki wasn't able to attend the Golden Globes, but he put out a thank you message afterwards. I have to imagine their absence at the BAFTAs just came down to timing and who was actually invited. As for the San Sebastian Film Festival, a video recorded acceptance speech was only possible because it was a non-competitive career award, usually showing up via video is not an option for awards ceremonies. At the San Sebastian ceremony, the festival director asked the audience not to record Miyazaki's message, due to Miyazaki's wish for privacy. He also said that they'd tried to give Miyazaki the award several times prior, and this was the first time he accepted.

The company as a whole certainly doesn't avoid the Oscars: Toshio Suzuki showed up for The Wind Rises even if Miyazaki didn't (a few months later, Miyazaki was present to accept his honorary Oscar at the Governor Awards).  Suzuki also attended for The Red Turtle, along with director Michael Dudok de Wit. Isao Takahata and producer Yoshiaki Nishimura showed up for The Tale of the Princess Kaguya. Nishimura also showed up for When Marnie Was There, along with director Hiromasa Yonebayashi and production designer Yohei Taneda. Suzuki and Miyazaki had fully planned to be present at the 2003 Oscars, but the invasion of Iraq happened just a few days before the ceremony, so they decided not to go at the last minute. I wouldn't say that says much about the company's chances of being represented at this year's Oscars.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, harrisonisdead said:

Animation director Takeshi Honda was at the Annie Awards to accept his award for character animation on The Boy and the Heron, and he also accepted the storyboarding award on Hayao Miyazaki's behalf. Toshio Suzuki wasn't able to attend the Golden Globes, but he put out a thank you message afterwards. I have to imagine their absence at the BAFTAs just came down to timing and who was actually invited. As for the San Sebastian Film Festival, a video recorded acceptance speech was only possible because it was a non-competitive career award, usually showing up via video is not an option for awards ceremonies. At the San Sebastian ceremony, the festival director asked the audience not to record Miyazaki's message, due to Miyazaki's wish for privacy. He also said that they'd tried to give Miyazaki the award several times prior, and this was the first time he accepted.

The company as a whole certainly doesn't avoid the Oscars: Toshio Suzuki showed up for The Wind Rises even if Miyazaki didn't (a few months later, Miyazaki was present to accept his honorary Oscar at the Governor Awards).  Suzuki also attended for The Red Turtle, along with director Michael Dudok de Wit. Isao Takahata and producer Yoshiaki Nishimura showed up for The Tale of the Princess Kaguya. Nishimura also showed up for When Marnie Was There, along with director Hiromasa Yonebayashi and production designer Yohei Taneda. Suzuki and Miyazaki had fully planned to be present at the 2003 Oscars, but the invasion of Iraq happened just a few days before the ceremony, so they decided not to go at the last minute. I wouldn't say that says much about the company's chances of being represented at this year's Oscars.

But at the circumstances such as now where race was this close, being present for campaigning is inevitable factor to consider. And GKIDS is great during pre-nomination stage, they are a bit lacking when it come to actually wining the prize. Heron is their biggest grosser of all time but GKIDS weren't very vocal about this success like how A24 utilised record high box office figures for EEAAO's Oscar campaign.   

I would attribute Heron underperformance at Annie to Suzume, which also were in the race, split the support from anime-friendly voters. But that is just theory, the race is way closer than many expected with Netflix also escalating their campaign for Nimona at the same time. 

Theatrical Rights in China are roughly $10M (Suzuki wants more). Film will clear censorship and a release date announcement are coming soon by the end of February. IMAX Ver. is confirmed and Alibaba Pictures has already contacted a lot of bloggers for advertising and promotion activities. The release date is spectaculared at March 15 (We will know soon)

• Like 1

On 2/22/2024 at 11:43 AM, Issac Newton said:

Theatrical Rights in China are roughly $10M (Suzuki wants more). Film will clear censorship and a release date announcement are coming soon by the end of February. IMAX Ver. is confirmed and Alibaba Pictures has already contacted a lot of bloggers for advertising and promotion activities. The release date is spectaculared at March 15 (We will know soon)

I don't understand how it works but is 10 million how much it costs Alibaba to show the film in China or how much it costs Ghibli to distribute the film there? Why does Suzuki want more?

Will it possibly make 60 million dollars, is there much buzz? When is Howl's Moving Castle being released there? 

3 minutes ago, tarabeesley said:

I don't understand how it works but is 10 million how much it costs Alibaba to show the film in China or how much it costs Ghibli to distribute the film there? Why does Suzuki want more?

Will it possibly make 60 million dollars, is there much buzz? When is Howl's Moving Castle being released there? 

1708700185697.png

April 30, 2024 - Howl's Moving Castle (A day before Labour Day Holidays which start from May 1)

Well, I don't have all answers but $10M Theatrical Rights is a lot given that the film is pretty much non rhyming for Asian Audiences. Suzuki was negotiating for lot higher (I am not sure how but that's the mark) The closest value of rights I heard was $5M for Demon Slayer Mugen Train back in 2020 by Bilibili 

As mentioned previously. Distributor expecting ¥400M / $56M to look profitable

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

This is a very Miyazaki interview. At least we know he isn't shirking awards stuff completely. Granted, this comes after the voting period already ended. At this point I get the feeling Spider-Verse is going to win, but hope isn't completely lost.

• Heart 1

Suzuki: I'm very honored that The Boy and the Heron has been nominated for the Academy Award for Best Animated Feature. I'm grateful to the Academy and everyone who nominated us.

Miyazaki: *grunts in agreement*

Suzuki: This film is a sort of autobiography, isn't it?

Miyazaki: Not quite, but there are such elements. That's what I'd say.

Suzuki: Having made the film, what were you happy with about it?

Miyazaki: Well, I'm glad that I made it all the way to the end. All that's left now is my worn out self.

Suzuki: You were working on the film for seven years straight. That's more than ever before. It had a really long production period. Do you have any thoughts on that?

Miyazaki: I thought that it would never end.

Suzuki: But it did finish. 

Miyazaki: Yes, because the money kept coming.

Suzuki: *laughs* Yay!

• Haha 1