cannastop

The Boy and the Heron | Hayao Miyazaki | Studio Ghibli | GKIDS | NA Debut at TIFF | WINNER OF THE OSCAR FOR BEST ANIMATED FEATURE

11 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

It also work in Heron favour because ATSV is a half movie. 

And a CBM, a genre the Academy loves to snub. All the sticking points for why I’ve argued it doesn’t make sense for AtSV to be the Oscar frontrunner over this. It does have huge DOM box office in its favor, but that’s really it. 

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

And a CBM, a genre the Academy loves to snub. All the sticking points for why I’ve argued it doesn’t make sense for AtSV to be the Oscar frontrunner over this. It does have huge DOM box office in its favor, but that’s really it. 

I think it's more the fact that Spider-Verse already got an Oscar back in 2019 that is the biggest factor against it winning this time.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I think it's more the fact that Spider-Verse already got an Oscar back in 2019 that is the biggest factor against it winning this time.

Yeah that ties back to Oscars not going for sequels in this cat (or in general typically) 

The Academy hating CBMs doesn't sound like a real thing. They've nominated or outright awarded them in many occasions by now (BP, Spiderverse, Joker). It doesn't sound like the academy dislikes CBMs any more than they do any other genre film.

That said I'd rather Heron wins this one.

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

The Academy hating CBMs doesn't sound like a real thing. They've nominated or outright awarded them in many occasions by now (BP, Spiderverse, Joker). It doesn't sound like the academy dislikes CBMs any more than they do any other genre film.

It is then hard to explain why NWH isn’t even nominated but TGM, avatar 2 and Barbie are all nominated. It is not like NWH is poorly received either. And it was not like NWH contribute any lesser to bring back moviegoing. 

43 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

It is then hard to explain why NWH isn’t even nominated but TGM, avatar 2 and Barbie are all nominated. It is not like NWH is poorly received either. And it was not like NWH contribute any lesser to bring back moviegoing. 

All 3 are much better films. Once the nostalgiabait magic wears off NWH ages terribly.

Edited by JustLurking

I love how shock effect of Heron win at GG send to twitter who generally don't pay attention to Japanese anime or weeb culture. Especially when everyone thought ATSV is a locked. Some of them don't even know this movie exists until the win.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Bafta doesn't respect anime, pretty sure Heron is the first anime I've seen make the longlist, let alone get a nomination. Suzume didn't make that cut. 

Spirited Away was nominated for Best Foreign Language film at the BAFTAS. But that film is exceptional. I remember on UK TV some snobby people reviewed foreign film nominees on the 'BBC Four World Cinema Awards' though and Robert Carlyle said it was too Disney-like and preferred 'Triplettes of Belleville'  which I thought was interestingly animated but not nearly as entertaining or enchanting as Spirited Away.

They also preferred 'Goodbye Lenin' over Spirited, but which one is actually remembered today in critic polls? Certainly not Lenin. 

Edited by tarabeesley

14 hours ago, JustLurking said:

What? Joker is not a “CBM” anymore than Taxi Driver, and BP only got the big cats off the basis of being culturally significant and historic for DEI (and having social political commentary). It would’ve been SOL with the Academy without those aspects. I fail to see how these examples somehow indicate they don’t have a major CBM bias? The Dark Knight not nommed for anything big as a film will forever be the most cringe Oscar snubs of all time, I doubt they can ever top that shame.

Both IW and EG were deserving in BP fields of 10 as well. Especially IW, one of the most unconventional blockbusters we’ve ever seen that pulled it off perfectly and doesn’t even have to be a “part 1” if you want to look at it as its own thing. It works as its own thing almost better. Wonder Woman was also deserving of a lot more awards attention as well.  

11 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

I think whining that Spiderverse was robbed is very silly, but I don't like the idea that a film earned an award simply based on who made it. John Lasseter did so much for the animation industry, but I wouldn't mind him never winning another award.

Luckily, in this case, I'll always choose a film with an ending over a film with a "to be continued."

Edited by MysteryMovieMogul

I think this is the first time a Japanese anime or a GKIDS award contender got this extensive of support from multiple craft communities. Annie awards nomination is tomorrow, I got a feeling heron will perform way beyond its typical categories like writing and directing. 

• Like 1