Eric is Quiet

Hobbs & Shaw Weekend Thread: 60.8M OW (6th-best August debut), 180.8M WW | TLK 38.2, OUATIH 20, FFH 7.7, TS4 7.1, Farewell 2.4

After the 2nd weekend, BaTB, TDKR, and JWFK were looking like decent TLK comps to me. (Incidentally all 3 of those had identical multipliers off their first Mon-Sun week — Spooky).    

Drop from 1st Mon-Sun to 2nd Mon-Sun:  

BATB  144.3-> 74.3, -48.5%

TDKR  126.2-> 66.8, -47.1%

JWFK  117.7-> 66.7, -43.3% (July 4 boosted. Rough way of taking that into account gives more like a 48% drop)   

Giving TLK a 36.2M weekend it’s looking at:  

160.1->77, -51.9%   

Multis from this week are:  

TDKR 3.01x

BATB 2.49x  

JWFK ~2.4 adjusting for July 4th    

Barren August but medium reception, this TLK will do closer to BATB/JWFK’s multis there for 535-550ish. 

54 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Shazam would have not done  amazingly no matter where it opened. I enjoyed it but it probably was too campy for general audiences 

Lol, the DC film before this had an octopus playing drums, a Pitbull cover of Toto's Africa, piss jokes, and underwater battles with sharks with lasers and giant crabs but somehow Shazam was too campy.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

31 minutes ago, TMP said:

Shazam would have done better if it didn't have such terrible marketing. Who releases the main trailer a month before release??

I think that, plus its not ideal release date, the story / characters not appealing to all gender-age combis/groups, plus, acc to quite a lot of what I read at social media, the (reputation damaging) fan behaviour seemed to be reasons for the result too.

As another release date might have caused a less of those behaviour, I guess the release date was not good for at least 2 different reasons directly and indirectly.

2 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

the (reputation damaging) fan behaviour seemed to be reasons for the result too.

I don't think anyone in the general audience even knows what this is.

16 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Lol, the DC film before this had an octopus playing drums, a Pitbull cover of Toto's Africa, piss jokes, and underwater battles with sharks with lasers and giant crabs but somehow Shazam was too campy.

Besides campy means in my POV something else anyway, there are differences in %, also rather differences like other kind of action, visuals,... and had details included, that have a chance to appeal to different age-gender mix groups to a limitation per the character/story not clicking with all of the GA.

Too different to compare.

2 hours ago, Gopher said:

Interesting to see how much TLK's run is mirroring BATB's domestically. Swinging higher on weekdays and lower on weekends. Presuming TLK has a 4x from a 38m weekend (BATB had 3.44x from its third weekend, will give the end of summer haziness the benefit of a doubt for TLK) it'll end up at 542m, just shy of BATB's multiplier (2.84x vs. 2.88x).

It's safe to say Disney's out of IP for remakes that can make these numbers again on their own. Little Mermaid is a possibility but I'd expect closer to Aladdin's final total (still ungodly). 

Disney's inevitable live-action Frozen will rake in billions. They also have Tangled, The Incredibles and Wreck-It Ralph to adapt. Don't think that Alan Horn isn't doing preproduction on these as we speak.

1 minute ago, terrestrial said:

Not sure what you mean with that.

No-one in the general audience chose to buy or not buy tickets to Shazam because of what some fans on twitter said.

4 minutes ago, Talkie said:

They also have Tangled, The Incredibles and Wreck-It Ralph to adapt

Live-action The Incredibles would be terrible. All those set pieces would only work in the medium of animation; in live-action you'd lose those and all it'd be is another live-action superhero film - not even telling a fresh take on the genre anymore like the original did.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

and had details included, that have a chance to appeal to different age-gender mix groups to a limitation per the character/story not clicking with all of the GA.

Too different to compare.

I mean the foster family was pretty diverse so I don't understand. I'm guessing the marketing was too male targeted tho (again crappy marketing like @TMP said).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TMP said:

No-one in the general audience chose to buy or not buy tickets to Shazam because of what some fans on twitter said.

That is wrong, I've seen teen to YA women say they wont accompany their BF or loose interest or ... it based on the behaviour at social media and in RL.

Beside that, there is a certain % of GA that reacts not good to over the top or even aggressive fan behaviour, I've seen that over and over again over the decades. Generally speaking, not only for CBM counting.

Not saying the majority, but, depending on how excessive / big ... usually more than 5% to way more.

If rather 'big' its similar to the cooled down reaction the GA shows at once or over the time, if an actor or director does something perceived as negative, but the actor/director usually having a bigger impact - and again it depends on what was done by him or her-, if the fan behaviour isn't too extreme, like to step down to life threats or so, if it makes news, you can see even fast reactions IMHO.

Strictly from a commercial perspective, beyond Mulan and Little Mermaid, I think Tarzan and Snow White are viable options for Disney. Pinocchio and Bambi sound like risks, but I could see them working too. Pixar and WDAS remakes are just sad options but they will be inevitable billion dollar hits too, especially Frozen, Incredibles and Toy Story.

1 minute ago, terrestrial said:

That is wrong, I've seen teen to YA women say they wont accompany their BF or loose interest or ... it based on the behaviour at social media and in RL.

Beside that, there is a certain % of GA that reacts not good to over the top or even aggressive fan behaviour, I've seen that over and over again over the decades. Generally speaking, not only for CBM counting.

Not saying the majority, but, depending on how excessive / big ... usually more than 5% to way more.

If rather 'big' its similar to the cooled down reaction the GA shows at once or over the time, if an actor or director does something perceived as negative, but the actor/director usually having a bigger impact - and again it depends on what was done by him or her-, if the fan behaviour isn't too extreme, like to step down to life threats or so, if it makes news, you can see even fast reactions IMHO.

Except the star and director shut down sexist trolls themselves? I really don't think a bunch of fat nerds on twitter are gonna deter anyone away from seeing a movie they would have otherwise seen.

10 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I mean the foster family was pretty diverse so I don't understand. I'm guessing the marketing was too male targeted tho (again crappy marketing like @TMP said).

Foster family aspect does not balance out that in the end there is a lead character who is an adult looking guy 'running around' that behaves questionable. The jokes,... wont click with all also.

But if the advertising.... release date.... I am pretty sure too, it would have made some % more at least still.

21 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I'd say the marketing also somewhat obscured the heart of the movie and made it seem like more of a comedy than it was. A lot of people I know thought the trailers were cringe/stupid looking.

• Like 2