Eric the Ape

Hobbs & Shaw Weekend Thread: 60.8M OW (6th-best August debut), 180.8M WW | TLK 38.2, OUATIH 20, FFH 7.7, TS4 7.1, Farewell 2.4

Saw this film today in Dolby Cinema. Basically, if you are a fan of the F&F franchise, you can't help but like this. It has all the elements - The Rock runs rampant, Jason Statham runs rampant, Idris Elba is all over the place. The action is non-stop over the top absurd, etc. Conversely, if you blanched at the earlier films you won't like this one either.

Me? I'm a fan, so I liked it. 

All we're missing is the rest of the cast, so to speak, but to my surprise, I didn't really miss them. The Rock and JS carried the load nicely, though more films in the future with the full cast will be welcome too. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Fascinating that Lion King and Toy Story 4 could have the same 3rd weekend DOM gross if Lion King drops a little under the projections.  Toys 4 made $33.860M in its 3rd weekend...and then started some killer holds from there...

But, even if TLK wins this weekend, I'm almost certain it drops under Toys 4 in equivalent weekend #4s...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

The base doesn't even exit yet.  We have no idea how many people signed up.   A year commitment is a lot.  After a year AMC has 860k subscribers.

I didn't bother because b/c there wasn't $23.50+ taxes + In App charges etc this month or even next to bother with it when they said they might not cover or might charge another fee for foreign or event films.  

Well, we'll know in a month how many they get rapidly - AMCs ramped fast and then leveled out...Movie Pass just went nuts til it bankrupted...Cinemark was just slow and then steady...and nothing else went anywhere:)...

1 minute ago, JB33 said:

Yep, and many people will defend it.

What's to defend.  The added theaters or the theaters that kept it had enough screens where showing TLK  on at least one of them made them more money than not showing it.  H&S is gong to open to around $55m and the third movie is doing about $20m.  After that it's movies doing sub $10m.  There are lots of screens available with July having just one wide opener a week.  Movies will start shedding theaters and screens next week when we have 83 new openers.

• Like 13

28 minutes ago, Moviefanatic said:

Woah i didn’t know TLK got an increase in theaters. I wonder if a movie will top 5000 theaters this year? Maybe Star Wars?

No, RTOS will probably be in 4300-4350 theatres. All theatre records are from April to August, the highest outside of that are Captain Marvel with 4310 in March and Lego Movie 2 with 4303 theatres. Venom is the highest past end of August with 4250 theatres.

I think RTOS won't enter the top 10 widest would need to break Eclipse 4468 (that was the record from 2010 to 2017). Frozen, I know you didn't write about it but probably will only open barely above 4000.

TFA is only the 86th widest release ever, which shows that theatre count above 4000 doesn't matter that much.

Can someone explain the love story between Dark Phoenix and Belgium, Belgium was responsible for 42k of the 81k last weekend.

Edited by Taruseth
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SteveJaros said:

Saw this film today in Dolby Cinema. Basically, if you are a fan of the F&F franchise, you can't help but like this. It has all the elements - The Rock runs rampant, Jason Statham runs rampant, Idris Elba is all over the place. The action is non-stop over the top absurd, etc. Conversely, if you blanched at the earlier films you won't like this one either.

Me? I'm a fan, so I liked it. 

All we're missing is the rest of the cast, so to speak, but to my surprise, I didn't really miss them. The Rock and JS carried the load nicely, though more films in the future with the full cast will be welcome too. 

Most important question, did you get Tenet teaser?

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

What's to defend.  The added theaters or the theaters that kept it had enough screens where showing TLK  on at least one of them made them more money than not showing it.  H&S is gong to open to around $55m and the third movie is doing about $20m.  After that it's movies doing sub $10m.  There are lots of screens available with July having just one wide opener a week.  Movies will start shedding theaters and screens next week when we have 83 new openers.

I think you might have misinterpreted my post, and reading it myself I wouldn't blame you. I wasn't talking about people defending Disney having it in that many theatres. That's fine with me. I was talking about people defending its drops, especially when it's playing in so many theatres and being given ample opportunities to dominate even more! 

I've gone on record with my opinion that, while the overall numbers are great, its drops have been disappointing. Its weekdays have been big because it was a big opener to start with but they haven't been SO impressive as to counteract the weekend drops if this does $35M this weekend or below. Disclaimer: I'm not saying it's an under-performer either, or that it's flopping, or any of that nonsense. I just thought it could do BETTER. I suppose deep down I'm really just disappointed in the film itself! A better film would have delivered the gargantuan numbers and low drops I'm talking about.

Anyway yeah, if you know me you'll know that I'm not a crusader against Disney for their practicees (though some things I've heard are admittedly pretty bad).

17 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Those poor poor theaters, being forced to carry TLK against their will. :sadno:

Joke if you want to, but let's be real, how is hogging 4500+ theaters for a film grossing in the mere 30m range remotely correlated with demand? 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Moviefanatic said:

Woah i didn’t know TLK got an increase in theaters. I wonder if a movie will top 5000 theaters this year? Maybe Star Wars?

While not impossible, highly unlikely. 

Many drive in theatres close in September/October when colder weather comes, reducing the amount of available theatres in North America by a few hundred. This is why most records are achieved in the summer. 

With the largest of the mega blockbusters now released for the year, we may have to wait until next summer for this to happen.

I still don't understand the logic of them adding additional theatres this weekend when the overall gross has declined so much.... oh well

10 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Joke if you want to, but let's be real, how is hogging 4500+ theaters for a film grossing in the mere 30m range remotely correlated with demand? 

I don't see it as hogging but rather there being a lack of a better option for theaters. Unless you're a super small theater with limited screens, there's no reason to drop Lion King yet. Besides H&S, every other existing film is pulling smaller numbers this weekend. 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

it's actually expanded to 4800 this weekend. biggest theater count for any movie this year

Capture.PNG