Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

UK TOP FIVE

Ranking Film/Distributor Weekend gross Running total
1 The Huntsman: Winter’s War(Universal) $4.3m (£3.03m) $4.3m (£3.03m)
2 Zootropolis(Disney) $3.35m (£2.36m) $26.4m (£18.6m)
3 Batman v Superman (WB) $3.23m (£2.27m) $47.3m (£33.3m)
4 Eddie The Eagle(Lionsgate) $1.8m (£1.26m) $8.1m (£5.7m)
5 Kung Fu Panda 3(Fox) $886,000 (£624,707) $18.2m (£12.83m)

UNIVERSAL

The Huntsman: Winter’s War froze out Batman v Superman to top the UK box office with a seven-day bow after opening last Monday [April 4].

Universal’s fantasy prequel/sequel posted an overall opening of $4.3m (£3.03m) from its 525 sites, including $2.1m (£1.45m) from Mon-Thurs. Without its previews, its Fri-Sun tally of $2.2m (£1.58m) would have seen it chart third.

It’s a disappointing opening, especially as it fell short ofSnow White And The Huntsman’s $5.1m (£3.59m) debut from 473 sites, including $1.4m (£975,666) in previews.

That film went on to take $22.4m (£15.8m) in the UK, a total that looks too far away for Winter’s War to match after its relatively soft opening and the big-hitting arrival of The Jungle Book this weekend.

Also for Universal, My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 added $496,000 (£349,358) for $4.7m (£3.31m) after three weeks in play.

DISNEY

Zootropolis enjoyed an excellent third weekend as it led the Fri-Sun weekend at the UK box office.

Disney’s animation dropped only 14% on its way to $3.35m (£2.36m) for $26.4m (£18.6m), with the past seven days seeing it add $8.5m (£6m) as it took full advantage of the school holidays, outplaying Winter’s Waron every day.

With the children back at school, the midweek figures will drop for Zootropolis but it should still prosper at the weekends, as long as it can wrestle some audience away from upcoming stablemate The Jungle Book.

In terms of Walt Disney Animation Studios outings,Zootropolis has overtaken Bolt’s $25.5m (£17.94m) and its next targets will be Big Hero 6’s $28m (£19.72m) andTangled’s $29.1m (£20.47m).

WARNER BROS

Batman v Superman: Dawn Of Justice dropped around 50% in its third weekend as it fell to third.

Warner Bros’ superhero battle fought to a further $3.23m (£2.27m) for $47.3m (£33.3m) after 17 days in play and, as expected, has now overtaken Man Of Steel’s $42.6m (£30m) result to make it director Zack Snyder’s best-ever UK result.

In terms of superhero films at the UK box office, Batman v Superman is now the eighth biggest of all time, and it will shortly overtake Spider-Man 3’s $47.7m (£33.55m).

Also for Warner Bros, The Man Who Knew Infinityposted a low-key $209,000 (£147,000) UK debut from its 147 sites.

LIONSGATE

Eddie The Eagle fell only 19% (excluding previews) as it enjoyed a $1.8m (£1.26m) second weekend to chart fourth.

Lionsgate’s biopic is now up to $8.1m (£5.7m) and, as expected, has become director Dexter Fletcher’s best-ever UK performer, topping Sunshine On Leith’s $6.5m (£4.6m) result.

Eddie The Eagle will hope to hold as well in the coming weeks to give it a shot of reaching £10m.

Also for Lionsgate, London Has Fallen shot to an extra $293,000 (£206,586), a respectable 33% drop, for a strong $15.1m (£10.61m) after six weeks in play.

In its Irish release, Sing Street took $88,000 (£61,951) for $959,000 (£675,781) to date.

FOX

Kung Fu Panda 3 rounded off this week’s top five after a slim 14% drop in its fifth weekend.

Fox’s animated threequel chopped to a further non-final $886,000 (£624,707) for $18.2m (£12.83m) to date. Barring a late surge, it will end its run as the lowest-grossing outing of the trilogy.

Also for Fox, Deadpool stands at a terrific $53.6m (£37.76m) following a $106,000 (£74,458) ninth weekend.

Alvin And The Chipmunks: The Road Chip and Snoopy And Charlie Brown: The Peanuts Movie have amassed $23.1m (£16.31m) and $14.7m (£10.38m), respectively.

PARAMOUNT

Crossing the £5m mark in its fourth weekend, Paramount’s 10 Cloverfield Lane unearthed an extra $355,000 (£250,000) for $7.2m (£5.03m) to date.

STUDIOCANAL

Palme d’Or winner Dheepan opened with $198,000 (£139,546) from its 48 sites, including $45,000 (£31,555) in previews, through Studiocanal.

That marks a healthy site average of $4,125 (£2,907), and director Jacques Audiard’s third-best UK bow. It’s worth noting that both A Prophet and Rust And Bonereceived wider releases at 75 and 84 sites, respectively.

Also for Studiocanal, High-Rise stands at $2.4m (£1.71m) following a $130,000 (£91,508) fourth weekend.

CURZON ARTIFICIAL EYE

Aided by a slight expansion to 44 sites, Curzon Artificial Eye’s Victoria held well with a $110,000 (£77,143) second weekend for $378,000 (£266,018).

UPCOMING RELEASES

This week sees saturation releases for Disney’s The Jungle Book and Lionsgate’s Criminal, while eOne’s Eye In The Sky receives a wide release.

Curzon Artificial Eye’s Our Little Sister, Altitude’sDespite The Falling Snow, Metrodome’s The Brand New Testament and Vertigo Releasing’s The Sweeney: Paris are among the films receiving a limited release.

Big week for Zootropolis. Schools are back so weekdays will be very soft, but weekends should make up for that. $35m will happen, $40m has a fair chance still I'd say.

Deadpool will finish with £38m, looks like BvS will literally end within £500k-1m of it, probably about £38.5m ($55m).

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 3

Jungle Book this weekend, what are people thinking?

£5-6m ($7-8.5m) 3 day sounds like a good target, although it wouldn't surprise me at all to see it go higher into the £7m+ ($10m) range, especially since it has IMAX, and 3D, which it is getting a lot of praise for.

1 hour ago, Heretic said:

Jungle Book this weekend, what are people thinking?

£5-6m ($7-8.5m) 3 day sounds like a good target, although it wouldn't surprise me at all to see it go higher into the £7m+ ($10m) range, especially since it has IMAX, and 3D, which it is getting a lot of praise for.

Sounds like a good range to me. Will probably see it in IMAX this weekend.

2 hours ago, PhilipJ2001 said:

Yeah we're looking packed with Jungle book this evening and all weekend, think it will be massive in the UK. Paddington a target maybe?

Paddington made £37m, probably a bit too high since it has no school holidays to capitalise on, but we'll see. Depending on its opening, £30m is a good target I'd say. £6m+ ow would be a good start.

Edited by Heretic

i think Civil War and lack of holidays will prevent Jungle Book from getting to Paddington numbers. I think Disney would be more than happy with £25m+ total, Cinderella which had very good legs top out at £20m and Maleficent did £20m+ total 

Civil War is gonna be huge. Apart from the fact it's getting an insane reaction, it opens on a bank holiday weekend, so essentially a 4 day weekend. I could see it breaking the opening record for a superhero film, which BvS just claimed with £14.6m. AoU holds the 4 day record with £18.02m, but again, Civil War may be able to top that with Bank holiday Monday. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Civil War is gonna be huge. Apart from the fact it's getting an insane reaction, it opens on a bank holiday weekend, so essentially a 4 day weekend. I could see it breaking the opening record for a superhero film, which BvS just claimed with £14.6m. AoU holds the 4 day record with £18.02m, but again, Civil War may be able to top that with Bank holiday Monday. 

£14-15m sounds about right for Civil War for three days. AoU three day opening was £14.4m IIRC. It has no real competition until X-Men as well since I doubt Bad Neighbours 2 and Angry Birds will make much of a dent. 

Speaking of X-Men, It'll be interesting if it can match the opening of DOFP. I think it might fall slightly short but still do £7-8m five days. 

Edited by Jonwo

14 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I seriously want what you guys are smoking, this is getting silly. Are you seriously saying Civil War will have a bigger OW than The Dark Knight Rises? That's lunacy to me.  

On the contrary, why not? This is basically and Avengers movie with the addition of Spiderman, which is getting amazing reviews and opens on a Bank holiday weekend. That's why it stands a very good chance. No lunacy there.

I see no reason whatsoever why this would open less than IM3's £11.4m. £12m 3 day and £15m 4 day is absolute minimum I can see.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I seriously want what you guys are smoking, this is getting silly. Are you seriously saying Civil War will have a bigger OW than The Dark Knight Rises? That's lunacy to me.  

Why wouldn't it?

Age of Ultron did £18M 4day so why can't Civil War do £14M 3day?