5-Odeon Metrocentre            (GB)
6-CW Glasgow                (GB)
7-Odeon Trafford            (GB)
8-Odeon Leicester Sq            (GB)
9-CW Crawley                (GB)
10-CE Feltham                (Sultan)
11-CW Milton Keynes            (GB)
12-Vue West End                (LOT)

Interesting that BFI was number 1 rather than Vue Westfield London with Ghostbusters. Where did Vue Stratford City place as it's usually in the top ten. 

56 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Interesting that BFI was number 1 rather than Vue Westfield London with Ghostbusters. Where did Vue Stratford City place as it's usually in the top ten. 

Not even in top 20 and its top film was LOT, GB, NYSM2, CI, IA5, SLOP

• Like 1

BO will be suffering this week, very hot today, up to 35 degrees. By the weekend it looks a bit cooler though so shouldn't be too bad for openers. 

I expect around £5m for ST, about £2-3m sound right for BFG. I expect it'll have good legs throughout summer, even with Dory. 

The distributor for BFG is expecting huge numbers - between £30m and £40m total. they told me it will do 'Paddington levels of business'.

I'm not convinced but I'd love to be wrong! Prebookings are looking ok at my place, nothing great though

5 minutes ago, MinaTakla said:

So what will Pets finish at? £ 30 or £ 35 or something in between like maybe 32-33?

Probably about £32-33m, though if its late legs are like DM2, £35m could still be in play. If it weren't for Dory it definitely would hit that mark. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Suicide Squad just got slapped with a 15 rating! Something tells me that might actually be a good thing here. 

Wonder what's in the film that prevented from being a 12A, the BBFC are quite lenient on swearing but violence tends to tip the balance, there have been a few films like War World Z which were 15 rated despite it being a PG-13 in America. I imagine it's not going to have much impact on box office.

7 hours ago, PhilipJ2001 said:

The distributor for BFG is expecting huge numbers - between £30m and £40m total. they told me it will do 'Paddington levels of business'.

I'm not convinced but I'd love to be wrong! Prebookings are looking ok at my place, nothing great though

I assume eOne forgot about Finding Dory which will likely eat into its audience. It'll be a solid hit but not Paddington big. 

Universal’s The Secret Life Of Pets becomes the biggest animation of 2016 to date.

UK TOP FIVE

Ranking Film/Distributor Weekend gross Running total
1 Ghostbusters(Sony) $5.82m (£4.4m) $5.82m (£4.4m)
2 Ice Age: Collision Course (Fox) $5m (£3.78m) $5m (£3.78m)
3 The Secret Life Of Pets (Universal) $2.71m (£2.05m) $34m (£25.74m)
4 The Legend Of Tarzan (WB) $1.94m (£1.47m) $8.8m (£6.65m)
5 Absolutely Fabulous: The Movie (Fox) $1.59m (£1.2m) $17.43m (£13.18m)

(Note - Dollar conversions are based on today’s rates)

SONY

UK audiences ain’t afraid of no all-female reboot. Doing what it couldn’t in North America, Ghostbusters has topped the UK box office on debut.

Sony’s much-talked about reboot scored a strong $5.82m (£4.4m) bow from its 581 sites, including $2.28m (£1.72m) in previews. Based on Fri-Sun, its $3.55m (£2.68m) tally would have also seen it top the chart.

It marks director Paul Feig’s best-ever UK opening, outgrossing Bridesmaids’ $4.68m (£3.54m) from 485 sites, including $1.36m (£1.03m) in previews. However,Ghostbusters is unlikely to match that film’s final $30.5m (£23.02m) result.

Ghostbusters’ second weekend will give an indication as to whether it’ll play like a sequel and be a fast-burner, or if it could enjoy a longer word-of-mouth propelled run.

Also for Sony, Maggie’s Plan added $90,000 (£68,000) for $344,000 (£260,000) after ten days in play.

FOX

Though it charted second, Ice Age: Collision Coursedisappointed on its official nationwide opening.

Fox’s animated sequel rolled to a non-final $5m (£3.78m) from its 571 sites, including $3.36m (£2.54m) from nationwide previews and its Scotland/Ireland opening on July 1. Its Fri-Sun tally of $1.65m (£1.24m) would have seen it chart fourth.

It’s a sharp decline from the $13.3m (£10.09m) first nationwide weekend for Ice Age: Continental Drift in 2012, which included $7m (£5.27m) in previews. Collision Courseonly opened ahead of Ice Age’s $4m (£3.03m) debut from 423 sites.

In terms of Fri-Sun tallies though, its the lowest of the series, behind Ice Age’s $2.51m (£1.9m). Collision Coursewill hope to rebound as schools go on holiday nationwide, otherwise there’s a real danger it won’t match Ice Age’s $20m (£15.09m) result.

Also for Fox, Absolutely Fabulous: The Movie rounded off this week’s top five with a non-final $1.59m (£1.2m) third weekend for an excellent $17.43m (£13.18m) to date.

It’s continuing to be a potent draw midweek, with more than $2.91m (£2.2m) taken over its second Mon-Thurs period [July 11-14], leading the market on each day.

Independence Day: Resurgence now stands at $15.48m (£11.7m) following a $460,000 (£347,438) fourth weekend.

UNIVERSAL

The Secret Life Of Pets may have dropped to third, but it remained the leading animation over Fri-Sun.

Universal’s hit animation hopped to a further $2.71m (£2.05m) for a terrific $34m (£25.74m) after four weeks in play. As expected, it is now the highest-grossing animation of the year, topping Zootropolis.

Finding Dory swims into UK cinemas on July 29 which will impact Life Of Pets, but the latter could already be on the cusp of £30m by then given that schools are soon to break up.

Also for Universal, Central Intelligence shot to a $1.01m (£766,380) third weekend for $9.59m (£7.25m) to date.

WARNER BROS

The Legend Of Tarzan fell almost 50% (excluding previews) as it swung to a $1.94m (£1.47m) second weekend.

Warner Bros’ reboot is up to $8.8m (£6.65m) after ten days in play and if it posts a sturdy hold this coming weekend, it could stand an outside chance of hitting £10m.

Also for Warner Bros, The Conjuring 2 has now surpassed its predecessor following a $278,000 (£210,000) fifth weekend for $14.2m (£10.7m), while Me Before Youstands at $12.5m (£9.45m).

Keanu struggled on its UK bow, grossing only $18,000 (£13,700) from its 50 sites.

LIONSGATE

Secret Cinema’s big summer production of Lionsgate’sDirty Dancing had the time of its life with a stonking $1.25m (£946,086) taking over its first three days.

Last year, the company’s Star Wars production of The Empire Strikes Back started with $402,000 (£304,115) from its opening four days, while in 2014, their summer production of Back To The Future grossed $953,000 (£720,479) across its first weekend.

In a limited run, Dirty Dancing holds its final dates this coming weekend.

EONE

Falling 45% (excluding previews), eOne’s Now You See Me 2 conjured up $1.16m (£875,296) for $6.41m (£4.84m) after 14 days in play.

As expected after the relatively soft opening, the sequel is unlikely to match Now You See Me’s $13.9m (£10.5m) result.

ICON FILM DISTRIBUTION

The Neon Demon couldn’t bounce back from its soft opening as it fell around 60% with only $66,000 (£49,965) gathered from its 103 sites for $372,000 (£281,144) to date through Icon Film Distribution.

METRODOME

Mark Duggan documentary The Hard Stop enjoyed a $31,000 (£23,276) UK debut, including previews, from its 21 sites through Metrodome.

CURZON ARTIFICIAL EYE

Including $1,700 (£1,311) in previews, Curzon Artificial Eye’s Summertime posted a UK opening of $19,000 (£14,032) from its 20 sites.

Edited by MinaTakla
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Does anybody sense any hype for this David Brent movie? Or is it just like the office where we're told it's a big deal and real people don't give a shit? 

I think it comes too late, I like The Office but a feature film might be too much especially as it's just Brent. Ab Fab which was funny did have a few moments where it did drag.