Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

Excellent for Deadpool. Second highest February without previews after Fifty Shades. I imagine it'll do similar total numbers to The Hangover part II and Inbetweeners 2, might be tricky to beat Inbetweeners final total with Grimsby in two weeks. i wonder if this date wasn't already crowded if it might have gone higher. 

It'll be interesting if BvS can do similar numbers. I'm thinking it'll match TDKR OW

Edited by Jonwo

Ian Sandwell is away this week, but Screen did post numbers anyway:

Openers:

Deadpool £13.7 (inc £3.7m prev)

Alvin & the Chipmunks 4 £4.3m (inc £1.7m prev)

Zoolander 2 £2.1m (inc £700k prev)

Pride & Prejudice & Zombies £358k (inc £65k prev)

A Bigger Splash £348k

Concussion £115k

Oddball and the Penguins £24k

The Iron Giant R/I £10k

Jem & the Holograms £9k (if correct, that is poor beyond the wildest of imaginations..)

Holdovers:

Dad's Army £1.3m

Goosebumps £1.1m

Revenant £700k

Spotlight £450k

Star Wars £435k

Big Short £340k

Edited by Wezzo
  • Like 1

On 2/13/2016 at 8:47 PM, Heretic said:

I've checked shows past 10pm, and a lot look like they're also gonna sell out. This is crazy. I don't even remember SW selling out the really late shows, but Deadpool is doing it with ease. 22:05 and 22:55 at Westfield Sheperd's Bush are gonna sell out, and Westfield Startford's next available show is at 22:20, which is also looking like a sellout.

The Vue in Cambridge has sold out the 23:10 and 23:40 show, and tomorrow it has sold out every single show from 10am to 10:30 pm. Madness.

I know this is a few days late, but I just wanna flag this up to you for future reference, about the Cambridge Vue. (I live in Cambridge)

Due to the low attendance that Vue Cambridge gets, they recently upgraded all their seats to huge leather VIP recliners with tons of space, as a result their number of seats in each screen decreased by ~70%. Vast majority of shows, for every single film, sell out as a result of only having 40 seats in each screen.

I don't know how many other sites Vue has done this to, but a sellout at Vue Cambridge means nothing since they got rid of most of their seats.

Their screen plans now look like this:

76e0d77e4aca9581e3812b13cfd9a805.png

6 of their 8 screens have exactly that layout, each with 40 seats. The other two screens are bigger but still have a very small number of seats compared to most big screens. (96 and 127 seats, respectively)

Needless to say, they have tons and tons of sellouts. I remember trying to book a ticket for In the Heart of the Sea two weeks after release, and every show was sold out. lol :P 

The business strategy was basically to take huge losses on major, popular films, while making smaller films, and late shows, more popular. I really doubt it makes them an increased profit but it is a strategy Vue is experimenting with at one of its lowest-performing (therefore lowest-risk) sites. So when you see two dozen sellouts at that site, take it with a pinch of salt. :) 

Just thought I should let you know for your tracking.

Edited by Total Treecall
  • Like 2

Grimsby Unlimited showing is not looking very busy, should that be a concern? I kinda figured the film is going to be a big hit.

I really thought PPZ was gonna do decently, I heard so many people talking about it, but £0.36M weekend is abysmal, even worse than its US performance.

7 hours ago, The Dark Alfred said:

I'm back from holiday. Wed numbers DP £1.65, Alvin £1.46 - shame on you UK, made this junk a hit, Goose £0.62, DA £0.44

I don't get what happened with Alvin suddenly blowing up, it's not like the last one was all that popular compared to the first two. Then again, I couldn't explain why Hotel Transylvania 2 grew so much either. 

Alvin will be close to £15m by Sunday, which is what the last one made in its entire run. That's crazy. It is half term though, and that and Goosebumps are all that are showing for kids right now.

Insane for Deadpool. Should pass £25m ($36m) by Sunday or Monday.

Edited by Heretic