Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

IWDWS is a 7 day opening but should play nicely into January. 

Sony got the best of both worlds with Matilda, the UK was always going to be the best market and they will make a nice profit from it. Does make me wonder how WB's Wonka will fare this December. 

It's interesting that The Batman beat all the MCU films this year aside from Doctor Strange. 

Top Gun Maverick was the biggest seller, with 1.2m. No Way Home second with 900k. 

Dune was the biggest seller on physical media and Downton Abbey 2 sold 190k on DVD. 

House of the Dragon biggest TV seller overall. Doctor Who biggest TV seller on physical. 

A little sample of why Avatar UK OW is quiet low

My friends who lived in UK recent said he going to watch Avatar,I’m shocked why he watch it so late,he said he doesn’t even know Avatar 2 was released when its opening weekend,after 1 weeks ,he hearing his classmates talking about the movie and the underwater visual,then he finally started to aware the movie was released and plan to watch it with his group of friends

Edited by Bruce

1 hour ago, Bruce said:

A little sample of why Avatar UK OW is quiet low

My friends who lived in UK recent said he going to watch Avatar,I’m shocked why he watch it so late,he said he doesn’t even know Avatar 2 was released when its opening weekend,after 1 weeks ,he hearing his classmates talking about the movie and the underwater visual,then he finally started to aware the movie was released and plan to watch it with his group of friends

He must’ve been living in a cave then, because there were adverts literally everywhere for Avatar prior to release. Billboards, bus ads, TV spots, etc… it’s the most promotion I’ve seen for a film over here in quite a while.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

He must’ve been living in a cave then, because there were adverts literally everywhere for Avatar prior to release. Billboards, bus ads, TV spots, etc… it’s the most promotion I’ve seen for a film over here in quite a while.

He lives in a village,but if he can hear his classmates talking Avatar,then means Avatar is truly hyped film

2 minutes ago, Bruce said:

He lives in a village,but if he can hear his classmates talking Avatar,then means Avatar is truly hyped film

I’m sure that the WOM is good, it’s been holding well since OW. I think the main reason for the lower than expected OW will have had more to do with people (particularly fans) wanting to watch it on PLF’s, because while IMAX/Dolby/4DX were all busy, the regular screenings were ghost towns. In addition to that, the World Cup final fell on the Sunday afternoon of the OW, and even though England were knocked out, it’ll still have had an effect.

4 hours ago, Bruce said:

Not as much as the first film of course. 

But it was advertised heavily. The cinemas have been blue since November lol. He’s maybe being hyperbolic, as I doubt he’d be with classmates 1 week after release (second weekend was Christmas, third new year- so no classes of any kind those two weeks really). 

I wouldn’t say it’s the most advertised film of the year though. Top Gun Maverick & Minions 2 were relentless for months on end. 

I’d actually say Top Gun Maverick received more of an advertising spend after it was released, than 90% of films to prior to release. 

Edited by Krissykins

24 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Not as much as the first film of course. 

But it was advertised heavily. The cinemas have been blue since November lol. He’s maybe being hyperbolic, as I doubt he’d be with classmates 1 week after release (second weekend was Christmas, third new year- so no classes of any kind those two weeks really). 

I wouldn’t say it’s the most advertised film of the year though. Top Gun Maverick & Minions 2 were relentless for months on end. 

I’d actually say Top Gun Maverick received more of an advertising spend after it was released, than 90% of films to prior to release. 

In China as well,Avatar is the only film this year all my friends discuss and talk about when flim release(I have Wechat connect with them)

No other film doing that,even the water gate bridge

Is some weird thing,box office some times nothing link to the reality,like,when TBALC release,is the highest grossing film in China,but except my grandparents,none of my friends talk about this,like the flim doen’t even exist,but when movie like The Wandering Earth,Avatar 2 and Avengers Endgame ,Furious 7,Frozen release,everybody I know talked about it,like a social event

Maybe that shows why personal experience has nothing to do with entire big population

Edited by Bruce