Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

I love that people routinely forget that ST09 also had a 4 day opening. The only film in May 09 that had the traditional 3 day was Angels and Demons. Wolverine and Drag me to Hell opened on Weds and Night at the Museum had a preview weekend.

ST09 $9.06m 3-day 4-day OW

STID $13.3M 4-day

• Like 1

I have a feeling Gatsby's going to do very well. Wouldn't be surprised with a £4m+ opening, and FF6 could do over £8m. ST2 will probably have a 2nd weekend over £4m too, and IM3 will continue with another good weekend.

I have a feeling Gatsby's going to do very well. Wouldn't be surprised with a £4m+ opening, and FF6 could do over £8m. ST2 will probably have a 2nd weekend over £4m too, and IM3 will continue with another good weekend.

The UK can handle them all  :D  :wub:

Gatsby is difficult to predict, don't think it'll be as big as is was in America but its going to do decently, I seriously thought it would underperform but it has been marketed very well as has The Hangover part III. Angels and Demons also had a four day opening IIRC but it was only slightly higher than Star Trek.

Man of Steel ALREADY has a sell out at the BFI IMAX for opening day. Can't remember another film barring TDKR selling out shows there this far in advance. Trek took until 3 weeks before to sell out its first showing, but Man of Steel is at least 10 days in front in that regard. Could it push £8m on Opening Weekend?

Yeah, I think it's definitely gonna break out. Another potential £30m+ grosser there. There seems to be quite a few of them this summer, but not massive films (£50m+), except perhaps Monsters University.

Man of Steel being a 12A will likely mean it may gross more than Prometheus, it's difficult to predict though but I'm going for £7-8m OW, WB isn't doing midnights or early screenings but TBH midnight screenings are rare in the UK.

Man of Steel being a 12A will likely mean it may gross more than Prometheus, it's difficult to predict though but I'm going for £7-8m OW, WB isn't doing midnights or early screenings but TBH midnight screenings are rare in the UK.

MOS should do WAY more than Prometheus, that's not really the right film to compare.

@ Olive, July 12th, right in time for 2 months of summer holidays.

Paramount’s sci-fi sequel dethrones Iron Man 3 with $12.9m (£8.4m) opening, including previews.

Following on from Iron Man 3’s $21.3m (£13.7m) debut a fortnight ago, Star Trek Into Darkness has delivered another strong opening salvo to top the UK box office.

Paramount’s 3D sci-fi sequel scored a $12.9m (£8.4m) opening, including $2.4m (£1.6m) in previews, from its 556 sites to land number one. That result is director J.J. Abram’s best-ever UK debut, topping predecessor Star Trek’s $9.1m (£6m) opening in 2009.

Star Trek is also Abrams’ strongest UK performer at $32.9m (£21.4m) and while some fellow big hitters arrive this week in the form of Fast & Furious 6 and The Great GatsbyStar Trek Into Darkness has a good chance to top that performance.

Last week’s champion Iron Man 3 still performed well in its third weekend despite dropping to second.

Disney’s 3D superhero outing blasted its way to a further $4.9m (£3.2m) to break the £30m barrier and climb to $47.8m (£31.1m). With around £20m to make up on The Avengers, it’s unlikely that Iron Man 3 can become the UK’s best Marvel performer, but it’s an excellent performance regardless.

Also for Disney, Wreck-It Ralph has grossed $36.2m (£23.5m) while Chimpanzee has taken $185,000 (£120,340) after ten days in play.

eOne’s 21 and Over fell just 25% in its second weekend to laugh its way to a further $885,000 (£579,146) for $2.9m (£1.9m) to date.

Mud enjoyed a great start to its UK run, debuting with $361,000 (£236,000) from its 71 sites. That marks director Jeff Nichols’ best-ever UK debut, as well as Mud already being Nichols’ strongest UK performer, topping the $338,000 (£220,928) result of Take Shelter in 2011.

Dead Man Down has grossed $923,000 (£603,706) to date.

Vertigo’s All Stars enjoyed a slim drop as it posted a second weekend tally of $766,000 (£498,334) and has now danced its way to $2.1m (£1.4m).

Rounding off this week’s top five was Fox’s The Croodswhich is now up to an excellent $39.3m (£25.6m) after a $587,000 (£382,096) weekend.

Also for Fox, I’m So Excited added $219,000 (£142,240) for $940,000 (£611,304) to date.

Lionsgate’s Olympus Has Fallen added $556,000 (£362,772) in its fourth weekend and has now shot its way to a healthy $9.1m (£5.9m) in the UK.

Warner Bros released Deadfall in 105 sites, resulting in a soft debut of $52,000 (£33,987). That’s lower than director Stefan Ruzowitzky’s previous feature The Counterfeiters, which opened with $180,000 (£117,091) from 61 sites in 2007.

This week sees saturation releases for Universal’s Fast & Furious 6 and Warner Bros’ The Great Gatsby [opens May 16]. Metrodome’s The Liability is among the films receiving a limited release.

http://www.screendaily.com/box-office/star-trek-tops-uk-box-office/5055927.article?blocktitle=Latest-News&contentID=1846

that seems like a weak opening. Also, maybe they should have released it later in the UK like most countries

It's a decent opening. Audience didn't really expand much like other sequels, probably due to the Trek 'stigma'. The same will probably happen in the US.

MOS should do WAY more than Prometheus, that's not really the right film to compare.

We will see.

If this followed ST09, it'd end up with £29.4m ($45m). But with all the upcoming competition, I'd say it'll end up closer to £25m.

So my $45M was a bit optimistic ...  :P