Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

1 hour ago, SchumacherFTW said:

And yet still no release date for the disc 😑

I’ve noticed the discs are getting later and later. Scream 6 is 19th of July, more than 4 months after release. Weird! 

(at least Scream 6 was #1 on digital downloads alone for the previous two weeks though). 

Edited by Krissykins

It feels more and more like the studios are trying to push us to go digital. Avatar 2 is six months from theatrical release to Blu Ray release, but it was out on VOD after 3 months.

Not to mention Everything Everywhere All At Once seemingly never getting a UK physical release for some bizarre reason, you’d think a critically acclaimed Best Picture winner would be top of a distributors list to get out on physical media (thankfully 4K Blu Rays are region free so I could import the US version).

Edited by SnokesLegs
  • Astonished 1

2 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

It feels more and more like the studios are trying to push us to go digital. Avatar 2 is six months from theatrical release to Blu Ray release, but it was out on VOD after 3 months.

Not to mention Everything Everywhere All At Once seemingly never getting a UK physical release for some bizarre reason, you’d think a critically acclaimed Best Picture winner would be top of a distributors list to get out on physical media (thankfully 4K Blu Rays are region free so I could import the US version).

Oh wow I didn’t even realise it never got a physical release. That’s leaving a lot of money on the table from those supermarket shoppers that still buy DVDs. Crazy. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Oh wow I didn’t even realise it never got a physical release. That’s leaving a lot of money on the table from those supermarket shoppers that still buy DVDs. Crazy. 

So supermarkets even carry DVDs these days? I know sainsburys for sure have fully phased them out. 

26 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

So supermarkets even carry DVDs these days? I know sainsburys for sure have fully phased them out. 

I know Asda and Morrisons do, and it’s like 90% DVDs and a handful of BluRays. I haven’t bought anything from them in a long long time. 

4K & Blu Ray were 40% of the disc market last year, so the majority of physical sales in the UK are still DVDs, surprisingly. 

2022:

Digital purchases £231m value

Disc £200m+
Digital rental £132m

Digital purchase dropped while rental increased, both compared to 2021. 

20 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

I think it has something to do with submitting to the BBFC for a rating which costs money, VOD movies don't need a rating or they can possibly use the cinema one.

Here in Ireland loads don't get a physical release and I suspect it's due to having to submit to the IFCO for one. When I go to London or Scotland I'm surprised at the amount of Blu Rays I see. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I know Asda and Morrisons do, and it’s like 90% DVDs and a handful of BluRays. I haven’t bought anything from them in a long long time. 

4K & Blu Ray were 40% of the disc market last year, so the majority of physical sales in the UK are still DVDs, surprisingly. 

2022:

Digital purchases £231m value

Disc £200m+
Digital rental £132m

Digital purchase dropped while rental increased, both compared to 2021. 

DVD having such a high share is probably down to a few factors. 

Lots of stuff still not released on Bluray or 4K 

It's cheaper 

So many people out there don't realise there's a difference in quality. 

27 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

DVD having such a high share is probably down to a few factors. 

Lots of stuff still not released on Bluray or 4K 

It's cheaper 

So many people out there don't realise there's a difference in quality. 

Absolutely, especially that last point. I think they know, but they just don’t care. 

There were 4 showtimes at my local for SpiderVerse on Thursday. Was out,so couldn’t see how much they sold. 

2 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

So how much over the weekend. 5m or more?

Charlie expecting £8-9m 4 day. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

There were 4 showtimes at my local for SpiderVerse on Thursday. Was out,so couldn’t see how much they sold. 

Charlie expecting £8-9m 4 day. 

Well tbf more like 8M but seems like Europe is playing closer to Wonder Woman than Homecoming, so more like 6-7M

Probably not a reflection of the entire country, but presales for today at Vue Stratford in East London are utterly INSANE. 

Virtually every single showing from the first one at 10:50am until the 9pm showing is sold out (15 shows). Unbelievable. Don’t think I’ve seen anything like it for an animated film tbh

Edited by Heretic
  • Like 2
  • Disbelief 1

2 hours ago, Heretic said:

Probably not a reflection of the entire country, but presales for today at Vue Stratford in East London are utterly INSANE. 

Virtually every single showing from the first one at 10:50am until the 9pm showing is sold out (15 shows). Unbelievable. Don’t think I’ve seen anything like it for an animated film tbh

A different story completely up here (schools aren’t off and the weather is beautiful), but the 6pm and 7pm shows should sell out before they start.