Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

it's always really quiet before christmas in the UK. expect things to pick up next week.although family films have been underperforming all year since easter here. the february holiday was very good but since then the family films have mostly disappointed. I think it's a mixture of too much competition, the economy affecting families more than most and poor quality films.

it's always really quiet before christmas in the UK. expect things to pick up next week.

It does seem like Avatar's launch two years ago was the exception and not the rule. Even with it being quite for this weekend, I still don't get why Tron launched so poorly last year.How many films is your cinema being filled with from boxing day Phillip?

it's always really quiet before christmas in the UK. expect things to pick up next week.although family films have been underperforming all year since easter here. the february holiday was very good but since then the family films have mostly disappointed. I think it's a mixture of too much competition, the economy affecting families more than most and poor quality films.

So chance are that this weekend will increase?? or is it bad this year with 24th and 25th falling on sat/sun??Weekdays should be huge

It does seem like Avatar's launch two years ago was the exception and not the rule. Even with it being quite for this weekend, I still don't get why Tron launched so poorly last year.How many films is your cinema being filled with from boxing day Phillip?

Tron suffered from the terrible weather. Avatar IIRC launched really well, its run was incredible.A few family films have had good runs. I think 3D has meant families have become more selected although we've seen The Smurfs having strong legs as has Arthur Christmas and Rio.

Tron suffered from the terrible weather. Avatar IIRC launched really well, its run was incredible.A few family films have had good runs. I think 3D has meant families have become more selected although we've seen The Smurfs having strong legs as has Arthur Christmas and Rio.

we're closed boxing day but have MI4, Sherlock, NYE, Chipmunks, Puss In Boots, Happy Feet and Arthur Christmas from the 27th.although I expect Arthur Christmas to completely die after christmas eve.

I guess that decent for Sherlock...nothing even close to great though.Arthur Christmas has had, by far the best run this holiday season.I never know what to predict for movies on Christmas weekend because Christmas eve, do people really go to the cinema?X-mas day obv not, and boxing day, millions are out shopping in the sales...MI4 should do well though, especially through the week and next week. Same for Dragon Tattoo.

just to illustrate my point, here are the figures for the last five years for the weekends directly before and directly after christmas. 2008 and 2009 seem to have the figures missing for the weekend directly after christmas so i've taken the first one in january. in 2010 christmas fell on a saturday so i've got the week before as well.2006Before: £8,456,532After: £15,649,7872007Before: £11,145,716After: £21,799,5432008Before: £8,642,215After: £12,717,5602009 (Avatar Year)Before: £13,925,548After: £15,940,3772010Before: £6,829,114Before: £6,159,633After: £17,666,560All those numbers are the sum of the top 15 films nationwideThe weekend just gone totalled about £10.7mThere is an argument that the figures go up massively because there's always a big film released on boxing day, but there's a reason that the distributors choose that date - because the after christmas period is always very strong and the before-christmas period is nearly always weak.

I never know what to predict for movies on Christmas weekend because Christmas eve, do people really go to the cinema?

At my cinema we're usually pretty busy on Christmas Eve. We already have a lot of pre-bookings for Arthur Christmas. We close at about 5pm though so there's no evening business.