Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

StudioCanal’s F1 biopic overtakes Insidious: Chapter 2 with $2.1m (£1.34m) second weekend.

eOne figures to come…

Despite not debuting top last week, Rush has showcased a good engine to take pole position at the UK box office in its second week.

StudioCanal’s biopic of the rivalry between F1 drivers James Hunt and Niki Lauda sped to $2.1m (£1.34m), posting the week’s highest average of $4,623 (£2,880) in the process. After ten days in play, Rush stands at $7.5m (£4.67m).

Speaking to ScreenDaily, John Trafford-Owen, head of UK theatrical distribution at StudioCanal, said: “To be number one in our second weekend, despite a softer market, is very pleasing and shows what we have always believed - that the word of mouth is proving invaluable for a sustained run in cinemas now, and hopefully for over the coming weeks.”

SONY

Retaining third spot for a second consecutive week, Sony’sWhite House Down held well to record a $1.1m (£710,772) second weekend.

Roland Emmerich’s latest has now shot its way to $4m (£2.5m) in its attempt to overhaul Olympus Has Fallen’s $9.8m (£6.1m) UK tally.

Despite a new cut released in cinemas, One Direction: This is Us didn’t post a boost in its fourth weekend, adding $586,000 (£365,148) for $11.7m (£7.3m) to date through Sony, still around £2.5m away from Michael Jackson’s This is It’s $15.3m (£9.8m).

Also for Sony, Elysium is edging closer to District 9’s $14.4m (£9m) and currently stands at $13.9m (£8.7m).

Released in 79 sites through Sony, Cold Comes the Nightcould only manage a $7,800 (£4,833) debut.

UNIVERSAL

Posting a slim drop of 36% in its third weekend, Universal’sAbout Time fell to fourth as it took $1.1m (£700,000).

Richard Curtis’ alleged directorial swansong is now up to $8.5m (£5.3m) and should overtake The Boat That Rocked’s $9.8m (£6.23m) in the coming week, even if it won’t get close to Love Actually’s $59m (£36.8m).

Also for Universal, sci-fi R.I.P.D. recorded an $810,000 (£505,000) opening in the UK at an average of $2,164 (£1,349) to chart seventh. That ranks as director Robert Schwentke’s lowest ever UK debut from a wide release, previously the $2.3m (£1.4m) debut of The Time Traveller’s Wife.

The year’s biggest hit to date Despicable Me 2 stands at $73.9m (£46.07m) after taking $353,000 (£220,000) in its 13th weekend through Universal.

WARNER BROS

Brad Anderson’s thriller The Call recorded a $658,000 (£410,000) debut through Warner Bros. That compares favourably with Halle Berry’s last lead wide release, Perfect Stranger, which debuted to $444,000 (£277,047) back in 2007.

Also for Warner Bros, We’re the Millers is up to $12.2m (£7.6m) following a $550,000 (£343,000) weekend. The comedy will require significant holds over the coming weeks if it’s to overtake Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story’s $15.6m (£10.03m).

DISNEY

Cars spin-off Planes has now flown to $12.4m (£7.8m) in the UK after adding $372,000 (£232,282) this weekend through Disney.

Meanwhile, Monsters University has overtaken A Bug’s Lifein terms of Pixar outings in the UK. Disney’s prequel stands at $47.27m (£29.48m), narrowly topping A Bug’s Life’s $47.21m (£29.45m).

ARTIFICIAL EYE

Continuing its excellent run in the UK, Artificial Eye’s The Great Beauty grossed a further non-final $155,000 (£96,395) for a healthy running total of $768,000 (£479,013).

FOX

Fantasy sequel Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters has taken $11.2m (£6.97m) to date following a non-final $112,000 (£69,988) weekend.

Also for Fox, The Way, Way Back and Epic have amassed $2.2m (£1.4m) and $21.9m (£13.7m), respectively.

PARAMOUNT

In its fourth weekend, Paramount’s Pain and Gain added $40,000 (£25,000) and currently stands at $3.9m (£2.4m).

http://www.screendaily.com/box-office/rush-tops-uk-box-office/5060723.article?blocktitle=Latest-box-office-news&contentID=622

Cinema counts for harrow for FridayR.i.p.d (2D), 2 guns, cold comes the night, 1D extended cut, pain and gain, satyagraha and the conjuring are all gonePrisoners 6Runner runner 6Blue jasmine 5Insidious 2 5Rush 5White House down 5About time 4Diana 4Girl most likely 4Justin and the knights of valour 3The call 3Grand masti 2Phata poster Nikla hero 2We're the millers 2Despicable me 2 1Elysium 1Monsters university 1Percy Jackson 2 1R.I.P.D (3D) 1Riddick 1Planes 2 sat and sun showings, 1 Monday showing

Edited by Films

October has Sunshine on Leith, Captain Phillips, Cloudy 2, Enders Game, Turbo and Thor the Dark World. I think Cloudy 2 will do very well, both it and Turbo have previews which will inflate their OW. Captain Phillips has a midweek release and IMAX, it doesn't strike me as an IMAX film.

Look at October4th OctoberFilth expands to the whole UK. Sunshine on leith (how can anyone make a musical based on the proclaimers) and thanks for sharing are saturation releases. How I live now opens wide and Metallica opens in limited 3D and IMAX. Don't want to see any of these films.11th OctoberRomeo and Juliet is the only saturation release (I forgot this was coming out, barely any advertising). Then you have baggage claim (I actually want to see this), the fifth estate (what the hell are the 10 second teaser doing in the trailer section while your watching a film at vue) and machete kills opening wide.18 OctoberNow the good films start.i want to see all the saturation films being released especially the later 2. The films are escape plan, captain Philips and turbo. Enough said is getting a wide release23 OctoberBad grandpa looks great and will do well and Is Pudsey the movie getting released, seen no advertising but if it is that is two BGT films in THREE DAYS.25 OctoberCloudy2 and Enders game are saturation releases. Both look good. One chance is also a saturation release. Saw trailer today and there was about 5 seconds of BGT in it. There is a sequel to the reef in wide release30 OctoberTHOR. THOR DOUBLE BILL. I think that's all that's needs to be said31 OctoberOriginal nightmare elm street going wide. Haunting in Connecticut 2 (another sequel that somehow got made like the reef 2) opens limited