YM!

YourMother’s Sensational Y6 Reviews /w/ a Popeyes Chicken Sandwich inside: Now I’m a head out.

July:

He-Man IV: The Scourge of Snake Men

It is pretty much exactly what we expect from He-Man films now. Fun action packed sequences, glorious cheese, and less than stellar character development. Though more Skeletor is always a plus.

B-

Yolanda Dreams Of Yogurt

Simple and sweet.

B-

The Academy

This is a lesser version of last month’s Tenoyaah, and I can see why it was divisive in Y2. While some of the elements work, most of the film falls flat on its face. In other words, elixir bad, Elliot sad.

C

de Blob 

The animation in this one is lovely as the watercolor feel is extravagant, and the characters are all charming - in particular Robbie as de Blob. The story may be predictable but it’s a fun film for families despite it not reaching the heights of the Bounty Hamster franchise or Lumberjanes 

B

• Like 1

August (Most of August...)

The Who’s Tommy

A tonally inconsistent musical biopic that doesn’t really wow the senses but just sort of meanders. Sorry Pastaman, this film doesn’t work for me.

C-

Schadenfreude

Foreign Language films are always a plus but this movie is a minus due to unlikeable characters and an unsatisfactory ending.

D+

The Ancient Magus’ Bride and The King Of Cats

While the worldbuilding and visuals are lovely with some eccentric and charming characters, the story is the film’s weakest link as well as in my opinion, the romantic relationship that the film is trying to paint, comes across as awkward to me.

C+

3:38 AM

I am heading back to bed on this one.

D

The Girlfriend Hoax

A well done documentary about fake relationships that manages to intrigue. 

B

• Like 1

Hired Guns

Spoiler

A few months ago as I returned from my vacation in Barbados, I fell in love with the Western genre upon watching perhaps one of the best films of 2018, The Ballad Of Buster Scruggs and was inspired to watch films like The Hateful Eight Zane The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. 

Hired Guns while somewhat simplistic is a highly engaging Western film and some of the most fun I had reading a film this year. The characters are all entertaining as Driver steals the show, the writing is entertaining and the action sequences sparkle. In other words, this despite it’s small charm, is a delightfully done film.

Dong?

Spoiler

Yes.

Spoiler

A+

tumblr_inline_mqrh26jIU11qz4rgp.jpg

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Astonished 3

September

The Feminist

The schroedinger cat of CAYOM flicks combining Christian values, feminism and gore fest that create an unsatisfying and confusing result.

C

Live2ream 

Delightfully daffy and absurd, Live2ream despite being a mess of a film, is a rousing time to watch.

B

The Last Policeman

It’s a Numbers drama. You know what you’re getting; strong characters, smart writing, a killer score, and some hard hitting drama. What’s not to love?

A

Baseball Boy: The Base Thief

Another one of those daffy animated films I surprisingly enjoyed even though it’s somewhat. It’s more likeable than the predecessor helps.

C+/B-

The Horn

Yeah, this one didn’t do much for me. While the action is great, the story is somewhat predictable and the characters didn’t charm me.

C+

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

October

Shiverin’ Gulch

Despite some inconsistencies with the historical settings and an off second/third act where it almost feels like two different parts of the film, the film is delightfully fun joyride with standouts from Debicki and Moner, which gleefully reminds in sort of a weird way, Pirates Of The Carribean.

B

The Day Of The Tentacle 

You ever want something so badly you fail to realize what you got. Well for me, it was recommended this for Y6, by no means is it awful as the characters have some good quirks but it falls flat a lot of the times resulting in another disappointing time travel cop.

C-

The Trapped Keeper

Yeah, I don’t get this one either. Alison Brie and Jesse Eisenberg definitely give strong performance and Marsai gets a good role, while it has some moments of beauty in the beginning and the end, I found it too quirky for me.

B-

Fiesta Loca

It is always nice to get cultural representation in CAYOM and I get why others like this. It’s fun, has likeable characters with some delicious Peña ham (I regret not doing Tigre this year cause you get a huge dose), and heartwarming at times. My only problem is that it’s somewhat predictable and at times a bit cheesy.

B+

Voicemail

There is a reason Red Cresent slays at horror and this film is one of them. While I don’t think it reaches the heights of Y3’s Silent Hill, it has a lot of chilling scares, great characters with delightfully haunting script and tone. My problem is the second half doesn’t quite reach the same scares as the first until the ending. All and all this is great.

B+/A-

But wait, there’s more...

@Xillix bump Eden to a B+/A- and SP4RK to an A-

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

November

Aeroplane 

Yeah, I didn’t enjoy this one. There’s a lot of good in this, the craft is impressive as the ambition is presence, Lynch gives a strong performance and the music is well used but there’s a lot of things that don’t work. The risks taken tend to fall flat, the romance between King and Lynch is unsettling, and the conflict is non existent. I didn’t have too much of an issue with the band mates because I felt in this predicament, they honestly where at a loss of what to do. But sadly, Aeroplane crashes when it should fly.

C-

Spring Awakening 

I love a good musical as it’s probably one of my favorite genres but this one’s doesn’t work for me. Despite a strong cast and solid music, the themes aren’t handled well. It’s not as bad as Aeroplane, but they could’ve handled some of the topics such as suicide better.

C+

Understand

While an interesting concept, the film lacks the concept and themes to really make an impact, though I like the ending.

D+/C-

Paradise Island

The true winner of November with great writing, strong characters and well handled themes of environmentalism works. However, while I didn’t think it reached the heights of Otherspace. It might be a close second for Hourglass.

A+

tumblr_inline_mqrh26jIU11qz4rgp.jpg

XJ9: Rebirth

MLAATR was one of my favorite cartoons as a child and I enjoyed the film. The action sequences are truly exhilarating, and the themes of nostalgia work. Dyer is a particular standout as well as Pugh. A few things that didn’t work was the film was somewhat overstuffed but after Mario/GLC I can’t really complain. The second problem was the handling of some things, like Wakeman or the character of Sharp who wasn’t a strong villain. But I’m extremely excited for the sequels.

B

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 1

Spoiler

Baseball Boy: The Base Thief - @Ethan Hunt

Spoiler

Long ass Jeremy Renner movie -  @Blankments and EGK

24.)

Spoiler

Bleach - @Reddroast and @SLAM!