kayumanggi

DHD Friday (03.23) 68.25 M | THE HUNGER GAMES (Crow-serving on-going :))

I can see this going down. IF Saturday's above 50M, Sunday drop shouldn't be that large

The spillover effect has to happen to beat TDK. I just think there is just too many showings for it to happen. But this film has defied all logic so far so I wouldn't doubt it at this point.

Now I wonder what the sequel will do if THG turns out to have good reception.

I just hope it doesn't crash, and burn like the Narnia sequels did. Edited by riczhang

I never thought it could break $140M so I was wrong on that. This is the biggest out of nowhere phenom I've ever seen witnessed. I had heard so much about Twilight in the months before that opened, but I didn't hear a peep about this until a couple of months ago. You never know.

• Like 1

Now I wonder what the sequel will do if THG turns out to have good reception.

This appears to be more like Harry Potter 1 and Spider-Man. Those were the most popular films of their respective serues due to huge interest from casual moviegoers. It's hard for the sequels to match these films when the first film has this advantage. But, I could be wrong.

This appears to be more like Harry Potter 1 and Spider-Man. Those were the most popular films of their respective serues due to huge interest from casual moviegoers. It's hard for the sequels to match these films when the first film has this advantage. But, I could be wrong.

I think you might be right. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the highest grossing film in the series if it ends up at $350M or higher.

Potter decreased because it the audience reception was meh outside of the fanbase.

With a 150m opening, it has a good chance of reaching 400m. That would be extremely tough for any sequel to beat. Catching fire will probably break the OW record but it won't beat THG's total.

I think Catching Fire can reach the current record, but if TDKR breaks that record, and grosses like 200M, that record's not being broken, except maybe by the final HG movie.

Also look by Sunday for a humongous opening worldwide day-and-date this weekend on an estimated 7,700 prints everywhere except for handful of markets (which include Spain, Italy, South Africa, Japan, South Korea, Venezuela. The first international numbers coming in from Australia scored a huge $1.8 million (USD) on 471 screens, which was bigger than the debuts down under for Iron Man ($1.0M) and Quantum Of Solace ($1.0M). I’ve learned that Australia number went up a big +20% the next day – which is unusual.

My goodness.

I don't think it will be massive overseas (hopefully decent though). In the UK at least it's not got a lot of hype behind it, and my showing on Friday night at 8pm was only half full. However, It should have very good legs so the OW may not be big but it should make a good amount OS.

Catching Fire will be a different story on the other hand.

I think THG franchise skipped the 'Twilight' stage and jumped right to 'New Moon' stage. So we should be see similar totals or slight decrease for the following movies.The second one will definitely increase overseas though.

I think THG franchise skipped the 'Twilight' stage and jumped right to 'New Moon' stage. So we should be see similar totals or slight decrease for the following movies.The second one will definitely increase overseas though.

I dont think its fair to compare with twilight consider it has almost 4 Quad appeal plus the response is really good. But it would be tough for sequels to increase dramatically.

It needs to increase 6 percent today without midnights to break Spidey's Saturday record, I think that it'll get there, but just barely.

I'm on board, the more records THG sets, the better.

Potter decreased because it the audience reception was meh outside of the fanbase.

HG's reaction outside the fanbase isn't meh though, it's actually quite positive, however if this does end up grossing north of 350-375 million, then decrease is still almost guaranteed, unless we get some epic film for a sequel.

I just hope it doesn't crash, and burn like the Narnia sequels did.

Catching Fire has the advantage there. To me, the book is just as good as THG. For the Narnia series, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe was the only really good book in the series. I was surprised that they even made the other two Narnia movies. I really think Catching Fire can do better than THG.

Catching Fire has the advantage there. To me, the book is just as good as THG. For the Narnia series, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe was the only really good book in the series. I was surprised that they even made the other two Narnia movies. I really think Catching Fire can do better than THG.

I do agree, but I am worried about Mockingjay, because compared to the first 2 that book really did suck, IMO anyways.