chasmmi

Top 100 Video Game Countdown Thread | We've Reached the Top 20

15th

Joel - Last of Us (240 points, 2 top 5, 1 top 10) 

This game got me back into console gaming. 

True story. In the UK I was very much a Nintendo guy, but living alone in Korea, the Wii was not really a console condusive to playing alone at home. So... I bought an XBox 360 and... I bought about 3 games for it (plus the Fable trilogy). XBox live insisting that living in Korea meant I needed a Korean billing address to use it online did not help. 

Then I did some dogsitting for a friend with a Playstation and I played Last of Us. Well for somebody who had played solely League of Legends for about 2 years at this point, Last of Us seemed like the greatest game of all time, with the greatest story and the greatest characters ever. 

Playing other games since has dampened my opinion a little, but I still feel it is a top 20 game of all time with 2 of the best characters ever seen in gaming. So yeah, I agree with this pick. 

• Like 8

14th

GLaDoS - Portal (242 points, 4 top 5, 1 top 10) 

I can only assume that cake is referencing some birthday party scene in Portal or something. I dunno, but from the above video, I can only assume that Glados (fuck whatever capitalization I am apparently supposed to do) is some kindly helper droid who offers you comfort and wisdom as you venture forward into a land of portals and pixies. 

Maybe she even offers you baked goods as the in game power ups? 

• Like 5

13th

Donkey Kong - Mario Kart (247 points, 3 top 10) 

Quick aside, I kind of enjoyed Pixels. Although it could have been much better. 

Anyway Donkey Kong: Not quite a donkey, not quite King Kong, he is a barrel chucking, damsel stealer ummm... with a heart of gold? Or at least a heart that goes on a genocidal rampage against crocodiles if he is out of bananas. 

Donkey Kong Country is my favourite 2D platformer, and also my go to SNES Mario Kart pick so I have a personal soft spot for the guy. It appears a decent number of folks share that sentiment.

• Like 5

12th

Pikachu - Pokemon Snap (250 points, 3 top 5, 1 top10) 

And pokemon officially misses the top 10. That makes a fair number of big Nintendo franchises that missed the mark: Donkey, Pokemon, Kirby, errr... Pikmin, to name but a few. 

I am no fan of Pokemon, but I was expecting ol' lightning hamster here to make a bigger play for the top spot. Apparently I was wrong, kinda glad about that.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1
  • ...wtf 1

11th

Luigi - Mario is Missing (255 points, 2 top 5, 1 top10) 

I am not sure if this also includes Goouigi. 

It's Mario painted green and that is enough for him to be my personal favourite. (Actually he has been bumped down to third on my personal list since 2 years ago. A choice that it turns out has cost him 8th place on this list.)

Luigi has  managed to carve himself a decent little franchise for himself outside of the Mario world. He also got to be murdered in cold blood for a Smash Bros promo which was harrowing, 

Anyhow, let's hope that 2020 kicks of the decade of Luigi,. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, chasmmi said:

14th

GLaDoS - Portal (242 points, 4 top 5, 1 top 10) 

I can only assume that cake is referencing some birthday party scene in Portal or something. I dunno, but from the above video, I can only assume that Glados (fuck whatever capitalization I am apparently supposed to do) is some kindly helper droid who offers you comfort and wisdom as you venture forward into a land of portals and pixies. 

Maybe she even offers you baked goods as the in game power ups? 

Are you telling me that you've never played portal?! 

10th

Pacman - Pacman (257 points, 3 top 5,) 

He is almost a full yellow circle, but in recent years he has acquired eyes; that's character development right there. 

He also is married to his own clone wearing a bow, that is quite a quirk you don't see modern day characters doing. And he devours drugs off the floor to enable him to consume the souls of the dead, so he is also pretty darn dark. 

Clearly this is why he is considered superior to all but 9 characters ever committed to ummm.... cartridge? 

• Like 6
  • Disbelief 1

9th

Samus Aran - Super Metroid (258 points, 1 top 5, 2 top 10) 

Metroid was a groundbreaking games in so many ways. 

It pioneered new ways to play games and it was damn difficult. It also blew the minds of young boys everywhere when they completed the game to realise the super cool, radical, bodacious dude they had been kicking arse with, was actually a bodacious dudette. 

They were then blown again when they completed the game once more and found out that the bodacious dudette was also a bodacious bikini babe. So.. yay feminism? 

• Like 6

8th

Ellie - Last of Us (263 points, 1 First, 1 top 10) 

The highest ranked character to have (as of writing) only one game to their name.

In fact, if you ignore Joel, I think the next highest finisher within this criteria may be... It's Arthur Morgan in 21st. It's not surprising really as the game was, as previously mentioned, a revelation and Ellie was a shining part of that. Time will only tell whether the imminent sequel will manage to take her to even greater heights, or possibly take off some of the sheen if she suffers a misfire.  

• Like 4

7th

Lara Croft - Tomb Raider (269 points, 1 First, 2 top 10) 

And now we reach the highest rated female character on the list and it is one of the most enduring. 

Lara Croft has been an icon in gaming for over 20 years now. In fact she has existed long enough to be the game that copies the innovations that were inspired by copying the innovations of her original games. 

Also I have probably now seen Lara croft die in more various ways that an video game character I have ever helmed. And I am a bad Mortal Kombat player.  

• Like 3
  • ...wtf 1

6th

Kratos (280 points, 1 First, 2 top 5, 1top 10) 

Of all the reinventions that any video game character has gone through over the years, Kratos may well be my favourite. 

They took an angry, fun to control, crazy dude, and gave him depth, nuance and actual reason to be drawn in by him emotionally. Kratos and Atreus took me on a journey that very few games will ever get close to. 

I would start screaming for a God of War film, but nothing will ever surpass the 8 hour epic that is the cutscene film of this game. It is perfect and I need to find a way to freeze myself until the sequel is released. 

• Like 5
  • ...wtf 1

5th

Master Chief (299 points, 2 top 5, 2 top 10) 

oh wait, god damn typos...

It is a helmeted space marine that craves sexy time with a blue alien girl. 

Okay, I see it now, it is the fantasy role of every young stallion out there. I kid of course, I wouldn't lower myself to playing an Xbox game, so cannot comment accurately on how good this 21st century Boba Fett is in a gameplay setting. :) 

Now let's leave talk of weird blue aliens behind shall we... 

• Like 4
  • ...wtf 1

4th

Sonic - Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games (345 points, 3 top 5, 3 top 10)

And Sega's top character is obviously Sonic. 

It is a testament to how good this guy can be that he still ranks so highly despite being the victim of so many bad games in the past decade or so that it is just sad. 

Maybe one day we will get the incredible 3D world Sonic game that we've been waiting for since the Dreamcast, but until then... well a hear there is a movie coming out. Maybe that will turn the tide., 

• Like 3
  • ...wtf 1