kayumanggi

DHD Saturday (03.24): 50.0 M | THE HUNGER GAMES

I just need to say this, because I need to broadcast it somewhere.I hope everyone that shorted or sold off their LGF stock on Thursday (-7% and made me very grumpy) is saying to themselves, to quote my favorite TV character ever, "I think I made a huge mistake." We'll see what happens when the market opens on Monday, but damn. What is this franchise worth right now to Lions Gate? I mean the revenue streams...Katniss is the new Luke freakin Skywalker. Of course the sequel box office numbers are going to be off the charts, and DVDs will be a gold mine. But I can't even fathom what HBO and Starz and Encore will bid. Same for the networks for the free tv exculsive. Dolls (there's already a Katniss Barbie), games, both regular and MMPG....It's going to be raining money on Vancouver and Santa Monica for years and years. I can't imagine how Icahn must feel. Couldn't have happened to a more deserving SOB.

Don't worry. DH2 has a big fat 3D asterisk next to it. Noctis is probably depressed right now that the final Potter flick with months of "epic" hype from WB is going to end up selling less tickets than a movie that basically came out nowhere in the last month or so. :P

Most of us Potter loonies are rooting for Hunger Games. I don't think Noctis or anyone cares if this beats DH2.
  • Like 2

Don't worry. DH2 has a big fat 3D asterisk next to it. Noctis is probably depressed right now that the final Potter flick with months of "epic" hype from WB is going to end up selling less tickets than a movie that basically came out nowhere in the last month or so. :P

Noctis defends DH2 at every turn. I'm surprised he isn't here saying the OW record is still safe. :lol:

I just need to say this, because I need to broadcast it somewhere.I hope everyone that shorted or sold off their LGF stock on Thursday (-7% and made me very grumpy) is saying to themselves, to quote my favorite TV character ever, "I think I made a huge mistake."We'll see what happens when the market opens on Monday, but damn. What is this franchise worth right now to Lions Gate? I mean the revenue streams...Katniss is the new Luke freakin Skywalker. Of course the sequel box office numbers are going to be off the charts, and DVDs will be a gold mine. But I can't even fathom what HBO and Starz and Encore will bid. Same for the networks for the free tv exculsive. Dolls (there's already a Katniss Barbie), games, both regular and MMPG....It's going to be raining money on Vancouver and Santa Monica for years and years.I can't imagine how Icahn must feel. Couldn't have happened to a more deserving SOB.

To think that just a few years ago Saw was their biggest franchise and their most promising future money maker. :lol: :lol: :lol:

a movie that basically came out nowhere in the last month or so. :P

Hunger Games has had its drumbeat going on steadily for two years now. Katniss premiered on the cover of Entertainment Weekly last year. Lionsgate has amply used their Summit assests to emulate the Twilight marketing, but with their own edge.Out of nowhere? Nah. Off the "non-sequal opening weekend" radar? Sure.

Noctis defends DH2 at every turn. I'm surprised he isn't here saying the OW record is still safe. :lol:

:lol:Noctis is too funny. He's a big HG fan but he can't help himself to say why it's inferior to Potter/DH2 at every turn. Fact is, it's having a bigger OW admissions wise. Simply astonishing. :o

+1 Include me in that group. And I haven't even read these yet...

Yep. Love THG and love Potter and I know for a fact Noctis does too. Now obviously if you ask him to pick one you know what he'll chose, but most of us Potter fans are THG fans, and vice versa. Twilight on the other hand.... :huh:

Well shorters know the game very well, short and distort. Short and make money on the way down, and then ride the wave up on Monday there's gonna be a huge amount of covers come Monday. (null)