kayumanggi

DHD Saturday (03.24): 50.0 M | THE HUNGER GAMES

Can we see a sub 20% Sunday drop like TDK? I think I would die. :lol:

DH2 was sub-20%, but TDK was sub-10%. March is a tough time for Sunday drops. THG will do very well to get in the same neighborhood as SM3's 22% Sunday drop in early May (also a tough time for Sunday drops). A drop lower than that would be insane. But the first two days have been insane, so...

$49 million would be an astounding number for Saturday. That would probably put it in line for something in the mid-150s for the weekend.Even though it's clearly not behaving like a typical non-sequel, the fact that the first Hunger Games is doing this well makes me wonder just how high Catching Fire might climb in its first three days.

I honestly believe we might see the first $200m OW with that one, but that's a discussion for another topic.

But catching fire might open on a Wednesday seeing as it's thanksgiving when it's being released so it won't get to 200m. And I can't there were a few posters doubting that it could beat Alice as late as this week.....

Edited by riczhang

DH2 was sub-20%, but TDK was sub-10%. March is a tough time for Sunday drops. THG will do very well to get in the same neighborhood as SM3's 22% Sunday drop in early May (also a tough time for Sunday drops). A drop lower than that would be insane. But the first two days have been insane, so...

With spring break still going strong in curtain regions we could see a sub 24% drop :wacko: beyond amazing.

not having to worry about kid-on-kid violence,

Potter and Twilight had massive but very finite audiences domestically (I would argue they even do worldwide, too). Their admissions would fluctuate between films, sure, but at the end of the day Potter's audience never grew past the first movie and Twilight's audience never grew past the second.The exciting thing about Hunger Games is that we have no idea what size its audience really is yet. It's far more of a four-quadrant franchise than Twilight and maybe even Potter. Could Catching Fire actually increase upon this debut? Or is this the pinnacle of HG's hype/

Catching Fire is going to be an even better picture. With double the budget, lessons (presumably) learned about the shaky cam, and

no worries about kid-on-kid violence, as well as the ability to be a bit more graphic because they're all adults...

. . . I mean, you never know until you see it, but I think Nina and Gary are going to nail it, and hit marks that have never been seen before.

But catching fire might open on a Wednesday seeing as it's thanksgiving when it's being released so it won't get to 200m.And I can't there were a few posters doubting that it could beat Alice as late as this week.....

Its got an official release date for the 22nd of November, the film will bust 200m fo sho.

About what percentage Sunday drop would this need to beat TDK assuming the $49m Sat sticks?

-14% to match it, assuming it doesn't go up. Anything below that and its topped. My gut tells me that it'll be closer to -20%, but who knows with this thing.

not having to worry about kid-on-kid violence,

Catching Fire is going to be an even better picture. With double the budget, lessons (presumably) learned about the shaky cam, and

no worries about kid-on-kid violence, as well as the ability to be a bit more graphic because they're all adults...

. . . I mean, you never know until you see it, but I think Nina and Gary are going to nail it, and hit marks that have never been seen before.

Ya, with the

kid on kid removed

I expect a substancial increase in opening wknd, and perhaps in total as well.

If this 49m is underestimated and it actually ends up being 50m+ then TDK has a very realistic shot at being passed up by this. But if the 49m is accurate then 154-155m sounds about right. Amazing opening either way.

The flip side is the Friday estimate might not hold. Both TDK and DH2's Friday estimates (originally reported on Saturday) ended up being adjusted down with actuals on Monday. If I remember right, TDK's Sunday actual jumped around $4m from the Sunday morning estimate after it sold out a ton of late night shows that WB wasn't expecting.

And THG didn't even need the crutch of 3D inflation and the biggest star in the world to do it! :lol: :lol:

How about Inception owned in one day? And THG didnt even have the biggest star, right?

This is totally pointless LOL