DeeCee

Jack Ryan | Amazon Prime | John Krasinski as Jack Ryan | 2nd Season Out Now

John Krasinski is Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan in a new updated series loosely based on the novels.  The first season was pretty good but I'm not liking the 2nd season so far.  It's not really Jack Ryan anymore.

Watched this (the first season...) at the weekend, finished it last night, and was really hooked! Really like how they spent so much time and attention for the terrorist family. That was the most engaging part, the episode (ep 5?) where wife and kids escape was so gripping and I really didn't know whether they'd succeed or not since they're not main character they dont have to live.

Strangely there is very little to Jack Ryan himself, which is quite odd. He's rather uninteresting and doesn't seem to have any characteristics or complexes / issues other than being nice to everyone. John Krasinski is fine, not great, something just feels a bit off about him, I'm not sure why. Like he doesn't suit the kind of character he is playing. 

I will definitely check out the Harrison Ford movies now.

Season 2 was a noticeable step down from the first. I think one of the biggest problems was the setting. It didn't feel like real world Venezuela (not that I'd know), and there was way too much of it where Jack was just kind of there.

They announced it was renewed for a third season long before the second even aired, so let's hope it'll be a step back towards the first.

On 1/4/2020 at 6:33 AM, DeeCee said:

#where’scathy?

I don't really have an issue with her absence since she and Krasinski have no chemistry. actually Krasinski has no chemistry with anyone in the first season lol. one of the good things about S2 is he feels much more at home in this role and I can actually take him seriously.

finished season 2. Really sucked. The "twist" ending was meaningless.

Overall the plot sucked, the moral complexity of s1 was missing, a lot of the time spent was very boring, the villain was a cartoon character, and overall it lacked the interest of first season.

On 1/4/2020 at 11:39 PM, Ozymandias said:

I actually thought S2 was better.  Maybe its just because I think the Middle East and Islamist terrorism has been done to death.

When I started season 1 I thought "oh this is just another middle-east thing", but the terrorist's back story, his dilemmas with brother and with family, and the whole family drama there, I thought was really gripping. 

Season 2 for me felt much more like "This has been done to death" because of the type of drama it was.