CJohn

Weekend Estimates - THE HUNGER GAMES | 155M

Crazy thing is it's not though. A 2.9x multi is all it will take now, essentially the same as Twilight got. And if its OW is closer to $160m with actuals then it will only need more like a 2.8.

Sorry, I did the math wrong, I got 3.9..... Not so impossible, anymore if it's 2.9.(Just a side note: If the downtown theatre sells out the 10:30pm show then it would've definitely had more business than Saturday, and Saturday had more business than Friday, 3 consecutive days of non-midnight increase). Edited by riczhang

It really is astonishing. 155m+ OW for a first in the series. We're all focused on petty things like the Sunday hold or if it can beat TDK. But the opening... How the hell did that happen?!! I didn't know there was THAT many fans.

A combination of fandom, 4 quad event, and the first big film in months, plus the excellent marketing.

It really is astonishing. 155m+ OW for a first in the series. We're all focused on petty things like the Sunday hold or if it can beat TDK. But the opening... How the hell did that happen?!! I didn't know there was THAT many fans.

There weren't THAT many fans, not until this weekend at least...

Sub 20% sunday drop? That would just ice this epic BO cake we are all eating.

I'm convinced it's happening, give it an 85% chance of doing that, I personally think it's gonna end up around 15% though.... Edited by riczhang

The one thing I'm wondering is if there will be room for growth in this franchise. Or will this be like HP1, Spider-Man, and The Phantom Menace and be the highest grossing of the series. When a first film does this type of numbers it just begs the question if this is as good as it's gonna get. Or can it even do better? :o

• Like 1

The one thing I'm wondering is if there will be room for growth in this franchise. Or will this be like HP1, Spider-Man, and The Phantom Menace and be the highest grossing of the series. When a first film does this type of numbers it just begs the question if this is as good as it's gonna get. Or can it even do better? :o

We have a whole year and a half to discuss this in the CF thread. Should be fun. :lol:

HP1's reception amongst casual audience was "meh," heck it showed in its rather "normal" legs for that era (especially considering Christmas holidays).SM2 opened in a market that had just been completely exhausted by Shrek 2 (highest attended film in the 2000s decade) and Prisoner of Azkaban. I figured it would've increased had it been the first release of the three, if not stayed flat from SM1.Phantom Menace....let's just not get into that. Edited by spizzer

All depends on how big this one ends up with the total. The weekend can always get bigger. More frontloading is a natural trend in the movie business, especially with sequels. It will be interesting to see how good the legs are on this one. If it hits $450m, I would think the sequels will have a hard time beating it outside of opening weekend.