TMP

Joker: Folie a Deux | October 4, 2024 | Lady Gaga is Harley Quinn in this 200M+ musical sequel

5 minutes ago, ZeroHour said:

Actually I'd guess that a lot of nerds did not in fact watch La La Land. Plus La La Land grossed less than half of what the first Joker did. A La La Land performance here would not be good for this movie.

It almost won Best Picture, I can assume they didn't mind watching it at least on vod.

40 minutes ago, Mulder said:

I think the genre as a whole is dying out and one film that very much relied on bringing back past actors isn't imo a sign that the genre's fine.

You have a good point. Venom: The Last Dance will be another test for the genre.

A bunch of people on Reddit are making excuses for these terrible presales. Somebody is comparing it to GOTG 3. . like what?!? Do they not realize presales are less than 3/10ths of GOTG 3?

These same people were making these excuses for The Flash like:

"Lol, presales started a day ago! Give it time"

Edited by HummingLemon496

12 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

A bunch of people on Reddit are making excuses for these terrible presales. Somebody is comparing it to GOTG 3. . like what?!? Do they not realize presales are less than 3/10ths of GOTG 3?

I'm waiting for "Gaga walkups!"

Moderation

@HummingLemon496 that is enough of this constant “Joker is gonna bomb, it’s gonna have awful legs, it’s a huge failure, lol at the fanboys pretending it’s doing okay” rhetoric. I understand presales are poor, but repeating these mantras over and over and over and over again adds nothing to the conversation, and frankly is starting to border on concern trolling. Either add something new to the conversation, or leave the thread. Because if you continue this, you will see a thread ban.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Whats more worrysome was that early Vol. 3 presales weren't t steller either with some worried could miss the 100M OW. Once WoM kicked in things improved lot. For Joker 2 to really do way worse than early Vol. 3 sales really could mean The Flash 2.0

2 hours ago, dudalb said:

I think Lady Gaga will be like Madonna...although a few sucesses, she never will become a huge A list movie star.

But what happens with Joker 2 will have no impact on her  musical career andymore then the Cats debacle hurt Taylor Swift.

Gaga’s short film career already has more accolades than Madonna’s despite it consisting of just two major movie roles before JFAD. I understand the presales look shite for this new movie, but reviews suggests Gaga is not only a high point but underused leading to some of the mixed responses and a slow uptake by her fanbase by the looks of online chatter. Comparatively, Madonna is literally crowned the “Worst Actress of the Century.” It’s a little premature to stick Gaga in the same boat. 

___

I’ve been keeping an eye on the two main IMAX screens for London and while both seem like they’ll be sellouts for opening day (no previews for the UK) they’re certainly behind major movies I’ve seen recently on premium format…

Edited by Rusty
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, TomThomas said:

It's CBM in name only, even more so than Part 1. I'm pretty sure plenty of nerds saw La La Land, but suddenly musical is a big issue for them, even though part 1 already had those elements. I don't get it, it's same people who cheered Joker dancing on stairs.

It's CBM in name only but it has one of the biggest comic book character in history? That's like saying GOTG in 2014 wasn't a CBM because it didn't fit the typical prototype of CBM

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

It's CBM in name only but it has one of the biggest comic book character in history? That's like saying GOTG in 2014 wasn't a CBM because it didn't fit the typical prototype of CBM

GOTG is a lot closer to CBM than this, it has traditional good and bad guys, universal stakes etc, even first Joker was closer to CBM since it features a lead character becoming an alter ego, origin story of both villian and hero, and direct references to comic book stuff. I read spoilers and this one is nothing like those and also a giant f*** u to nerds. That's why I'm saying it's CBM in name only, it literally features only a couple of names, but it's completely detached from comic books and even those characters are completely different.

3 hours ago, dudalb said:

I think Lady Gaga will be like Madonna...although a few sucesses, she never will become a huge A list movie star.

But what happens with Joker 2 will have no impact on her  musical career andymore then the Cats debacle hurt Taylor Swift.

Madonna other than being the person with most Razzie nominations ever, she has never been nominated at SAG, BAFTA and Oscar, Lady Gaga will always remains a best actress Oscar nominee, NYFCC and NBR best actress winner, no matter the box office performance of this movie, if anything she has been praised for this performance despite not having the right space in the movie as reviews pointed out. 

Sigh. No Joker 2 bombing doesn't mean the CBM genre is dying. Its back to its 2008-16 phase in which the pitch and if its looks and is appealing are key to it doing well. Joker 2 seems to be alienating both target demographics with reviews being the lynchpin to the collapse. Batman 2 and Superman should probably be fine, did The Marvels collapsing doom Deadpool? If the genre was totally dead, Deadpool couldn't make those numbers even with nostalgia bait. Across would be unable to match, let alone double its predecessor. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, YM! said:

Sigh. No Joker 2 bombing doesn't mean the CBM genre is dying. Its back to its 2008-16 phase in which the pitch and if its looks and is appealing are key to it doing well. Joker 2 seems to be alienating both target demographics with reviews being the lynchpin to the collapse. Batman 2 and Superman should probably be fine, did The Marvels collapsing doom Deadpool? If the genre was totally dead, Deadpool couldn't make those numbers even with nostalgia bait. Across would be unable to match, let alone double its predecessor. 

What's your prediction for Joker 2 OW/DOM/WW?

6 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

What's your prediction for Joker 2 OW/DOM/WW?

I don't know at this point. Maybe 50-60m OW based on presales so far but I can't put a number on DOM or WW. For all we know it could have rave WOM stateside.

7 minutes ago, YM! said:

I think you are underestimating the power of nostalgia bait. All it needed was a big opening and nostalgia bait gave it that. The rest came from good WoM. Across the Spider-verse is a family film so I’m guessing it got more kids than your average superhero film. I still think the average superhero watcher (the person who would be showing up to most of these from 2008-2019) doesn’t care about them anymore. Don’t think there’s gonna be a single superhero success next year. The only one that I could see getting through is Fantastic 4 but that’s because I see some novelty there (+ RDJ Doom)

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, YM! said:

It's not just Joker 2, it's general trends starting from like 2022 onwards. DC has only had one box office success in the past three years, Marvel has had multiple failures pre-Deadpool & Wolverine. It's not that everything's guaranteed to die, it's just clear that the market is rapidly shrinking and it's not what it was in the 2010s.

• Like 3