TMP

Joker: Folie a Deux | October 4, 2024 | Lady Gaga is Harley Quinn in this 200M+ musical sequel

1 hour ago, excel1 said:

What TB2 and Superman have going for them, UNLIKE Joker, is their directors are widely respected and have built in audiences at this point, which is where the money really seems to be these days. 

Gunn maybe, but it didn't save The Suicide Squad. Reeves I don't think so, he's not Nolan or Villeneuve, he doesn't have a large following as a director.

Edited by Firepower

37 minutes ago, Mad Max007 said:

I think despite all the love the first film gets on the internet, the GA sees it as an average film.

More like the opposite. The internet hates the first one with passion, but GA really liked it by any objective measure available, a movie seen by GA as average wouldn't have had legs it had, especially overseas. Or you mean The Batman?

Edited by Firepower

19 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Per HBO, the spinoff series starring Colin Farrell and Cristin Milioti opened to 5.3 million U.S. viewers across all platforms since its debut on Sept. 19. That puts it above the final season premiere of “Succession,” which drew 4.9 million viewers, and the second season premiere of “The White Lotus,” which drew 4.1 million. It also falls just behind the premiere of “True Detective: Night Country,” which nabbed 5.7 million viewers.

Additionally, the show has landed the biggest 4-day audience for a new series on Max in every region globally since “The Last of Us” in Jan. 2023.

It's still way below top HBO shows and even below hated season of True Detective, show where only first season was truly liked. Succession is critics darling, but not hugely popular in terms of viewership.

I really don't think The Batman - Part II opening about 4.5 years after the first one will be that much of a problem. 

This isn't an exact comparison, but The Dark Knight Rises came out four years after The Dark Knight and opened just above that film ($160.8M to $158.4M). Word-of-mouth on Rises may not have been as strong as it was for The Dark Knight (not to mention the impact of the Aurora mass shooting), but it still was able to make over $1B worldwide. 

With how much acclaim and praise that The Batman got in 2022, I think The Batman - Part II should be fine financially. I'm not expecting a Batman Begins-to-The Dark Knight level increase, but I think it should do about the same numbers as the first film. Maybe a little more or a little less, but anywhere between $750M-$800M worldwide.

Also, compared to Joker 2, I have seen a lot of people (especially after The Batman came out) say that they couldn't wait to see more from this universe that Matt Reeves created. That alone gives The Batman - Part II a much bigger advantage than Joker 2 which is a much more expensive sequel and is one that not everybody who saw the first film wanted to see.

Edited by Ryan C
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Firepower said:

It's still way below top HBO shows and even below hated season of True Detective, show where only first season was truly liked. Succession is critics darling, but not hugely popular in terms of viewership.

Additionally, the show has landed the biggest 4-day audience for a new series on Max in every region globally since “The Last of Us” in Jan. 2023.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Additionally, the show has landed the biggest 4-day audience for a new series on Max in every region globally since “The Last of Us” in Jan. 2023.

Thank you for saying this. I was baffled seeing people say its views were bad in this thread. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, John Marston said:

those numbers show that you don't need that many views to be considered a success on HBO. Wow

Most Netflix succesful shows at the top of their charts have 12-15M global viewers in a week. 

Not that far from The Penguin. It would be considered a success in every streaming platform, so..

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheFlatLannister said:

China has never been big about Batman and I don't see that changing now with how recent Hollywood films have performed there. DOM could increase, but I doubt it would be much more than an extra $50M

That is very true but when a release gets hit with something like that it makes it so there's room for growth even if it's as small as 5 mill or something. I'm not looking at pre COVID China and trying to say it'll make more than that, so it's more fair to say the performance might do more than a 2022 film that was facing theater closures in some of the biggest provinces in the country. It also might easily do much less and there's even less interest when it comes out because it's Batman so more theaters being open doesn't counter the natural drop. But we'll get there when we get there. 2 more years...

Also I need to publicly say that me of a few days ago was stupid and dumb and I watched the Penguin first episode and I think it's incredible. So now having mixed feelings on it taking up some of Reeves time, obviously it was worth it quality wise for the show but a whole year delayon the second film is still crazy.

Even if it was trash and got 500k viewers I still don't think it was going to have anything to do with Joker 2 and it's performance or Superman and it's performance and I maintain that. 

Re Ten year hiatus for DC movies.

That is easy for you and me to say. If you are a exec at Warners, putting one of your most valuable assets in cold storage for a decade is a very, very, hard thing to do.

1 hour ago, ZeroHour said:

What notable new series did they launch in that time frame?

Off the top of my head The Idol and Gotham Knights. I'm sure there were tons of shows that made no noise at all or docu series and stuff but those are the two that immediately spring to mind.

4 hours ago, Mad Max007 said:

I think despite all the love the first film gets on the internet, the GA sees it as an average film.

It does very much feel like an average film no doubt.