Ezen Baklattan

2019 Critics/Guild Awards Thread

40 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

don't think NBR changes much for the best picture line up. Joker will pick up momentum and buzz in the globes (like BR last year).

though I'm more inclined to add Ford v Ferrari. 

I never expect Joker to do well in critics groups. the industry recognition on Joker is much more evident, if Joker got left out by Globe, then i will say it is in danger. 

Though perhaps not that meaningful as far as Oscar prognostication goes, it is nevertheless a nice one-two punch for Netflix to have Marriage Story win Best Picture at the Gotham Awards and then The Irishman win Best Picture at NBR, starting off the awards season.

I haven't yet watched Marriage Story, but I loved The Irishman. It felt meaningful and packs a quiet punch by the end. 

Peace,

Mike

3 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

Though perhaps not that meaningful as far as Oscar prognostication goes, it is nevertheless a nice one-two punch for Netflix to have Marriage Story win Best Picture at the Gotham Awards and then The Irishman win Best Picture at NBR, starting off the awards season.

I haven't yet watched Marriage Story, but I loved The Irishman. It felt meaningful and packs a quiet punch by the end. 

Peace,

Mike

if Parasite doesn't surprise and only gets noms instead of wins outside of international category. then Netflix will probably win picture/director/both screenplays and probably 1 or 2 of the acting prizes. 

6 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Bong Joon-ho didn't talk crap about Marvel so RealLyre isn't gonna start betting against his movies like he does with Scorsese movies.

That's not the only reason I don't like Scorsese, though I only have prejudice against films I haven't seen. and I've seen everything from Bong (his korean language stuff anyway)

8 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

How do you know what is the right choice tho?

I don’t.  but I’d like Parasite to get more recognition, and if it keeps flopping at critics groups. I doubt it will get anything outside of foreign category in the televised awards.

also awarding Scorsese again is a boring choice imo.

Edited by RealLyre
Word

9 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Little Women needs to get something soon and boost momentum. Otherwise not too stunned by awards season so far - super early obviously.

I don't worry about LW, it got all the oscar-friendly elements, such as period settings , story about artist and MERYL STREEP