SLAM!

Devotion | November 23, 2022 | Sony Pictures | Glen Powell and Jonathan Majors play Korean War fighter pilots

https://deadline.com/2019/12/jonathan-majors-devotion-movie-korean-war-pilot-glen-powell-1202801683/

A war epic with two hot ticket actors and a beating heart. I'm sold.

Set in an era fraught with racial disparity, Jesse Brown (Jonathan Majors) became the first black man in U.S. Naval history to become a fighter pilot, while Tom Hudner (Glen Powell) decided to forgo Harvard to join the Navy. Despite their differences, an unbreakable bond was forged, and their heroic sacrifices would ultimately make them the Navy’s most celebrated wingmen.

Edited by SLAM!

I think October 28th is a pretty decent date for this to go wide; it's the only war film from the point of its release onward, so if it's \good, I'm sure it'll appeal to older audiences through November.

Edited by SLAM!

Reviews are slowly trickling in but Hollywood Reporter is also a pan and Twitter reactions don't seem overly enthusiastic either. They probably should've just waited until it came out to screen it (apparently it's going to be an IMAX release) and not done a festival bow tbh.

2 hours ago, Pinacolada said:

Given Top Gun Maverick and Glen Powell, the marketing for this movie should be easy

But for some reason I'm feelin this is DOA right now. Hope I'm wrong but I think Sony is blowing it thus far

I've actually seen a number of ads for this on TV over the past week or so (in particular during sports), but they're selling it less as Top Gun: Maverick 2.0 and more as a historical war drama (understandably so since that's what it really is according to people that saw it at TIFF and I doubt they want to attempt roping in audiences by selling it as something it's not).

I saw this; it’s solid with some good performances. Glen Powell should be pissed it’s coming out after top Gun maverick; he’d be a sturdy supporting actor nom for otherwise (he’s a colead in the movie but cmon, he’d be campaigned in supporting lol)

• Like 1

On 11/1/2022 at 7:31 PM, Pinacolada said:

Given Top Gun Maverick and Glen Powell, the marketing for this movie should be easy

But for some reason I'm feelin this is DOA right now. Hope I'm wrong but I think Sony is blowing it thus far

That's probably kinda the problem - it looks like Top Gun 2, but without Tom Cruise...

Since Tom Cruise kinda made Top Gun 2, that's a big letdown...