Eric Deetz

A Complete Unknown | Christmas Day 2024 | James Mangold directs | TIMOTHEE CHALAMET IS BOB DYLAN | Cinema has been saved!!!!

2 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

Too be fair it's far easier to try and sing like Dylan than it is Freddie Mercury.

So are they going to end the biopic with all the folkies booing Dylan. If so, interesting.

I love Dylan the SOngwriter but, let's face it, he does not have a great singing voice. He probably could not have made it as a singer outside of folk music, which sort of is loose as far as what consittutes singing ability.

Nobel Laureate

2 hours ago, dudalb said:

I love Dylan the SOngwriter but, let's face it, he does not have a great singing voice. He probably could not have made it as a singer outside of folk music, which sort of is loose as far as what consittutes singing ability.

Well, there was country.

Seriously, I don't think Dylan thinks of himself as a singer, he's always been primarily a writer - it's why he's a Nobel Laureate.   But scraggly voice or not he knows what to do with his own songs as a performer (when he wanted to).

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Looks like the best thing Mangold and Papamichael have shot together. Even more impressed by how shit Indy 5 looked

Mangold was always obviously the completely wrong director for Indy unless they were turning it into film noir Indy.

Mangold actually didn't say anything about Marvel though many fans believed he was against D&W intentionally.

What he said is that his new movie wouldn't be a cinematic universe thing when Rolling Stone asked a question. If there is any wrong with the interview, it's the timing Disney marketing team chose. The article was released with the teaser right before Disney's new movie D&W.

Someone spotted Timothée holding a letter from Johnny Cash on set, and it sparked a lot of speculation. Just to be clear, is there a Johnny Cash character in this movie? 

Oh yes, there is.

Who plays him?

Boyd Holbrook.

I think people were somehow hoping this would become a cinematic-universe, multiverse return–of-Joaquin Phoenix situation.

I don’t do multiverses. But beyond that Johnny Cash was like, 30.

Exactly. 
I love Joaquin, but he’s not 30, or whatever Johnny was at this moment. They’re both young people in that moment in life. It’s weird that I’ve even worked in the world of IP entertainment because I don’t like multi-movie universe-building. I think it’s the enemy of storytelling. The death of storytelling. It’s more interesting to people the way the Legos connect than the way the story works in front of us.

For me, the goal becomes, always, “What is unique about this film, and these characters?” Not making you think about some other movie or some Easter egg or something else, which is all an intellectual act, not an emotional act. You want the movie to work on an emotional level.

3 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

Mangold actually didn't say anything about Marvel though many fans believed he was against D&W intentionally.

What he said is that his new movie wouldn't be a cinematic universe thing when Rolling Stone asked a question. If there is any wrong with the interview, it's the timing Disney marketing team chose. The article was released with the teaser right before Disney's new movie D&W.

No one had said anything about marvel or Deadpool in this thread so I don't know who you're trying to argue with.

6 minutes ago, AniNate said:

No one had said anything about marvel or Deadpool in this thread so I don't know who you're trying to argue with.

I didn't try to argue with anyone. The comments around those headlines believed Mangold has problem with the movie. 

I can fix or delete the previous post if I cause any unnecessary confusion.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

Nobel Laureate

Well, there was country.

Seriously, I don't think Dylan thinks of himself as a singer, he's always been primarily a writer - it's why he's a Nobel Laureate.   But scraggly voice or not he knows what to do with his own songs as a performer (when he wanted to).

I think Dylan was well aware of his limitations as a singer.

What is interesting is that people covering DYlan songs had more hits with them then Dylan did himself.

Edited by dudalb

2 hours ago, dudalb said:

I think Dylan was well aware of his limitations as a singer.

What is interesting is that people covering DYlan songs had more hits with them then Dylan did himself.

Like the great Warren Zevon.  When are they making his biopic?

Edited by TalismanRing

On 7/24/2024 at 12:18 PM, Cmasterclay said:

Eh. That was a cradle to the crave biopic, this is just about one segment of Dylan's life (I think it ends with him going electric). Mangold has said it's a period movie about America wrapped in a musical biopic. I'm not saying I think it'll be very good. I have major doubts. I'm just saying.

Also, Timothee sings all of his own songs! Rami didn't sing a note.

These are the two reasons why I'm intrigued by this movie. The approach seems different than your typical music biopic.

On 7/24/2024 at 7:16 PM, lorddemaxus said:

Looks like the best thing Mangold and Papamichael have shot together. Even more impressed by how shit Indy 5 looked

From what I know about Indy 5's production, Mangold had a point where he was like "let's just get this finished" and sort of lost his passion for it because of how messy things became. Not that he stopped caring necessarily, more exhausted. That's probably why the energy for it felt off compared to the trailers for this.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

These are the two reasons why I'm intrigued by this movie. The approach seems different than your typical music biopic.

From what I know about Indy 5's production, Mangold had a point where he was like "let's just get this finished" and sort of lost his passion for it because of how messy things became. Not that he stopped caring necessarily, more exhausted. That's probably why the energy for it felt off compared to the trailers for this.

The main thing intriguing me is that Jay Cocks wrote it - one of the foremost historians of that era, and someone who knows everything there is to say about that place is our culture. Mangold is milquetoast but fine.

• Like 1

I guess comparasions with "Walk the Line" will be inevitable.

I was right about one thng. I knew "A Hard Rain Is Gonna Fall" was a must have for a Dylan biography.

I don't get the love for Rocketman which I felt was just a OK movie. Iliked "Elvis" a lot better.