Eric S'ennui

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

https://www.fool.com/earnings/call-transcripts/2023/07/26/imax-imax-q2-2023-earnings-call-transcript/

On an IMAX earnings call, the CEO says that Marvels is not currently set for an IMAX release since Dune had already taken up those screens for that release period. In the case Dune does move though, Marvels can get those screens.

“Dune, specifically, I mean, there's another great movie coming out around in time, which is The Marvels from Marvel, and we can't play it because we are committed to Dune. So, Dune moves will just go over to the marvels, and having a Marvel movie as a backup is not the worst position to be in the world. But in terms of Dune, my own opinion is that it's highly unlikely to move, and it's an educated opinion, meaning I spent a lot of time on the facts.” 

• Like 4
  • ...wtf 1

1 hour ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

https://www.fool.com/earnings/call-transcripts/2023/07/26/imax-imax-q2-2023-earnings-call-transcript/

On an IMAX earnings call, the CEO says that Marvels is not currently set for an IMAX release since Dune had already taken up those screens for that release period. In the case Dune does move though, Marvels can get those screens.

“Dune, specifically, I mean, there's another great movie coming out around in time, which is The Marvels from Marvel, and we can't play it because we are committed to Dune. So, Dune moves will just go over to the marvels, and having a Marvel movie as a backup is not the worst position to be in the world. But in terms of Dune, my own opinion is that it's highly unlikely to move, and it's an educated opinion, meaning I spent a lot of time on the facts.” 

Just give them to Killers if Dune moves.

• Haha 1

Wow, what a shit day for Marvel between the reception to Secret Invasion's finale and now their next tentpole not getting the best PLF screens. They seriously need to move this away from November in some way or it might be hurt pretty badly financially. Pushing it off to Deadpool 3's current May slot doesn't seem like a bad idea anymore. They also might as well move the remaining Disney+ series out of 2023 too, to make sure the stench of Secret Invasion doesn't hurt them.

4 hours ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

A major MCU film releasing without IMAX...has that ever happened?

6 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Wow, what a shit day for Marvel between the reception to Secret Invasion's finale and now their next tentpole not getting the best PLF screens. They seriously need to move this away from November in some way or it might be hurt pretty badly financially. Pushing it off to Deadpool 3's current May slot doesn't seem like a bad idea anymore. They also might as well move the remaining Disney+ series out of 2023 too, to make sure the stench of Secret Invasion doesn't hurt them.

Did people dislike the finale? I thought it was good but I am no parameter as I’m pretty easy to please.

But your post poses an interesting question: Does the reception to these D+ shows affect the BO of MCU movies at all? Are they even big enough for that? And if so, what show would affect what movie? 

Nick Fury is a main character in this one and he was the main character in Secret Invasion, in theory they are directly connected, but do people care? Would anyone decide whether to watch the movie based on the show?  Has that ever demonstrably happen before? Maybe WandaVision was big enough to have an effect?

11 hours ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

Well, now I know for sure that one of them are moving. Either The Marvels or Dune 2.

6 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

They also might as well move the remaining Disney+ series out of 2023 too, to make sure the stench of Secret Invasion doesn't hurt them.

To be clear, the argument has now changed from "nobody watches secret Invasion, it'll tank the movies" to "everyone saw secret Invasion, it'll tank the movies and shows"?

Edited by SpiderByte

On 7/25/2023 at 12:18 PM, JustLurking said:

She hulk vfx ranges from acceptable to plain bad, the fact that it's long and she has to appear often is an explanation of why it is such but it doesn't make the quality of the effects any better.

Avatar2 is on such a different league visually that I don't even know why it gets brought up here, the time and care put into that film is not something an MCU film can reach regardless since no MCU film will get that level of post-production and no director the MCU can hire will know as much about CGI and how to film around it as Cameron anyway.

If we're at the "Why aren't the Disney+ shows as expensive as Avatar?" arguments you people are absolutely not being serious.

Edited by SpiderByte

Not shocked The Marvels isn't getting IMAX due to Dune being their first and it being actually filmed in IMAX giving it priority and I believe we knew this months ago. However, think there's still enough PLFs and larger screens, The Marvels can get where it's not a doomsday OW (think it'll be like Barbieheimer but with a larger PLF control for Marvels in exchange for no IMAX). If The Marvels misses 100m OW, it'd be due to lack of hype and/or bad WOM not because of no IMAX. Not too worry about it right now.

Edited by YM!
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, YM! said:

Not shocked The Marvels isn't getting IMAX due to Dune being their first and it being actually filmed in IMAX giving it priority and I believe we knew this months ago. However, think there's still enough PLFs and larger screens, The Marvels can get where it's not a doomsday OW (think it'll be like Barbieheimer but with a larger PLF control for Marvels in exchange for no IMAX) The Marvels misses 100m OW, it'd be due to lack of hype and/or bad WOM not because of no IMAX.

People are assuming it'd get washed out like MI7 was...when it's absolutely not the same circumstances at all

Just now, Deep Wang said:

I guess I'm confused because we just had a movie open very well without IMAX?  Obviously this isn't going to do as well as Barbie, but I don't get the sky is falling attitude.

Exactly, IMAX doesn't make or break releases. And it's not like the first one was disproportionately big on IMAX.

As for the Sky Is Falling attitude, that's been the case since February.

4 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

People are assuming it'd get washed out like MI7 was...when it's absolutely not the same circumstances at all

If Disney can bully their way to PLF control minus IMAX for Haunted Mansion in the middle of Barbenheimer, and did the same for NWH with Matrix, I'm not too worried right now. Especially when Barbie did 150m with little PLFs.

The main concerns right now is if Secret Invasion and the other plus shows will have any effect, reception, and if Disney can maintain a strong marketing campaign. If it weathers them, it'll be fine.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, YM! said:

Not shocked The Marvels isn't getting IMAX due to Dune being their first and it being actually filmed in IMAX giving it priority and I believe we knew this months ago. However, think there's still enough PLFs and larger screens, The Marvels can get where it's not a doomsday OW (think it'll be like Barbieheimer but with a larger PLF control for Marvels in exchange for no IMAX). If The Marvels misses 100m OW, it'd be due to lack of hype and/or bad WOM not because of no IMAX. Not too worry about it right now.

While I agree, here’s what I think it gets interesting:

The Marvels marketing deals seems like are proceeding like the film was going to get released this weekend. McDonalds toys and Hasbro Marvel Legends action figures are already out in the wild. So my question is, what Marvel Studios has to lose moving out of this year, especially if the strikes keep going for longer than we are anticipating and no Marvel Studios is ready for the next year’s May’s MCU date?

I still think it’s odd how the March 8th, 2024 date wasn’t the date they went ahead with The Marvels all along to begin with.