Eric Prime

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

10 hours ago, Welcbr12 said:

Marvel Studios announced today on Weibo that the film "The Marvels (Captain Marvel 2)" will be released in China on November 10th, simultaneously with its North American release

20230928-004825.jpg

I really like this poster. Anyways, someone on Reddit said the Captain Marvel promo has 15x more views on Chinese site than GOTG3. It would be hilarious if The Marvels went on to be the highest grossing post-covid MCU film in China 

Edited by TheFlatLannister
  • Like 3
  • Astonished 1

13 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

I really like this poster. Anyways, someone on Reddit said the Captain Marvel promo has 15x more views on Chinese site than GOTG3. It would be hilarious if The Marvels went on to be the highest grossing post-covid MCU film in China 

The Marvels coming for $1.3 billion in China, doubling Endgame's gross there. You love to see it.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Valencia said:

The Flash did $25M there.

Ant-Man 3 did $40M.

It will easily clear that even if it’s horrible.

Probably more than $40M but less than GOTG3.

Captain Marvel and AM2 made around the same numbers in China. I could see it missing $40m. Hollywood films are collapsing by the day, as local films take over in China. Particularly since there is no Endgame boost this time around.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Don't trust china after all 9.5+ moayan Hollywood  movies barely making a dent at Chinese box office . 

China is just giving up on Hollywood and china -US political relationship being on  shaky grounds is not helping things either.

30-80m .

8 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Captain Marvel and AM2 made around the same numbers in China. I could see it missing $40m. Hollywood films are collapsing by the day, as local films take over in China. Particularly since there is no Endgame boost this time around.

Ant Man 2 did $121M.

Captain Marvel did $154M.

Even with a whopping 80% Post COVID China Hollywood drop it still would not miss even $30M.

2 hours ago, Valonqar said:

So? The usual suspects tried to take out Barbie on the grounds of being anti-men (it's not) and the movie succeeded cause it was great, appealed to its intended audience and at the end of the day it wasn't what some accused it of being. OTOH, Ms Marvel bombed not because of the character's religion but because Marvel fandom skews heavily male and one show with a teen girl that is more interested in revising foreign history for American liberals than actually addressing teen interests was not going to attact that demo. Especially since the said demo has far better teen-oriented shows to choose from (Wednesday, Heartstopper, Summer I Turned Pretty, Never Have I Ever, Riverdale, Outer Banks, Sex Education, Cobra kai, etc). 

The notion that mediocre to bad shows and movies should be supported because the usual suspects take issues with diversity does not improve the quality of movies and shows. Quite the contrary it makes film-makers lazy cause they know that critics and social media will go easy on their trash to own the Nazis/cuckservatives/Trumpers etc. And yet, it was foreign audience that rejected The Little Mermaid for example not the followers of the Dear leader unless all other continents follow him. 

Point being, make good movies and have good promos that reflect quality and people will come while "backlash" will be just a minor thing without any influence. After all, backlash didn't work with Joker did it? It doesn't matter who tries to take a movie out. If the movie has the goods, audience will come. if not, they won't and no one should shed any tears.

You chat a lot of nonsense and you are a hypocrite. I literally read a post from you a few pages back dismissing Black Panther for which audience certainly came (800m+ domestic with inflation, A+ Cinemascore) for Aquaman.

Edited by Reed121
  • Like 1
  • Knock It Off 3

Really intrigued to see how this and Aquaman do, both their predecessors massively overperformed to the sound of $1.1 billie, but it was such a different environment. Breakouts do still happen. If anything else, the shift in the Chinese market's attitude towards Hollywood blockbusters is gonna make a notable difference itself. Aquaman did $300 million there alone. But I think that one can be more easily separated from the state of its (found dead in miami) franchise and brand, whereas with The Marvels, its performance may be telling on what the current state of the franchise and brand are.

8 minutes ago, toutvabien said:

Really intrigued to see how this and Aquaman do, both their predecessors massively overperformed to the sound of $1.1 billie, but it was such a different environment. Breakouts do still happen. If anything else, the shift in the Chinese market's attitude towards Hollywood blockbusters is gonna make a notable difference itself. Aquaman did $300 million there alone. But I think that one can be more easily separated from the state of its (found dead in miami) franchise and brand, whereas with The Marvels, its performance may be telling on what the current state of the franchise and brand are.

Personally I think this and Deadpool 3 will be fine. They’re preexisting characters whose previous entries had good reception, even if they can’t hit the same highs as their predecessors. Don’t think they will flop though.

That current stretch they have planned of Cap 4, Thunderbolts, and Blade is what will kill the brand.

Edited by Valencia

5 minutes ago, Valencia said:

Personally I think this and Deadpool 3 will be fine. They’re preexisting characters whose previous entries had good reception, even if they can’t hit the same highs as their predecessors. Don’t think they will flop though.

That current stretch they have planned of Cap 4, Thunderbolts, and Blade is what will kill the brand.

I'd argue DP has room to grow even and he also never relied heavily or at all on China and Russia to make cash. This new movie has a much bigger hook than the past two.

Blade does feel like the MCU'S Flash at this point, that thing has been struggling to be put together for five years now. As for the other two, I'm actually looking forward to them more than I do DP3 and they do have the element of crossing over characters from different corners of the MCU together, which feels like it doesn't happen as much as it should nowadays. Let's see if the Bucky stans will turn up for Thunderbolts lol.

• Like 1

I think this will have a similar reception to Black Widow so A- Cinemascore and low to mid 70s Rotten Tomatoes. I don’t think that’s enough for a 100m opening weekend with the state the MCU is currently in. I guess 85-90m with 2.4-2.5 multiplier that’s a low 200’s domestic total. Overseas around 350m which means it misses 600m worldwide.

I think it needs A Cinemascore and genuinely good word of mouth to approach 700m 

Edited by Reed121

1 hour ago, Valencia said:

Ant Man 2 did $121M.

Captain Marvel did $154M.

Even with a whopping 80% Post COVID China Hollywood drop it still would not miss even $30M.

MI7 dropped 75%. An 80% drop is definitely possible particularly since there is no Endgame boost this time, and is highly likely if WOM is less than great. Some local blockbuster hit will eat it alive.

20 minutes ago, Reed121 said:

I think this will have a similar reception to Black Widow so A- Cinemascore and low to mid 70s Rotten Tomatoes. I don’t think that’s enough for a 100m opening weekend with the state the MCU is currently in. I guess 85-90m with 2.4-2.5 multiplier that’s a low 200’s domestic total. Overseas around 350m which means it misses 600m worldwide.

I think it needs A Cinemascore and genuinely good word of mouth to approach 700m 

I'm convinced that nobody here actually tracks box office and just goes off *vibes*.

The state the MCU is currently in? 6 films in a row have opened to $105+ mil. Freaking Black Widow opened over $80 mil in the middle of a pandemic and with no actual superheroes. The Marvels is following up 1 of only 7 MCU films that had a 3.0+ multiplier, the following film after each of those previous films all exploded on OW. And people are predicting this to go the OTHER way? lmao just not serious people

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, ChipDerby said:

I'm convinced that nobody here actually tracks box office and just goes off *vibes*.

The state the MCU is currently in? 6 films in a row have opened to $105+ mil. Freaking Black Widow opened over $80 mil in the middle of a pandemic and with no actual superheroes. The Marvels is following up 1 of only 7 MCU films that had a 3.0+ multiplier, the following film after each of those previous films all exploded on OW. And people are predicting this to go the OTHER way? lmao just not serious people

Considering presales have not started yet, "vibes" are the only thing someone can base their performance off.

8 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

Do you think if Guardians of the Galaxy 3 had received a B+ Cinemascore or even a A- Cinemascore it would have opened over 100m? I don’t.