Eric Burnett

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

35 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

It may be worth considering there may be an issue with Disney's marketing company wide. A lot of OWs going underneath expectations, not just Marvel. Elemental hoofed it out with incredible legs but it opened pretty weak.

Marketing isn’t the problem, it’s quality and budget control. Plus the fallout of their streaming first model. 

The four troublemakers are: Eternals, Multiverse of Madness, Love and Thunder, and Quantumania. Eternals wasn't well received but it was kind of just a "whatever" and was swept up in No Way Home mania anyway. Multiverse of Madness made the trend concerning, Love and Thunder made it completely obvious, and then Quantumania completely finished it off.

18 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Let's calm down. Dune 2 was not doing $100M+ in its OW

I don't even think it would have needed $100m+ tbh. Marvels without IMAX and with fewer screens due to Dune would have opened even lower than it is now. Maybe 95m OW/45m 2nd weekend would have been good enough for #1 when factoring in no IMAX.

3 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Both can be true. Quality has dipped, but critics definitely gave the MCU passes for the first few phases with a 100% fresh track record. 

Timing, momentum and placement of a film or film franchise definitely plays a role in critical and fan reception. The quality of their output has killed the momentum, but the lack of momentum actively invites more negative critique/less passing grades. The low points of the past saga aren't all that better than the low points of the current one, but none of them got as dragged.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Johnny Tran said:

A lot of people including myself agreed when it was released that Kang looked like a jobber in that movie.   He needed to accomplish a goal to set things in motion.  That doesn't necessarily mean everyone had to die but it would have been a wild start to his saga.  

And it would have been such an easy way to end a trilogy and say "we're done with Ant Man movies", remove a cast that no one ever loved so starting to narrow the focus on supers (since there are now WAY too many characters in play), and to make Kang seem like a Thanos-level threat.  Instead of the detatched insanity of Thanos, it could have been very personal and visceral violence (which, well, let me say this could have probably been delivered with little acting) - one of those "you're trying to leave me here AGAIN".

Cassie goes back with a note or communicator from Ant Man that finds "X" - probably Falcon - aka new Cap...and that becomes his movie's end scene as two movies play out in the same time frame.

Edited by TwoMisfits

2 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Oh no someone said actors that belong to a minority group aren’t good!

Gerwig would have been better off casting Manny Jacinto and Patti Harrison in these roles

I think those people were cast because they're talented, not just because of their gender/race. Saying they should just be swapped out is again, a bit of a weird vibe imo. 

1 minute ago, SaltyPistola said:

I think those people were cast because they're talented, not just because of their gender/race. Saying they should just be swapped out is again, a bit of a weird vibe imo. 

I think it’s weirder to coddle people just because they’re minorities insisting they’re good instead of focusing on the actual talent they’ve exhibited. I’ve seen Kim’s Convenience god damn it, there’s hours of evidence that Liu can’t act.

Also I am a minority and you should stop pretending like the casting in Barbie wasn’t specifically designed for diversity. If you were gonna have an Asian Ken and a Trans Barbie they should have gone to actors in that demographic that are actually talented. Not just being called talented because they’re minorities.

1 minute ago, ringedmortality said:

I think it’s weirder to coddle people just because they’re minorities insisting they’re good instead of focusing on the actual talent they’ve exhibited. I’ve seen Kim’s Convenience god damn it, there’s hours of evidence that Liu can’t act.

Also I am a minority and you should stop pretending like the casting in Barbie wasn’t specifically designed for diversity. If you were gonna have an Asian Ken and a Trans Barbie they should have gone to actors in that demographic that are actually talented. Not just being called talented because they’re minorities.

Who's calling them talented just because they're minorities? I don't think their performances in Barbie were much different quality-wise to all the other side characters. It just seemed a bit weird to bring Simu Liu's appearance into it and to then bring Nef into the conversation when she wasn't even relevant. It felt a bit targeted. I apologise if this wasn't the case, and I wasn't trying to derailed the conversation so I won't keep talking in circles about it.