Eric Quinn

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

12 minutes ago, nevermore said:

Marvel movies have little to no artistic value. They are passable popcorn entertainment designed to print money. MCU fans always had the box office to defend their slop which made them very giddy. Now it has come back to bite them in the ass.

What?

oh got it. troll post? Bait post?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, nevermore said:

33 movies and all you got is a costume design oscar? This is cinema.

It won more than just that. It also was nominated for Best Picture, remember?

Like seriously people, why are we now just pretending the MCU has only ever been popular at the box office and not with audiences lol

• Knock It Off 2

40 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Tatiana Siegel does all kinds of hit pieces. I would argue she did one just last month, but we probably shouldn’t get into that here. 

Regardless, if what she implied about Nia DaCosta not being involved in post-production is true, then I’m not sure what to make of that. Obviously for most productions, the director just leaving during post would be troubling news, but this is a Marvel production. We all know that the directors seldom have much power over these films anyway.

I suppose that someone like James Gunn is an exception, but DaCosta has already been upfront about how this is Kevin Feige’s film. She’s just a person for hire. Perhaps the fact that she’s been upfront about this before the movie even comes out can be taken as a sign that she’s trying to distance herself from it,  so I guess that could be a point of concern. 

I honestly do not care if that’s the case. I sincerely do not care, I couldn’t give a fuck. If that’s the case, by all means, let’s go with that. With that said, if it’s good, I don’t want people to take away the credit from her. I think it’s incredibly disgusting how can you easily tell that she used this article as source and Variety is selling as new information.

Beyond the fact that the Vanity Fair contextualizes things a lot. She had just moved to London when she was interviewed by Rebeca Ford’s Vanity Fair that it’s basically a promotion piece for The Marvels, with both DaCosta and Feige bantering between those quotes. It turns out that the SAG-AFTRA strike just happened days after the interview, so she obviously wouldn’t be able to work on that, neither it seems that her and Tessa Thompson got a grant to work on that film. From Vanity Profile’s article, it seems like she was actively working on post-production and both mention saying it was a hard part of the process.

All I’m saying is that no one should dare to discredit her if that’s a win for her. I think it’s absolute madness the amount of vitriol that this woman is facing in the internet right now, and from what it looks like to me, it came from this article. I’m pissed at this, fuck The Marvels, but if it’s good, it’s Nia DaCosta’s win as much as it would be if this was a James Gunn’s film or any other white dude working as a director in the MCU.

• Knock It Off 1

That article was the nail in the coffin. I feel like we'd have to harness the power of the multiverse itself to make this movie a hit. How they can learn every wrong lesson from Endgame's success is truely impressive. If Marvel was smart they'd be wiping everything that's not in the can and starting from scratch. I've been very patient with these films but it's clear the people in charge are as out of touch as they come, running the biggest thing in the world like crackheads looking for a quick fix of cash while giving zero fucks about story, art or emotional resonance. Immensely disappointing, and I'm out til the OG6 come back (wtf? That's your solution Marvel?) 

Shut It Down GIF by Matt Cutshall

Edited by SaltyPistola
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Freaking out because you don't like reading bad things about Marvel is very weird.

Def nothing worth freaking out about (These are just kids movies at the end of the day), but it's all just been very revealing about how they choose to run things. I just don't want to give them the benefit of the doubt anymore. I'll be there for their successes (if they have any) but I'm not going to waste energy blindly defending their misses and mediocre slodge. It all is starting to feel so soulless, and there's so much good stuff out there that deserves the attention Marvel gets.

Edited by SaltyPistola
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

I don't really see how people don't understand why the reason there's no press interviews is because there's a strike going on. There's no junkets right now.

Oh, I think they do. Most people that post here know that. Regardless, one week from now I will be watching the film, and before that we will get the impressions and reviews. We will know soon enough.

2 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

No. We cannot have every individual MCU thread devolve into two hundred pages of a referendum on the entire franchise.

why not?

3 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

No. We cannot have every individual MCU thread devolve into two hundred pages of a referendum on the entire franchise.

The ripple effects a bomb of this magnitude will have on the MCU is an interesting conversation to have, there's only so much we can say about a movie with no reviews out so it's natural that conversations will drift into being about the franchise as a whole. Not sure who you are to tell us what we can and can't talk about, leave that to the mods.

Edited by judestar619

4 minutes ago, judestar619 said:

The ripple effects a bomb of this magnitude will have on the MCU is an interesting conversation to have, there's only so much we can say about a movie with no reviews out so it's natural that conversations will drift into being about the franchise as a whole. Not sure who you are to tell us what we can and can't talk about, leave that to the mods.

While it's true that the box office implications of The Marvels will impact the MCU at large, SpiderByte is also correct that every film specific thread does not need to become a general MCU thread. There is discussion amongst the admin team for a dedicated MCU thread but for now, general discussions can take place in the overarching Disney thread.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

The strike does not effect directors and writers.  DaCosta could say something about her movie if she wanted to but she obviously doesn't want to. Maybe it really was taken away from her. That would be sad. 

Marvel scooped up an indie director and made the movie for her. Far from the first time.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, XXR's Eras Tour said:

While it's true that the box office implications of The Marvels will impact the MCU at large, SpiderByte is also correct that every film specific thread does not need to become a general MCU thread. There is discussion amongst the admin team for a dedicated MCU thread but for now, general discussions can take place in the overarching Disney thread.

If I can once again suggest, just bring back the franchise wars thread. I like the idea of Marvel, DC, Star Wars and etc having their own threads, but then there will always be something else. The problem isn’t even really talking about other MCU films, comparing with other films can be healthy. It’s the constant referendum if the MCU is dying day in and day out. DC films faced massive bombs and most people here are enthusiastic for what DCU can do with Gunn as the president of DC Studios.

I’m just saying that if people need to make a referendum on the MCU’s existence, let’s not pretend that started here with The Marvels thread. I have my personal grievances with Aquaman 2 but I don’t even talk about that film, neither I take please if it bombs. When we had rules in place against poison the well derails, I strongly believe threads had a much more healthier pace, regardless if the talk was negative. I mean, I was here during TASM2 and survived the experience, that was a film that it truly made me feel bad when it came out and it was bad.

Let people that want to constantly have a back and forth about how much your favorite franchise suck have their own place to scream into the void, that could be helpful to all the other franchises as well.