The Wild Eric

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

Just now, PlatnumRoyce said:

Not going to open near $40M but man, that's seemingly setting the film up for a hell of a dropoff/poor word of mouth.

Yeah, i think all the connections they’re forcing with Avengers and the “only the beginning” slogan is promising something the movie doesn’t look even interesting in doing. 

This can lead to very bad WOM is somewhat people go watch it expecting a super relevant movie in the grand scheme of MCU.

The final trailer is boiler plate but fine. I don't know man, I hope for the best and I have not disliked any of the trailers but in the end nothing is making me jump up out of my chair. Certainly I find the trailers more appealing than the Ant-Man 3 trailers, which I never liked, but nothing is wowing me. I guess that is the nature of these things, it's difficult to do that after 10 years and dozens of Superhero movies trailers. 

Just now, ThomasNicole said:

Yeah, i think all the connections they’re forcing with Avengers and the “only the beginning” slogan is promising something the movie doesn’t look even interesting in doing. 

the "they're here" after that montage is just asking for trouble

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

This can lead to very bad WOM is somewhat people go watch it expecting a super relevant movie in the grand scheme of MCU.

We've been explicitly told the movie isn't interested in that! 

“I think superhero fatigue absolutely exists,” DaCosta told Total Film magazine. “The biggest difference from the other MCU movies to date is that [‘The Marvels’ is] really wacky, and silly. The worlds we go to in this movie are worlds unlike others you’ve seen in the MCU. Bright worlds that you haven’t seen before.”

Disney knew the director was the only person they could put up to the press tour. They clearly touched base with her on how to sell the film. This is a very different film than the closing trailer promises.

15 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Remember when Marvel used to be able to make good trailers, even out of middle-of-the-road movies? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

Actually, I did a little retrospective for myself of all the past marvel trailers a while ago, just to see how they've evolved. I was actually extremely surprised by how great this trailer was, because most trailers from back then are just not that great. 

16 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

This is actually a concern I'm beginning to have. I don't want people to be misled and hurt the cinemascore. But like, i've seen people who have interpreted the trailers as implying Thanos would be in the movie. Which on one hand is just illiterate, but on the other hand, that could cause a massive let down. I think Dar-Benn is probably operating on the same ideology as thanos, but I doubt Thanos' name would even be invoked in the film more than once. It could even be zero times. 

It’s funny the reaction here is “I can’t believe they’re being so desperate.” Guys, it’s a full length trailer coming out 3 days before the movie releases. Its very existence is desperate. They might as well go all out at this point. Disney has also seen the presales. They really have nothing to lose by going all in on Avengers nostalgia. 

• Sad 2

3 minutes ago, ZeroHour said:

It’s funny the reaction here is “I can’t believe they’re being so desperate.” Guys, it’s a full length trailer coming out 3 days before the movie releases. Its very existence is desperate. They might as well go all out at this point. Disney has also seen the presales. They really have nothing to lose by going all in on Avengers nostalgia. 

Not sure that's a good line of reasoning. The Final trailer for multiverse of madness also released 2 days before the film's release date. And they also used footage from previous projects, including Infinity War, for about the first 35 seconds of the trailer. So unless you think that was also desperate, despite the massive opening weekend for that film, then this isn't really sufficient criteria. 

• Haha 1

The main difference between the nostalgia-clips in this, vs the final trailer for Multiverse of Madness, is that this one spends a few seconds with characters who don't seem to be part of this film's plot. But The purpose is clear. Thanos is there to imply this new villain is operating on Thanos' ideology, or something along those lines. Stark and Steve are there, each time followed by a shot of Carol, to make it clear to us that we're supposed to see carol as one of the new "main characters" of the MCU

Edited by Hypercortical
  • Like 1

Was just talking to my niece who is going to school in Hawaii. She is flying home for the next 5 days. I said kind of said as a joke cool we can go see the Marvels this weekend. She was like nope not excited. A few years ago she would have bought tickets to the first showing and been chomping at the bit. She was a massive MCU fan. The damage is real.

Reusing avengers footage and last minute trailers are nothing new for MCU tbh, only looks desperate because we already know this is heading to absolute bomba territory.

It's pretty clear they re-tooled the marketing away from the "fun space romp" they were saying this would be (and that I assume this still is), not sure that will help much this late though. Either way, think it looks ok.

• Like 1

This was absolutely a bad edit job. It feels like amateur work, I don't know why. The white vignette on the nostalgia footage is unbelievably corny. There's an overabundance of spliced dialogue, and the fast cuts at the end are bizarrely off-rhythm (between 1:43 to 1:47)

Edited by Hypercortical