Eric Lasagna

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

1 minute ago, Hypercortical said:

The most common criticism that i'm really curious to see for myself is the "disjointed" criticism. I'm seeing it all over the place. 

I think it could have used a few more scenes here and there to flesh things out but I didn't think it was disjointed either. It's definitely not a cut up mess like some have suggested (I saw one critic comparing this to Josstice League which is just absurd).

3 minutes ago, Mulder said:

I have to be honest, the only one of these four which I think is guaranteed to make money is The Batman 2.

Were I a betting man, I'd take a bet on at least 3 of those 4 making a nice amount of money.

Or a bet about their total BO numbers being over 3 billion dollars WW.

I'm not a betting man though, so I'll just wait and see what happens. But yes, if three of these movies bomb, then we can declare the genre sorta dead.

Edited by Arlborn

1 hour ago, Ozymandias said:

Well, the only movie on that list I'll probably ever watch is Mission Impossible.

fast x is really funny

9 minutes ago, DInky said:

I think it could have used a few more scenes here and there to flesh things out but I didn't think it was disjointed either. It's definitely not a cut up mess like some have suggested (I saw one critic comparing this to Josstice League which is just absurd).

idk but I definitely get the sense that there is something unconventional about the editing of the film. Some people say "disjointed", some say "wonky", or even "snappy". It kind of reminds me of the Mario movie, which was criticized quite a bit for it's pace being so rapid, with action set-piece after action set-piece, and little time to simmer. 

But in Mario's case I guess the audience really liked that. Maybe that's just a thing now, with the rise of the tiktok generation. 

Edited by Hypercortical

1 minute ago, Hypercortical said:

idk but I definitely get the sense that there is something unconventional about the editing of the film. Some people say "disjointed", some say "wonky", or even "snappy". It kind of reminds me of the Mario movie, which was criticized quite a bit for it's pace being so rapid, with action set-piece after action set-piece, and little time to simmer. 

My go-to example of a movie that is so fast-paced that it becomes nonsense is The Rise of Skywalker. I remember walking out of the theater and thinking "this is not a movie". The Marvels is not that.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Does it matter if DP3 is huge? It has zero bearing on MCU. They can’t really mix Deadpool in because it clashes with the Disney brand of MCU and they’re not making R rated MCU team ups for Deadpool.

NOPE. It made its bank mocking the MCU for the most part.

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Does it matter if DP3 is huge? It has zero bearing on MCU. They can’t really mix Deadpool in because it clashes with the Disney brand of MCU and they’re not making R rated MCU team ups for Deadpool.

Disney is getting back into making R rated films, though not under the Disney brand name; shades of the 1990's where they has Touchstone, Hollywood, and Miramaz to handle the more "adult" material keeping the Disney brand pure.

2 minutes ago, Sckathian said:

NOPE. It made its bank mocking the MCU for the most part.

Actaully, one of the tings that made Marvel popular in it's rise in the 1960's was it was never afraid to poke fun on itself, compared to DC which did not that until sort of forced to do so to competer wiht marvel.

4 minutes ago, cooldude97 said:

look on the bright side for Brie, now she has more time to campaign for that Metroid movie she wants to make.

I don't think she's made for the action star limelight. She had no energy/charisma for Captain Marvel and Fast X. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Mulder said:

I have to be honest, the only one of these four which I think is guaranteed to make money is The Batman 2.

Joker 2 is locked to make money, considering the budget is well under $200m and it is the sequel to a beloved $1b-without-China grossing movie. If that doesn't make money, the CBM genre may as well be considered to be dead.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Joker 2 is locked to make money, considering the budget is well under $200m and it is the sequel to a beloved $1b-without-China grossing movie. If that doesn't make money, the CBM genre may as well be considered to be dead.

Not sure how the GA will react to a sequel that is a musical