Inceptionzq

Top 100 Sci-Fi movies reveal thread. Full list revealed! The Matrix wins!

69 points, 10 lists, Two rank 11-15 votes, Two rank 6-10 votes, Four rank 2-3 votes

Hide contents

2001: A Space Odyssey

Image result for 2001 a space odyssey poster

@Jake Gittes:

"The first time I watched 2OO1 - on my TV at home - I barely stayed awake. The second time, also at home, I thought it was OK, with a few stunning moments here and there. The third time, when it was re-released in IMAX in 2018, I was weeping tears of happiness before half an hour had passed. I felt every emotion amplified tenfold: a profound surge of pride when that ape first picked up the bone, of pain when it used it to kill. No matter how much Kubrick may get accused - highly reductively, if not outright wrongly - of being a cold, machine-like filmmaker, I know that seeing the "space waltz" sequences set to "The Blue Danube" on that massive screen, with their all-encompassing sense of wonder, was about as close to a religious experience as I've ever had at the movies. Even then, the single most emotional moment for me was not actually set in space: it was that of a woman slowly walking to a sleeping man and placing the floating pen that had begun floating away from him back in his pocket, a simplest, loveliest gesture that's all the more affecting because it's so tiny, serving as almost a counterintuitive climax to all that bone-to-spaceship grandeur that precedes it. It's 2OO1 in a nutshell: humanity next to the Universe, to the infinite.

In light of such intense subjective emotion, it seems beside the point to argue about what in 2OO1 "works" or "doesn't work". I don't love all of this movie; but I know it's a completely realized work, every aspect of it approached with the utmost care, and the kind of accomplished, confident art that doesn't ask anything of you other than to share the space with it while it unfolds. Watching it on the big screen, I could comfortably surrender myself to it, free to pick up on and appreciate (either for the first time or with greater force than before) any elements and details that spoke to me: the precise compositions and colors, the bone-chilling cross-cutting between HAL and the sleeping - then dead - astronauts, the intensity and focus with which Keir Dullea's eyes dart across the screen, the painful contradiction of HAL pleading for its life with Bowman in the same bland, measured voice as ever. I may not love all of this movie, but I love that exists in the form it does, that it's here, that it speaks to people. At its best, it is as wondrous as anything the medium has ever given us."

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

I had ET at number one.

Too low here, but that's okay.  This site is way way younger than I am.  

I had it at 12 on my list, a great film that I used to watch a lot when I was young but their are many other films I feel do the genre better in my opinion. Still I’m glad it at least cracked the top 20. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, baumer said:

I had ET at number one.

Too low here, but that's okay.  This site is way way younger than I am.  

E.T. was in my top ten. I absolutely adore that film, it helps that I grew up with it. I got to see it on the big screen a few years ago for the first time, which was an absolute treat. 

• Like 2

72 points, 12 lists, Two rank 11-15 votes, One rank 6-10 vote, Three rank 2-3 votes

Hide contents

Children of Men

Image result for children of men poster

gogoschka-1(IMDB):

"I first saw 'Children of Men' when it came out, 10 years ago, and while I liked it a lot, I kind of forgot about it soon. At the time, it failed to resonate with me on a deeper level - which in hindsight I find astounding.

Last month, a decade later almost to the day, I suddenly felt the urge to revisit the film (because it was mentioned in an article about "long takes"), and upon re-watching it, it just blew my mind. This film is so, so, good!

It not only manages in many aspects to be the most prophetic - and most shockingly realistic - sci-fi film I have ever seen: it achieves that feat with a level of style and through such an abundance of fantastic creative choices and innovative camera techniques that I was simply left in awe.

I was forced to conclude that this film was a visionary piece of art (and how that fact had eluded me the first time around I couldn't - and still can't - explain). It's a cinéphile's dream come true; it's a masterpiece in the true sense of the word.

'Children of Men' is a gut-wrenching look at an all too possible future, but it also works as a heart-stopping, adrenaline-rush-inducing piece of entertainment featuring some of the most breathtaking camera work you'll ever see.

The performances are flawless. The artwork, the production design, the music; I could go on and on: this is one of those few real masterworks where everything just comes together right. And I believe the final 30 minutes of the film rank among the finest achievements in the history of Cinema. Period.

10 Stars out of 10."

• Like 5
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 1

76 points, 14 lists, One rank 11-15 vote, Three rank 6-10 votes, Two #1 votes

Hide contents

The Thing(1982)

Image result for the thing 1982 poster

ChadKuhns(IMDB):

"Just to put things in perspective for you before I get into my thoughts on this film, I am only 20 years old and have grown up in the era of CGI, blue screen effects...and this movie was made around the same time i was born.

With that said, WOW, I only recently saw John Carpenter's version of 'The Thing', and what a masterpiece it truly is. I have long since been a fan of John Carpenter, in particular his works from the late 70's and 80's. In 'The Thing' John Carpenter has truly crafted a paranoia inducing, perhaps gut wrenching classic.

The movie is an update of the classic 'The Thing From Outer Space', but only like it's predecessor, this film is in full color, and the characters of this film have much more to worry about than an alien veggie

The film centers around a group of Arctic Researchers you encounter an alien lifeform capable of taking the form of anything it comes into contact with, and out of for that matter. Kurt Russell stars as R.J. MacReady, an alcoholic Vietnam Vet, thrust into the role of leader of a group of relatively cold and callous men all of whom are readily plunging into manic paranoia and somewhat madness once they realize that they are up against a creature that can take any form, be any one of them.

John Carpenter, more than in any other of his films, manages to create a truly believable and incredible atmosphere. When watching this film you truly get the sense of the dark,sinister, desolate surroundings, you feel and realize that these characters have no where to go...never for one second do you not believe they are stuck on a polar ice cap. Also, this film has perhaps one of the greatest endings to any film of it's genre, or any genre for that matter. I'm not going to give it away here, but to say that it will leave you wondering would be an understatement.

Kurt Russell is superb as MacReady....truly conveying the emotions of a man thrust into a situation of unimaginable horror, forced to lead a group of men who cannot trust that the man next to them is not the creature that has driven them to the brink of paranoia and emotional meltdown.

I don't care if this movie is 20 years old by now, the special effects in this movie are gut wrenching, mind blowing, and absolutely awesome. They blow away any CGI pixel based crap out there today. The 'Thing' itself is a truly horrifying and disturbing creation...unlike any alien you have ever seen in a movie before. Those who have a low tolerance for gore and blood had best prepare themselves for watching this movie.

This movie does what any good horror/sci fi movie should do, it really thrusts you into it's character's world. It leaves you wondering, what would you do, who could you trust if anyone you knew could be the creature waiting to feed on you, and take you over as well. The images, and ideals of this movie stayed with me long after i first saw it, and today as i write this review send a chill up my spine.

It is a true shame this movie is only now getting the proper recognition it deserves. A box office flop when released, now more then ever when movies are paper thin with plot, and one dimensional in effects, this film can be appreciated as a true masterpiece of sci/fi and horror.

If possible, get the Collector's Edition DVD, and enjoy it in anamorphic widescreen..the way it is truly meant to be seen. Marvel at the incredible scenery, the taught direction, the excellent atmosphere, the sweat inducing, gag reflex activating, and everything else that makes this movie great.

Watch it with the lights out, with a group of close friends...maybe even with a dog around...if you don't what i'm talking about...you will afterwards.

Don't let a classic pass you by"

• Like 8
  • Astonished 1

Just now, Fancyarcher said:

E.T. was in my top ten. I absolutely adore that film, it helps that I grew up with it. I got to see it on the big screen a few years ago for the first time, which was an absolute treat. 

It's such a terrific theatrical experience!

81 points, 17 lists, Four rank 11-15 votes, Two rank 6-10 votes

Hide contents

Arrival

Image result for arrival movie poster

@Tower

"Arrival is the kind of film that is very hard to pull off. It would be very easy for the film to be boring for significant parts until the direction becomes apparent, but this film managed to keep me intrigued the whole time, even when I didn’t yet get the point of the film. 

Another issue the film could have had is to have the reveal feel like some gimmicky twist, but here the film slowly reveals what it’s about, doing so in a thoughtful manner so that in the end everything falls into place and fits together perfectly, with every moment having a point.

As science fiction this film is wonderfully imaginative in a way that sets itself apart. The Aliens are unique in appearance, communication and way of thinking rather than just feeling like altered humans, which so many other films do."

• Like 6
  • Astonished 2
  • ...wtf 1

2 minutes ago, Inceptionzq said:

72 points, 12 lists, Two rank 11-15 votes, One rank 6-10 vote, Three rank 2-3 votes

Hide contents

Children of Men

Image result for children of men poster

gogoschka-1(IMDB):

"I first saw 'Children of Men' when it came out, 10 years ago, and while I liked it a lot, I kind of forgot about it soon. At the time, it failed to resonate with me on a deeper level - which in hindsight I find astounding.

Last month, a decade later almost to the day, I suddenly felt the urge to revisit the film (because it was mentioned in an article about "long takes"), and upon re-watching it, it just blew my mind. This film is so, so, good!

It not only manages in many aspects to be the most prophetic - and most shockingly realistic - sci-fi film I have ever seen: it achieves that feat with a level of style and through such an abundance of fantastic creative choices and innovative camera techniques that I was simply left in awe.

I was forced to conclude that this film was a visionary piece of art (and how that fact had eluded me the first time around I couldn't - and still can't - explain). It's a cinéphile's dream come true; it's a masterpiece in the true sense of the word.

'Children of Men' is a gut-wrenching look at an all too possible future, but it also works as a heart-stopping, adrenaline-rush-inducing piece of entertainment featuring some of the most breathtaking camera work you'll ever see.

The performances are flawless. The artwork, the production design, the music; I could go on and on: this is one of those few real masterworks where everything just comes together right. And I believe the final 30 minutes of the film rank among the finest achievements in the history of Cinema. Period.

10 Stars out of 10."

Criminally low as well

All of the best Sci-Fi movies are missing the top 10

Movies that got 8 points:

Spoiler

Predestination

Okja

THX 1138

Terminator 3

Your Name

Them!

Jurassic World

Alien: Resurrection

Cloverfield

Movies that got 9 points:

Spoiler

Jurassic Park: The Lost World

Mad Max

Running Man

Attack the Block

Solo

A Quiet Place

Repo Man

Movies that got 10 points:

Spoiler

Godzilla(1954)

Star Trek: The Voyage Home

Weird Science

Idiocracy

Innerspace

Fantastic Planet

Stargate

Frequency

I Am Mother

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country

Be back in about 10!

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

It's such a terrific theatrical experience!

Absolutely, especially with the iconic flying sequences. It's one of those movies that's even better when seen on one of the largest screens possible. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

nah it's gonna be the matrix

Forgot about that one. T2 as well I guess... all the "college dudebro" sci-fi movies

BOT members spending so much time creating these wonderful lists, and BOT consistently giving the top prize to a Nolan movie reminds me of this

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Inceptionzq said:

Movies that got 9 points:

Hide contents

Repo Man

whatever fuck all o you. going for a spin. there's nothing better left in this list for me

Edited by Jake Gittes

83 points, 16 lists, Two rank 11-15 votes, One rank 6-10 vote, Two rank 4-5 votes, One rank 2-3 vote

Hide contents

The Terminator

Image result for terminator poster

Smells_Like_Cheese(IMDB):

"The Terminator is one of those films that no matter if you've seen it or not, you've heard of it, heck you know at least one or two lines without seeing it! This is the movie that blasted then new comer's Arnold Schwartzeneggerr's career, made James Cameron a name in Hollywood, and gave new meaning to a possible dark future that gave us nightmares. I remember the first time I saw this movie, I was just 8 years old and my dad of course walks in saying to cover my eyes at every "bad" scene with violence or nudity, needless to say about 70% of the movie he covered my eyes. Finally I got to see it with my mom and I was in love, this wasn't just an action movie, though it is one of the best, it had a story. To think this was all based upon just a quick nightmare that James Cameron had, he didn't have much money, but he had a good script, a great crew on his side to make one of cinema's greatest movies of all time.

Two men appear in Los Angeles in separate locations, manifesting in sudden, blinding flash-storms of electricity. One is heavily muscular; the other man, slim and wiry. The mysterious muscular man obtains weapons and begins hunting down all women named "Sarah Connor", using a phone book to track his targets. He successfully kills the first two of the three listed women. When he attempts to kill the last Sarah Connor, he is stopped by the other man, Kyle Reese who has been sent back in time to protect her. While hiding in a parking garage, Reese explains that the man hunting Sarah is actually a cyborg assassin called a "Terminator", built by Skynet, an artificial intelligence network created by Cyberdyne Systems. In the near future, Reese explains, Skynet gained self-awareness, initiated a global takeover of military hardware, and launched a nuclear war against humanity. Skynet ordered that a scant number of humans were to be kept alive in order to be used as slave labor. John Connor, Sarah's son, rallied the few remaining humans and led a resistance movement against the machines. After a grinding campaign, the human resistance was on the verge of victory; in a last-ditch effort, Skynet sent the Terminator back in time to kill Sarah before John was born, preventing the resistance from ever being founded and allowing the machines to win by default. Reese volunteered to follow the Terminator back in time to protect Sarah; after his use of the time transportation equipment, it was to be destroyed by the resistance in order to prevent further Terminators from going back in time. The Terminator feels no pain, has no emotions, and will stop at nothing to accomplish its mission.

The Terminator is personally one of my favorite movies of all time, I think because this movie really is something special. Yeah, the effects are very 80's, but for the time and even to this day, I think the special effects are much better than the CGI crud we get in today's cinema. This has everything: action, romance, horror, sci-fi, and even some dark humor. The reason why Arnold's "I'll be back" is so famous is not just because of his accent, but because you knew that something bad was coming. Kyle Reese's "Come with me if you want to live" is classic as well. If you haven't seen The Terminator, I highly recommend this movie, it's an incredible one that is sure to deliver entertainment to the fullest. This is one of the greatest movies of all time and I'm sure that you will not be disappointed, if you are, get a CAT scan.

10/10"

• Like 11

85 points, 15 lists, Five rank 11-15 votes, Three rank 4-5 votes

Hide contents

Alien

Image result for alieb poster

chrishn(IMDB):

"In "Alien" we follow a seven man crew en-route to earth on board the huge space freighter "Nostromo". The crew is in cryosleep, but the on board computer interrupts the journey when a foreign radio signal is picked up. It originates from an uninhabited planet and the crew lands to investigate. There they make contact with an alien life-form...

What makes Alien so great is the constant feel of uneasiness. Right from the beginning you have a feeling that something is wrong. The crew is not particularly friendly towards each other, and you truly feel all the in-group tension. The ship itself is a huge worn out industrial-style maze of halls and corridors, and it feels more like a prison than a place to live. It is as if not only the alien but also the ship itself is against the humans. The Alien itself is the scariest monster in history because it is a ruthless, soul-less parasite completely devoid of any human or civilized traits. The design of the monster is a stroke of genius. Sure it has a humanoid form, but it has no facial traits or anything else which could give away emotions or intentions. Its actions reveals no weaknesses nor civilized intelligence. The Alien is more or less the opposite of everything human and civilized, plus the creature is more well-adapted to the inhumane interior of the ship than the humans who build it. To sum up, you then have a setting where the humans are caught in a web of in-group tensions, an inhospitable ship and the perfect killer which thrives in the ships intestines. You almost get the feel that the humans are the ones who are alienated to each other and to their own ship.

Ridley Scott tells the story with a perfectly synchronized blend of visuals and sounds.

The actors do a superb job, portraying their characters in a subtle but very realistic way. The seven man crew is not a bunch of Hollywood heroes. They are ordinary people with strengths and weaknesses, likes and dislikes. In this way they all seem so fragile when confronted with the enemy.

As mentioned the ship is very claustrophobic and Ridley Scott adds to the eeriness by using camera movement, lights and shadows in an effective way. The living quarters are bright and should be comfortable to the crew, but there is something sterile about it all. The rest of the ship is basically a huge basement.

The music by Jerry Goldsmith underlines the eeriness so well, and the movie wouldn't have worked without his score. Combined with the sounds of the ship it all adds to the uneasiness.

This is not a story about heroic people who boldly teams up against evil. It's a story about ordinary people facing true fear, which is the fear without a face. The fear we can't understand and can't negotiate with, because its only goal is to survive on the expense of us. It's a story where some people bravely fight back whilst others are destroyed by the terror. It's a story where people a killed in a completely random way. There is no higher-order justice behind who gets to live and who dies. All seven characters are just part of a race where the fittest - not necessarily the most righteous - will prevail, and all seven characters start the race on an equal footing. None of them are true heroes, and none of them are true villains.

All the above makes Alien so great as a horror movie. The terror isn't just the Alien itself, it's the entire atmosphere which gets so effectively under your skin, that you just can't shrug it off after the end credits like you can with so many other Hollywood horror movies. The title "Alien" doesn't just refer to the monster, it is the theme of the movie and it is the feeling you have during and after the movie. 9/10"

• Like 9
  • Astonished 1