Eric Duncan

Percy Jackson | Disney+ | Officially greenlit

I'm thinking this will be a hit, maybe a sleeper hit but a solid hit nonetheless. 

From everything I've seen/heard the people behind this show really put some effort into it, especially Rick Riordan, who was not a fan of those two live action movies so him being involved with this tv series really feels like him wanting his work adapted right this time.

We don't really have many good YA shows on at the moment so I'm praying this show takes off.

Edited by clockwork

14 hours ago, clockwork said:

I'm thinking this will be a hit, maybe a sleeper hit but a solid hit nonetheless. 

From everything I've seen/heard the people behind this show really put some effort into it, especially Rick Riordan, who was not a fan of those two live action movies so him being involved with this tv series really feels like him wanting his work adapted right this time.

We don't really have many good YA shows on at the moment so I'm praying this show takes off.

Not a fan puts it lightly ^^ He never watched the movies and only read the script for the first one, while it was in production.

He wrote down his experience here: https://rickriordan.com/2018/11/memories-from-my-tv-movie-experience/

My favorite part from one of the emails he send the producers after reading the script:

Having said that, here’s the bad news: The script as a whole is terrible. I don’t simply mean that it deviates from the book, though certainly it does that to point of being almost unrecognizable as the same story. Fans of the books will be angry and disappointed. They will leave the theater in droves and generate horrible word of mouth. That is an absolute given if the script goes forward as it stands now. But the bigger problem is that even if you pretend the book doesn’t exist, this script doesn’t work as a story in its own right.

The good news: It is eminently fixable. When I first read the script I’ll admit I was plunged into despair at just how bad it was. If I were intentionally trying to sabotage this project, I doubt I could have done a better job than this script. But as I began to make notes and look specifically at what was bothering me, I realized that the script could be made palatable to fans and the general movie-going audience without really changing its present scene structure, lengthening the script, or adding new sets that would increase the budget. I am choosing to take heart in your assurance that this script is not finished. That is one thing we can agree on: It needs help.

First episode is up on Hulu and the first two are up on Disney Plus.

My non-spoiler thoughts are that the 2nd episode is much better than the first. Once the exposition is out of the way things improve in the first. As someone who read the books there were plenty of moments where I was like "yep, thats correct, that right there is correct" etc, etc. But, even discarding my knowledge of the books, the plot isn't complicated at all so anyone can jump into the series and follow along with everybody else.

One line that made me chuckle was Percy saying "So you feel in love with god? You mean like Jesus?" Walker Scobell has my seal of approval. I think all the other young actors are solid as well and behave like kids. Leah Jefferies as Annabeth has me intrigued as she carries herself well and I see great potential in her.

I don't really have any strong negatives aside from the first episode starting off kinda slow, but it doesn't take long to get to the good stuff. If you're a fan of Harry Potter or young adult fantasy then I'd say definitely check it out, it's gonna get better from here.

Edited by clockwork

39 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

They kinda brush over some things a bit fast (I think the trident thing could have been shot in a much cooler way than just a random wide shot) but it's very good. Also Mantzoukas as Mr D is beyond perfect. Arguably the best cast character in the show.

Mantzoukas is an underrated actor in general. He was terrific in DuckTales and is great in Invincible. I hope this leads him to bigger opportunities in the years to come.

Percy isn't snarky enough. Either the writing lets him down or the acting at points, more often the writing. Very rarely will it work in tandem and make me laugh.

I get the general idea ("Oh shit so much weird stuff is happening and I lost my mom") but even in the books Percy was a bit more lively.

Final episode of the season is out right now. After watching it I really really liked it. I quite enjoyed watching this show and it mostly lived up to my expectations as a fan of the book series/world.

This first season as a whole was not perfect but there's no issue present that can't be fixed throughout later seasons.

The ratings have been pretty good, the reviews have been really good. I would be shocked and disappointed if this show was not renewed for a 2nd season. Out of all the stuff Disney Plus has in their catalog thus far this show has the potential (and the preexisting material) to go on for several seasons. 5 books total and one season per book means this series could go on for about 10 years minimum. There's also a sequel series and a couple of spin-offs as well involving different mythologies.

As much as I enjoy marvel and Star Wars none of their current shows I could see going beyond 2 seasons unfortunately. Disney Plus needs a long running series and this is the one to do it imo.

Edited by clockwork
  • Like 1

I watched the first episode and it seemed a bit slow but also kinda rushed at the same time. Percy could've been fleshed out a bit more before rushing him off to camp and I was hoping we would get more on the mythology of the gods but I assume that'll come in future episodes. I remember enjoying the movie more though.

32 minutes ago, Youngstar said:

Very glad to hear this! Hopefully being given more room to grow gives them the opportunity to turn this into a truly great story. I still enjoyed the first season, but the overreliance on exposition and weird pacing prevented it from being truly great. I'm hoping for the best!