movies!movies!

Bullet Train | Sony | August 5, 2022 | Brad Pitt and a bunch of other people

40 minutes ago, Thena said:

Some here thinks he is😭😭 when he hasn't even had a hit since 2013. OUATIH was successful due to Leo. He stopped being a movie star in 2009.  He was never really a movie star if we being honest. He was just smart for creating Plan B. I give him that. Other than he's not successful at all. Ad Astra, Allied, Killing Them Softly, Fury. How many flops can someone have💀

Fury wasn't a flop lol. $211M worldwide for a war movie with a budget between $70-80M is a win. But it was an attempt, I guess.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Fury wasn't a flop lol. $211M worldwide for a war movie with a budget between $70-80M is a win. But it was an attempt, I guess.

It had 80m DOM. How is that a success? By the way I wasn't the only one said he's not a BO draw. It was based on the trailer not doing well.

28 minutes ago, Maggie said:

He stars in some damn good movies. I expect this one to be great too. His filmography is the best outta his contemporaries. August is empty. This shall be a leggy film

Who are his contemporaries tho? Cause it's not hard to have better filmography than Clooney. He's not a movie star anymore. 

1 minute ago, Thena said:

It had 80m DOM. How is that a success? By the way I wasn't the only one said he's not a BO draw. It was based on the trailer not doing well.

A success by genre standards (which usually struggles whenever there isn't any awards buzz to really carry it, as was the case with that movie).

Have A Lovely Day GIFs | Tenor

5 minutes ago, Thena said:

Who are his contemporaries tho? Cause it's not hard to have better filmography than Clooney. He's not a movie star anymore. 

lol no matter how many times you repeat it, doesn't make it true. He is and always will be A list. Expect another Oscar nom this year with Babylon. He perfectly balances award winning, quality movies with crowd pleaser like Bullet Train

Edited by Maggie

13 minutes ago, Maggie said:

lol no matter how many times you repeat it, doesn't make it true. He is and always will be A list. Expect another Oscar nom this year with Babylon. He perfectly balances award winning, quality movies with crowd pleaser like Bullet Train

You said that the trailer didn't do well. What does that mean? A flop.

14 minutes ago, filmlover said:

A success by genre standards (which usually struggles whenever there isn't any awards buzz to really carry it, as was the case with that movie).

Have A Lovely Day GIFs | Tenor

Excuses because Leo has already proved this wrong. The Great Gatsby

Just now, Thena said:

You said that the trailer didn't do well. What does that mean? A flop.

We should wait before declaring it a flop. Trailer views/likes doesn't indicate this will set the BO on fire, but it's too soon to say. I think it will have good legs in August to end up with a decent gross

4 minutes ago, Thena said:

*Angelina. He can't carry a movie by his own🤷🏽‍♀️ That's just fact.

Wanna play this game? Fine.

Legends of the Fall made $161 million off a $30 million budget, despite mixed reception. Seven did $327 million off a $33 million. The Mexican earned $148 million off a $57 million budget, despite mixed reception. Troy made nearly $500 million, ranking in the top 10 of that year, all off a $175-185 million budget, 2.7 times the high-end budget. Babel did $135 million off a $25 million budget, and earned tons of Oscar noms and a Golden Globe win, meaning it probably did very well in the ancillary market after the fact.

Inglorious Basterds made $321 million worldwide and was far and away Tarantino's biggest movie ever on its release. Benjamin Button did $336 million off a $167 million budget and earned tons of Oscar love. Moneyball did $110.2 million. While barely double its $50 million budget, it still had tons of Oscar love, and judging by how it's always on cable and streaming on Netflix, I'm sure it made a pretty penny in the ancillary market. World War Z's probably up in the air because of how huge the budget was, but $540 million is a lot of money and Paramount was willing to make a sequel until it didn't happen. Fury did $212 million off a high-end $80 million budget.

Can you argue that some of these movies weren't huge success stories? Sure. Can you argue some of these movies got help from Oscar buzz or for its genre or for its source material? You can make that argument. Is he as consistent as his contemporaries like Bullock or Will Smith or DiCaprio or The Rock? No. But these movies were all successes at the end of the day, likely still rake in plenty of money in the ancillary market, and all emphasized Pitt's presence and starpower in some considerable way. And even ensemble pieces or movies where he was opposite a major star, like the Ocean's series or Mr. & Mrs. Smith or Once Upon a Time in Hollywood or The Big Short all emphasized Pitt in the advertising and publicity. Saying he isn't a movie star or a draw at all and that he can't sell a movie on his own just doesn't hold much water.

And if you want to say something like "Basterds had Tarantino! Troy was aping Gladiator! Fury didn't make as much as Dunkirk!", I can do the exact same thing with Jolie and her hits. The Bone Collector had Denzel. Gone in 60 Seconds was helped by Nicolas Cage. The Tomb Raider movies were based on an iconic video game series at its absolute all-time peak of popularity. The Kung Fu Panda movies are Jack Black vehicles and helped by the Dreamworks name. The Tourist had Johnny Depp. Maleficent is based off an iconic Disney movie. Eternals is a Marvel joint. She does have Wanted and Salt however, which were both giant names solely sold off her personality, so good on her there. (Aside, I'm not dissing Jolie nor her starpower. It's clear she was an important part of many of these movies and their hype. I'm just showing how ridiculous this all is)

If you don't like Brad Pitt, that's more than fine. I don't really care for him as a person either. But rewriting history like this and doing this incessant concern trolling over this movie isn't going to make things better. If anything, it makes your disliking of him look unfounded and petty. And I suggest you quit this act, and perhaps avoid the Bullet Train thread altogether, because the next time you screw up, you're seeing a threadban. Your choice bucko.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Eric the Last Dinosaur said:

Legends of the Fall made $161 million off a $30 million budget, despite mixed reception. Seven did $327 million off a $33 million. The Mexican earned $148 million off a $57 million budget, despite mixed reception. Troy made nearly $500 million, ranking in the top 10 of that year, all off a $175-185 million budget, 2.7 times the high-end budget. Babel did $135 million off a $25 million budget, and earned tons of Oscar noms and a Golden Globe win, meaning it probably did very well in the ancillary market after the fact.

Inglorious Basterds made $321 million worldwide and was far and away Tarantino's biggest movie ever on its release. Benjamin Button did $336 million off a $167 million budget and earned tons of Oscar love. Moneyball did $110.2 million. While barely double its $50 million budget, it still had tons of Oscar love, and judging by how it's always on cable and streaming on Netflix, I'm sure it made a pretty penny in the ancillary market. World War Z's probably up in the air because of how huge the budget was, but $540 million is a lot of money and Paramount was willing to make a sequel until it didn't happen. Fury did $212 million off a high-end $80 million budget.

Can you argue that some of these movies weren't huge success stories? Sure. Can you argue some of these movies got help from Oscar buzz or for its genre or for its source material? You can make that argument. Is he as consistent as his contemporaries like Bullock or Will Smith or DiCaprio or The Rock? No. But these movies were all successes at the end of the day, likely still rake in plenty of money in the ancillary market, and all emphasized Pitt's presence and starpower in some considerable way. And even ensemble pieces or movies where he was opposite a major star, like the Ocean's series or Mr. & Mrs. Smith or Once Upon a Time in Hollywood or The Big Short all emphasized Pitt in the advertising and publicity. Saying he isn't a movie star or a draw at all and that he can't sell a movie on his own just doesn't hold much water.

And if you want to say something like "Basterds had Tarantino! Troy was aping Gladiator! Fury didn't make as much as Dunkirk!", I can do the exact same thing with Jolie and her hits. The Bone Collector had Denzel. Gone in 60 Seconds was helped by Nicolas Cage. The Tomb Raider movies were based on an iconic video game series at its absolute all-time peak of popularity. The Kung Fu Panda movies are Jack Black vehicles and helped by the Dreamworks name. The Tourist had Johnny Depp. Maleficent is based off an iconic Disney movie. Eternals is a Marvel joint. She does have Wanted and Salt however, which were both giant names solely sold off her personality, so good on her there. (Aside, I'm not dissing Jolie nor her starpower. It's clear she was an important part of many of these movies and their hype. I'm just showing how ridiculous this all is)

If you don't like Brad Pitt, that's more than fine. I don't really care for him as a person either. But rewriting history like this and doing this incessant concern trolling over this movie isn't going to make things better. If anything, it makes your disliking of him look unfounded and petty. And I suggest you quit this act, and perhaps avoid the Bullet Train thread altogether, because the next time you screw up, you're seeing a threadban. Your choice bucko.

Why did you make this about me? There was another person said that he's not a big draw..He's not anymore. Why do you think the views are so low?

Oh you forgot Mee Jole Black, Seven Years and The devil's own💀Ad Astra,Allied,KTS,Fury.

Edited by Thena

20 hours ago, Eric the Last Dinosaur said:

Leo isn't one of his contemporaries😶

7 hours ago, Thena said:

Birds Of Prey got good reviews but people still didn't go watch it. Will happen to BT. They're not interested in Pitt anymore. He was big because of Angie and now he doesn't have her anymore. I don't know why some can't accept when it's literally tanking on twitter and yt.

What would you consider a flop domestically and worldwide for this then?