Knights of Ren

The Acolyte: High Republic SW Disney+ Show, June 4th

8 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

YouTuber numbers have dropped since the lockdown. Wouldn't be surprised if Jahns is pandering.

He is no Chris Stuckmann anyway.

He been not a big fan of a lot of the recent marvel and Star War shows either. 

The idea that people who not liking this content are all anti woke dude bros is dishonest. 

Edited by Torontofan

Jahns hasn't been a big fan of most post covid Disney stuff like a considerable section of this forum, the GA . So wouldn't really call it pandering.

Im not a fan of the current state of the franchise but this whole "this episode saved or killed starwars" is just annoying.

ST definitely damaged the brand but acting like every single piece of content after ST  that is divisive or not well recieved is the death of starwars.

The problem started right from it's purchase to rushing to put out TFA without a proper vision or plan or long-term goals which resulted in the current.

Reception to acolyte  so far is" fine, interesting ,will see where this goes "  But the end don't really expect it to move the needle in terms of excitement of starwars.

Pixar and WDAs with it's previous woes has strong animation brand and catalogue of sequels to back it and still create excitement out even after rocky period  . Just see IO2 .

Marvel has spiderman,avengers ,X-Men that are still create anticipation despite current woes.

Starwars .

Mando movie . It's solid project but can it transition from TV to movie landscape.

Rey movie.. " is it going to happen or not"  looks like another marvels type run to me.

The rest of the projects are interesting but we are in this "wait and see phase.

Starwars is in a limbo .nothing is exciting, not much confidence in whether movies will be good.

11 hours ago, Torontofan said:

He been not a big fan of a lot of the recent marvel and Star War shows either. 

The idea that people who not liking this content are all anti woke dude bros is dishonest. 

There's anti-woke and then there's pandering to anti-woke. 2 different things. Also bolded part doesn't really go against my perspective on Jahns. It only makes me more sure lmao

7 hours ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Jahns hasn't been a big fan of most post covid Disney stuff like a considerable section of this forum, the GA . So wouldn't really call it pandering.

YouTubing is a business at the end of the day. Clicks matter and unfortunately the fucked up algorithm gives the hate/negative vids more visibility than positive videos. As I said earlier, post-pandemic, YouTubers in the movie/show review space took a real hit. So they have to make up for the losses.

I am not saying Jahns is at the same level as the anti-wokers. But the way that platform is designed, he has more incentive to give a negative review than a positive review. Hate the game, not the player and all that.

Honestly this is why you shouldn't put YT reviewers at the same level as Roger and Ebert.

19 hours ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

Perhaps the simpler answer is that Star Wars is continuing to pay the price of bad content produced in the 21st century. People dislike both the prequel and TLJ moves to define the jedi and that continues to create problems for the franchise when it goes back to the core characters of the series. 

There's a simpler answer. SW is finally paying the price for this

CDN media

Bro copied a complex critique of the white savior narrative and made it into a simplified white man's hero fantasy. It in turn played into 20th Century white men's expectations of being "chosen ones" who are unquestionably the main characters. 

Now some stuff happened in the interim and women in society gained more power, including inheriting the reigns of the franchise. Of course the perpetual manchildren who based their lives around this whole thing are going to push back. They traumatized a white boy child actor from the prequels. Women and POC didn't stand a chance.

Unfortunately for Disney and Kathleen Kennedy, the modern day folks (and awesome Chads from older generations) who are being catered to aren't into SW as much because the OG, more sophisticated story that this franchise has shamelessly ripped off from has unexpectedly blown up on the big screen.

TLDR; After watching the Dune films, more ppl have figured out that Lucas is a ho

Adele Serious Face GIF - Adele Serious Face Winking - Discover & Share GIFs

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

5 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

There's a simpler answer. SW is finally paying the price for this

CDN media

Bro copied a complex critique of the white savior narrative and made it into a simplified white man's hero fantasy. It in turn played into 20th Century white men's expectations of being "chosen ones" who are unquestionably the main characters. 

Now some stuff happened in the interim and women in society gained more power, including inheriting the reigns of the franchise. Of course the perpetual manchildren who based their lives around this whole thing are going to push back. They traumatized a white boy child actor from the prequels. Women and POC didn't stand a chance.

Unfortunately for Disney and Kathleen Kennedy, the modern day folks (and awesome Chads from older generations) who are being catered to aren't into SW as much because the OG, more sophisticated story that this franchise has shamelessly ripped off from has unexpectedly blown up on the big screen.

TLDR; After watching the Dune films, more ppl have figured out that Lucas is a ho

Adele Serious Face GIF - Adele Serious Face Winking - Discover & Share GIFs

Complete bullshit. "Star Wars is ripped off from Dune" just shows you don't actually pay attention and are just here to shit on OG Star Wars with mindless "critiques"

• Thanks 2

Those are fun gifs.

Dune comparison

Even if true, the core problem is that the 21st century hasn't seen Star Wars produce films that create a strong active interest of their own like say Peter Jackson's LotR. Nothing is really actively replacing "the o.g. trilogy" in star wars at this point. A lot of attempts at deconstruction are just not very interesting or compelling in their own right. The lack of actively created new interest really isn't a story of the most passionate dislikers of something new.

That being said, I agree in principal (even while thinking your specific takes are wrong). Stuff like the force is ultimately a bit of a stupid and goofy pastiche of various influences. That's always going to be a problem when trying to create infinite content out of a few movies. The problem is that both major attempts to expand and reintroduce the franchise were in many ways mini disasters. 

1 hour ago, Spidey Freak said:

They traumatized a white boy child actor from the prequels.

Ahmad Best (Jar Jar) has been talking about the sort of dynamic you're talking about in recent years but serious mental illness is just an entirely different world shattering scenario. Jake Lloyd didn't get institutionalized due to schizophrenia from web 1.0 trolls. It's just a sad story which was initially misreported online because he had fallen completely out of the public eye. 

Edited by PlatnumRoyce
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

There's anti-woke and then there's pandering to anti-woke. 2 different things. Also bolded part doesn't really go against my perspective on Jahns. It only makes me more sure lmao

YouTubing is a business at the end of the day. Clicks matter and unfortunately the fucked up algorithm gives the hate/negative vids more visibility than positive videos. As I said earlier, post-pandemic, YouTubers in the movie/show review space took a real hit. So they have to make up for the losses.

I am not saying Jahns is at the same level as the anti-wokers. But the way that platform is designed, he has more incentive to give a negative review than a positive review. Hate the game, not the player and all that.

Honestly this is why you shouldn't put YT reviewers at the same level as Roger and Ebert.

Haven't YT reviewers overall been in the business of preaching to the choir for easy cash ever since it became monetized though? I remember watching a number of Best/Worst Movies of 2015 videos that year and each and every one of them named The Force Awakens as the best movie (it wasn't) and Fifty Shades of Grey as the worst movie (it also wasn't). Talk about pandering lmao. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Torontofan said:

Dune was a huge hit but in the end it sold as half as many tickets as rogue one.

And Solo which was a later movie did less than half of Dune 2. Mando would be lucky if it came anywhere close to D2.

If anyone is interested, this is a good video on the rise of Dune correlating with the fall of SW. It's a different take than mine and I feel my reasoning is simpler, more accurate and less forgiving to this trash fandom but this guy makes some solid points too

1 hour ago, Spidey Freak said:

And Solo which was a later movie did less than half of Dune 2. Mando would be lucky if it came anywhere close to D2.

But that is the point stuff that is well made or actually tie into the originals or makes the original fanbase happy is the only things that are really popular with disney SW.

Take Mando, it mostly hits its peak in the first 2 seaons being a prequel and OT glorfication. 

Well, I have to admit this is swerving in a couple of different directions I didn't expect.  But it was nicely set up ahead of time, as I think back.

Depends on how well they deliver on the set up, but I have to admit I like the direction this is going.  

Could say a lot more here, but instead I think I'll let it sit and stew a bit instead.

• Like 2

Best episode by far. Ending on a cliffhanger after just 28 minutes is aggravating though. Still flowed much better and the next episode should be a banger.

Spoiler

Mae's abrupt turn though was pretty frustrating. There was plenty of time to lay more groundwork for that but it just ended up coming out of nowhere. It also seems blindingly obvious that Ymir is the secret masked bad guy, to the point where I'll be far more impressed if that isn't the twist.

I'm also going to hope that the show knows what it's doing with the plot point of the Jedi hiding their mission from the Council, that seems like something that should have serious repercussions, especially for (I assume?) Ki-Adi Mundi, who we know eventually finds his way onto the Council, and also seems quite skeptical about the Sith having returned. 

I will admit that the creepy Sith entrance raised my opinion of the episode a not-insignificant amount. That was really cool.

Edited by Menor the Destroyer

So is the show just gonna pretend that Yord's padawan from the first half of the first episode doesn't exist?

Episode is fine but a plot heavy episode ending abruptly on a cliffhanger and again not taking a moment to let some characters breathe is becoming a recurring issue for this show in terms of how it structures things.

Edited by 4815162342

Ahh besides final 5 mins this episode was not good and the weakest .

What is the point of Mae character. What a waste . She wasn't the best character or something but her motivations are just so muddled and shift from time to time. Her heel turn in this episode was ridiculous and absolutely no development .  Terrible execution of anti -hero trope so far.

Osha is just in this for plot reasons, not much progression and the relationship with her sister ain't really developed and both just feel like plot devices at this point for the writer.

Jedi dialogue was really bad this episode felt like they were  reading of script. Flat boring and lifeless . Atleast bad prequel dialog is memeable.

Start to ask is this 180m budget show.  This show is just Jedi on set. Jump from scene to scene ,no sense of scale . Talk about senate off screen just some few throw away lines.  Don't really need much or heavy explanations but a sense of what the Jedi are to the world and relationships with different factions
Rest of the shows and movies atleast try .  Acolyte world building is practically non existent .

High republic , the golden era of the Jedi and a time of peace is boring as hell(that  has nothing to do with little action or  no war)

Next week should be  interesting due to that cliffhanger but 4 episodes in and kind dissapointed .For Leslie headland show. 

This is  so safe , unambitious and feels so by the numbers .

Show is a flat 5-6/10 so far.