Eric S'ennui

Untitled Harry Potter Series | HBO Max

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/harry-potter-live-action-tv-series-in-early-development-at-hbo-max-exclusive?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

A Harry Potter live-action TV series is in early development at HBO Max. Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that executives at the WarnerMedia-backed streamer have engaged in multiple conversations with potential writers exploring various ideas that would bring the beloved property to television. Sources say broad ideas have been discussed as part of the early-stage exploratory meetings.

While it's news that executives at HBO Max and Warners are engaged in meetings to find a writer and pitch for a Harry Potter TV series, no writers or talent are currently attached as the conversations are still in the extremely early stages and no deals have been made. "There are no Harry Potter series in development at the studio or on the streaming platform," HBO Max and Warner Bros. reaffirmed in a statement to THR.

I don't understand this at all. Have a show based on another timeframe (like Hogwarts Legacy), or another part of the world (maybe one of the schools they showed in Goblet of Fire or the school on Mount Greylock). They could even show how the threat of Voldemort affect other wizarding schools. Or if they had to show the same location in the same time period,  have it from the perspective of other characters outside the main stars-maybe even focus on houses like Ravenclaw or Hufflepuff. All of those would be original but within the same universe.

Have a complete reboot? I'm not seeing that. The movies and the characters as portrayed by the actors and actresses were WAY to beloved and still, to this day, extremely popular to reboot that. Like Star Wars, the Wizarding World offers too many opportunities and worlds to just reboot what they've already done.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jedijake said:

I don't understand this at all. Have a show based on another timeframe (like Hogwarts Legacy), or another part of the world (maybe one of the schools they showed in Goblet of Fire or the school on Mount Greylock). They could even show how the threat of Voldemort affect other wizarding schools. Or if they had to show the same location in the same time period,  have it from the perspective of other characters outside the main stars-maybe even focus on houses like Ravenclaw or Hufflepuff. All of those would be original but within the same universe.

Have a complete reboot? I'm not seeing that. The movies and the characters as portrayed by the actors and actresses were WAY to beloved and still, to this day, extremely popular to reboot that. Like Star Wars, the Wizarding World offers too many opportunities and worlds to just reboot what they've already done.

They probably think the reason the Fantastic Beasts films didn’t work out was because they didn’t involve the OG trio. I’m sure they would’ve rather made a TFA-style sequel with the original cast, but I’m guessing that would be too difficult at the moment for a few reasons, so this is their next “best” thing. 

• Like 1

There was an aspect of the books that I really loved reading as a kid that were lost in the movie adaptations due to length, which is the daily life of the students in Hogwarts, always intertwined with some kind of mystery that was unfolding during the whole school year. That made a big difference to me, and I never considered the films to be really successful at translating the books. So, I think there's potential in remaking them as a TV series, it could be a different thing.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Napoleon said:

There was an aspect of the books that I really loved reading as a kid that were lost in the movie adaptations due to length, which is the daily life of the students in Hogwarts, always intertwined with some kind of mystery that was unfolding during the whole school year. That made a big difference to me, and I never considered the films to be really successful at translating the books. So, I think there's potential in remaking them as a TV series, it could be a different thing.

I agree. I thought a lot of amazing parts have been left out. One was when Dumbledore was trying to recruit the giants in OOTP or the maze in GOF.

• Like 2

The movies always felt like a Wikipedia summary of the books. Character development and nuances have been lost.

I do think they did an amazing job considering the constraints but Harry Potter always felt like something more suited for TV show.

If they do this right and Casey Bloys' involvement in negotiations is assuring me they will, this has a chance to be the definitive adaptation and much better product than the movies.

Edited by WeThrones
  • Like 1

Cmon WB, just crack open the break in case of emergency box on the movie sequel series. A remake here is pointless, and you can’t tell me the OG 3 can’t be convinced to hop on board the money train for the sequels. 

Edited by MovieMan89

This feels like a slap in the face and an F-U to Daniel, Emma, and Rupert. There are 10 other schools of wizardry around the world. 8 of them have been named with specific locations. One of them (Ilvermorny) has a whole story around it. Why not expand the universe and tell some stories around them? Something smells VERY fishy and odd about all of this. This is like re-making Star Wars with a whole new cast in the early 90's or re-making Wizard of Oz in 1950. Potter is an expansive universe that can stretch across cultural lines.

If they were to explore other stories in the wizarding universe, we'd be compelled to get HBO max. But with this, I see no reason.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, jedijake said:

This feels like a slap in the face and an F-U to Daniel, Emma, and Rupert. There are 10 other schools of wizardry around the world. 8 of them have been named with specific locations. One of them (Ilvermorny) has a whole story around it. Why not expand the universe and tell some stories around them? Something smells VERY fishy and odd about all of this. This is like re-making Star Wars with a whole new cast in the early 90's or re-making Wizard of Oz in 1950. Potter is an expansive universe that can stretch across cultural lines.

If they were to explore other stories in the wizarding universe, we'd be compelled to get HBO max. But with this, I see no reason.

They will milk this first. And then expand. Look at what Disney+ is doing to STAR WARS. The same thing with GOT. There's another prequel announced. 🤣

18 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

They will milk this first. And then expand. Look at what Disney+ is doing to STAR WARS. The same thing with GOT. There's another prequel announced. 🤣

They didn't do the same thing with SW though. They didn't completely remake the same thing. They did prequels and sequels and midquels (Rogue One).

Now, I can see them branching off and showing other characters during the same period. Still not as expansive. It would be cool if they made a movie version of Hogwarts Legacy.

They seem to be SO freaked out about the failure of the FB series that they are scared stiff of going into the expanded universe.

2 minutes ago, jedijake said:

They didn't do the same thing with SW though. They didn't completely remake the same thing. They did prequels and sequels and midquels (Rogue One).

Now, I can see them branching off and showing other characters during the same period. Still not as expansive. It would be cool if they made a movie version of Hogwarts Legacy.

They seem to be SO freaked out about the failure of the FB series that they are scared stiff of going into the expanded universe.

That's understanble, though. WB is not in a great position financially. They need this. Maybe they can expand not necessarily after all 7 seasons of this. Maybe they can start with Ilvermorny during this series 3rd or 4th season?