Eric Duncan

Untitled Harry Potter Series | HBO Max

Following the Max presentation, Bloys said the Harry Potter TV series will be on the budget of Game of Thrones and House of the Dragon, with the latter’s first season clocking in at $125 million. “[It] will be that scale or higher. Whatever it takes to make a quality show,” Bloys said when asked about the show’s potential budget.

WBD execs also said the new series will not preclude them from doing other projects in the vast world of Harry Potter. “We’re free to do anything we want,” Zaslav said. “Some areas we need to do with J.K., other areas we have the full ability to go forward. This is a full deployment on Max of Harry Potter. We can still develop other properties.”

On 4/6/2023 at 12:28 AM, MovieMan89 said:

Cmon WB, just crack open the break in case of emergency box on the movie sequel series. A remake here is pointless, and you can’t tell me the OG 3 can’t be convinced to hop on board the money train for the sequels. 

The OG 3 like trans people way too much to associate with Joanne (good for them). I'm sure part of the audition process for this show is asking these kids if they like trans people or not.

• Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

As a big fan of the books (and the films too), I am very excited about this, even if I didn't think I would be. Many of the naysayers will become just as excited as soon as more substantial news come out about this. The cast is going to be amazing, I am sure.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, WeThrones said:

and that's basically it. there is no story there. no one cares about it. 

Creative people can create creative stories. Isn't that the point of storytelling? Nothing has a story until someone writes it.

Re-doing the books may be a bad look overall for HBO/WB. It really does seem like an attempt to muzzle Emma, Daniel, and Rupert and, if it comes across as such, makes Max/WB look like they're playing sides. That can be.......complicated. Nobody ever said " I wish they would make movies or tv shows that were more accurate to the books". Hell, make a sequel series or a Voldemort/Dumbledore/Snape/Order of the Phoenix prequel series for crying out loud!

3 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I obviously don’t know Radcliffe, Watson or Grint personally, but the notion that they’d be perfectly willing to betray their ideals as long as enough money is offered is a rather cynical thought. 

The notion that they wouldn't have agreed to appear in a Cursed Child adaptation has no factual basis. If they were so against Rowling, why did they agree to participate in the celebration of her book's adaptation?

The Cursed Child didn't happen because Rowling didn't want it (as she has stated multiple times, and it's been hinted by other WB insiders).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nox said:

The notion that they wouldn't have agreed to appear in a Cursed Child adaptation has no factual basis. If they were so against Rowling, why did they agree to participate in the celebration of her book's adaptation?

The Cursed Child didn't happen because Rowling didn't want it (as she has stated multiple times, and it's been hinted by other WB insiders).

They took part in a celebration of adaptations of the books, not the books themselves. Rowling didn’t even participate in the special. 

I've always thought they should go the animated route in adaptating the books; it would sidestep a lot of the issues of filming with growing children, and the characters can look like their book descriptions. Of course, they probably want to have more racial diversity with the top characters than the books provided, and have some out gay characters to show it's NBD in the Wizarding World. Will Polyjuice still work across gender in the TV series, or are they going to skip those parts...

It's funny seeing all the fans now considering the movies perfection-that sure was not what they had to say back when they were being released. Like, the internet was around back then, we can still see the bitter screeds from the aughts about "Emmione" and Ron the sidelined goofball and "Dumbledore said calmly".

Never got the sense Daniel, Rupert and Emma were just waiting around to reprise their Potter roles. They secured the bag pretty young and hopefully invested wisely. Emma barely acts anymore, while Dan and Rupert clearly want to prove themselves as performers outside of the franchise and aren't so old/washed that they have no other options. They're still a decade too young for Cursed Child. I never thought they'd come back to the roles this soon, even if JKR had stayed off Twitter and out of gender politics. But her heel turn probably makes the decision easier for them.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, WeThrones said:

Not true at all! This is exactly what fans were saying since the moment Game of Thrones started. 

I meant specifically for Harry Potter. At most, people wanted a few tidbits that were left out to have been included. Not close to being enough to make a whole new rendition.

So Google says the first Harry Potter book is 336 pages.  How do you make a whole season of Television out of that?  The Hobbit is 300 pages, and we saw what happened when they tried to make a 9 hour movie trilogy out of that and I'm assuming HBO/WB is going to want an 8-10 hour season of TV.  Are they just gonna make a bunch of shit up?  I honestly don't care how this turns out as I don't care about Harry Potter, but how they're gonna go about this is curious.

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

So Google says the first Harry Potter book is 336 pages.  How do you make a whole season of Television out of that?  The Hobbit is 300 pages, and we saw what happened when they tried to make a 9 hour movie trilogy out of that and I'm assuming HBO/WB is going to want an 8-10 hour season of TV.  Are they just gonna make a bunch of shit up?  I honestly don't care how this turns out as I don't care about Harry Potter, but how they're gonna go about this is curious.

A LOT of backstory and flashbacks (which could make up a vast part of every season).

Thing is, everyone knows all the secrets and the whole world has read these books just about. So, I'm not sure how they will make it that suspenseful.

I am not apologetic about my dislike for this idea. I love the HP world but I think this is a bad bad idea.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jedijake said:

I meant specifically for Harry Potter. At most, people wanted a few tidbits that were left out to have been included. Not close to being enough to make a whole new rendition.

No, people always wanted another adaptation because after the the third movie the whole series felt like a Wikipedia summary.

• ...wtf 1

5 hours ago, jedijake said:

Well maybe "based on the books" is a loose phrase and it won't be a verbatim re-make?

sounds like race-swapping to me

unless their goal is to turn harry potter into a constant culture war lighting rod, turning Ron into an indian is the most they can do

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jedijake said:

This is like re-making Star Wars with a whole new cast in the early 90's or re-making Wizard of Oz in 1950.

Difference here is Star Wars OT is iconic, so is the LOTR trilogy. They would never touch it, not for a 100 years. Harry Potter movies aren't all that.

• ...wtf 1