Eric Duncan

Untitled Harry Potter Series | HBO Max

The only thing that would make this all worth it is if they throw in a LOT of Hogwarts backstory and intersplice it with Marauders, Order of the Phoenix, Voldy and Snape, Snape and Lilly, Dumblestories, Voldystories, etc. Make the super extended edition versions like LOTR.

And include the darn scene where Wormtail chokes himself!!!

What a blatant cash grab. Percy JacksonA Series of Unfortunate Events, and The Golden Compass needed TV shows because the books were so badly butchered in their initial adaptations, whereas Harry Potter is extremely faithful to the source material and still relevant in pop culture. I agree with @jedijake that this is akin to casting a new Luke Skywalker in the 90’s. 

tumblr_lqljl9sXae1qdm9llo1_r2_500.gif

Edited by ListenHunnyUrOver
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, eddyxx said:

If this series is successful then I hope they(Max) remake Game of Thrones with all the cut material added back in. They could’ve easily done 10 seasons of Game of Thrones.

Why? GoT was eight seasons long. At least with Harry Potter, it was never adapted into television before. 

Edited by WittyUsername
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

What a blatant cash grab. Percy JacksonA Series of Unfortunate Events, and The Golden Compass needed TV shows because the books were so badly butchered in their initial adaptations, whereas Harry Potter is extremely faithful to the source material and still relevant in pop culture. I agree with @jedijake that this is akin to casting a new Luke Skywalker in the 90’s. 

tumblr_lqljl9sXae1qdm9llo1_r2_500.gif

It's not just akin to recasting Luke in the 90's. It's akin to recasting Luke, Leia, Han, etc. for a remake of the same 3 movies that were released from 1977-1983 and calling it a exciting, brand new Star Wars project (instead of making the prequels).

I'm a million times more excited for the new Star Wars material coming out and have zero interest whatsoever in this HP series. I am a huge HP fan and we're even going to Universal this summer with an HP package. But this series does nothing for us.

And if it is being done to slap Daniel, Emma, and Rupert in the face, it is even less appealing.

Edited by jedijake
  • Like 2

On 4/12/2023 at 12:10 PM, jedijake said:

They didn't do the same thing with SW though. They didn't completely remake the same thing. They did prequels and sequels and midquels (Rogue One).

Now, I can see them branching off and showing other characters during the same period. Still not as expansive. It would be cool if they made a movie version of Hogwarts Legacy.

They seem to be SO freaked out about the failure of the FB series that they are scared stiff of going into the expanded universe.

Well, as a fan of the novels, what I have seen of the EU has not impressed me.

On 4/13/2023 at 9:12 AM, Elessar said:

Let's wait and see, i guess.

I mean, i wouldn't say it's impossible, but i doubt it. That shit is so expensive, i'm not even sure ROP will make it to the end if ratings keep dropping. They might just write the whole LOTR deal off.

I still say the mistake they made with Rings of Power was not wiritn unti lthey got the rights to the Simrallion,which goes into much more detail on the Second age then the material in LOTR.

• Like 1

I think a movie reboot would have been a financially better decision but having a tv series will allow them to provide a more faithful adaptation of the books. It will also allow them to improve on the cast. The original trio are hugely iconic in their roles but as actors they left plenty to be desired. Its the more seasoned actors that will be harder to replace.

• Like 1

Emma Watson is a horrible actress. It will be easy to replace her with more talented girl.

Daniel was miscast as well. He played awkward nerd and not charming rebellious boy that Harry was. Rupert was great but Steve Kloves wrote him as useless comic relief. He wrote Hermione as this flawless smart and great at everything girl.

Dumbledore was written as too agreesive and Snape as too calm and he was massively whitewashed. Voldemort often felt like parody.

Making a superior adaptation won't be that hard at all. Harry Potter deserves to be properly adapted.

Edited by WeThrones

6 hours ago, lecico said:

I think a movie reboot would have been a financially better decision but having a tv series will allow them to provide a more faithful adaptation of the books. It will also allow them to improve on the cast. The original trio are hugely iconic in their roles but as actors they left plenty to be desired. Its the more seasoned actors that will be harder to replace.

How would a movie reboot have been financially better? 

I dont stand for the Harry Potter movie slander.

I love all 8 movies. Some have much more flaws than others (CoS, GoF, HBP), one is a legit masterpiece (PoA), some range from very good to great (SS, OotP, DH1 & 2), but all of them are a treasure. How many book adaptions are there that mostly adapted the story so well? Nothing ofc will ever come close to LOTR-levels of adaption, but the Harry Potter movies are damn fine and still hold up very well.

• Like 2

On 4/12/2023 at 2:33 PM, kayumanggi said:

There.

I only just now delved into this post and article (was posted when I was recovering from hernia surgery). It would seem as though WB wants to take the same approach with HP as Disney is taking with both SW and the MCU which is to develop a wide-spanning set of TV series and perhaps/likely movies as well.

So maybe they WILL get into stories in the Hogwarts Legacy era and stories of other wizarding schools. Maybe even a founding of Hogwarts. Seems they want to launch it with familiarity first.

7 minutes ago, jedijake said:

I only just now delved into this post and article (was posted when I was recovering from hernia surgery). It would seem as though WB wants to take the same approach with HP as Disney is taking with both SW and the MCU which is to develop a wide-spanning set of TV series and perhaps/likely movies as well.

So maybe they WILL get into stories in the Hogwarts Legacy era and stories of other wizarding schools. Maybe even a founding of Hogwarts. Seems they want to launch it with familiarity first.

That's the goal, imo.

• Like 1