Eric Duncan

Untitled Harry Potter Series | HBO Max

5 hours ago, Elessar said:

Difference here is Star Wars OT is iconic, so is the LOTR trilogy. They would never touch it, not for a 100 years. Harry Potter movies aren't all that.

They’re iconic enough that WBD felt the need to use the John Williams theme in yesterday’s announcement. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Elessar said:

Difference here is Star Wars OT is iconic, so is the LOTR trilogy. They would never touch it, not for a 100 years. Harry Potter movies aren't all that.

Look, LOTR is my favorite movie series ever but if you think there won’t be a LOTR remake in movie or TV form in 15 years max then then you are crazy (I can bet you Amazon will jump at that as soon as ROP wraps).

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

They’re iconic enough that WBD felt the need to use the John Williams theme in yesterday’s announcement. 

Not only that but they will also keep the Hogwarts design as is (that yesterday was the official logo after all) and everything in the Wizarding World also because they have merch and theme parks - I bet the only thing that changes will be the actors. 

• Like 1

Also, even though I agree that they could have expanded the universe in some other way, lets not kid ourselves: the first season of this thing at least will be absolutely massive ratings wise. And if it is actually good (and I expect it to be since Rowling is producing and this time she already has the story) then the sky is the limit.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, James said:

Not only that but they will also keep the Hogwarts design as is (that yesterday was the official logo after all) and everything in the Wizarding World also because they have merch and theme parks - I bet the only thing that changes will be the actors. 

That just reinforces that a reboot wasn’t their initial hope. They absolutely would’ve kept the film continuity if all the necessary parties were on board with a sequel. 

Ehhh that's not a good comparison. The original Star Wars were only ever films. Harry Potter are books first and the adaptations were very imperfect and cut a lot out. In some cases whole books were butchered in the adaptation process. 

There is no superior more in depth version of the original Star Wars story that the films were a mixed bag in living up to. Meanwhile it's very easy to see how you could make a 10 episode series out of each book. The content is there.

13 minutes ago, James said:

Look, LOTR is my favorite movie series ever but if you think there won’t be a LOTR remake in movie or TV form in 15 years max then then you are crazy (I can bet you Amazon will jump at that as soon as ROP wraps).

Let's wait and see, i guess.

I mean, i wouldn't say it's impossible, but i doubt it. That shit is so expensive, i'm not even sure ROP will make it to the end if ratings keep dropping. They might just write the whole LOTR deal off.

To a LOT of people they are. To say they are not is just one opinion.  This isn't Golden Compass we are talking about.

Regardless though, this will throw HBO and WB into the political cultural war and it almost seems like that is part of their purpose.

Edited by jedijake
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, jedijake said:

A LOT of backstory and flashbacks (which could make up a vast part of every season).

Thing is, everyone knows all the secrets and the whole world has read these books just about. So, I'm not sure how they will make it that suspenseful.

I am not apologetic about my dislike for this idea. I love the HP world but I think this is a bad bad idea.

I don't think those who have read the books would care at all. They will still watch this.

This seems pointless. it is way too soon to reboot it imo. I would rather see a sequel with the original cast, or something from another timeline. maybe do a series like this 10-20 years from now. but right now makes no since.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WeThrones said:

Ehhh that's not a good comparison. The original Star Wars were only ever films. Harry Potter are books first and the adaptations were very imperfect and cut a lot out. In some cases whole books were butchered in the adaptation process. 

There is no superior more in depth version of the original Star Wars story that the films were a mixed bag in living up to. Meanwhile it's very easy to see how you could make a 10 episode series out of each book. The content is there.

Forgive me, I am still reading through the books and am on Goblet of Fire right now. but the first three at least were some of the most faithful book-to film adaptations I have ever seen, do we really need every little scene translated to film? this makes no sense.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, nox said:

The notion that they wouldn't have agreed to appear in a Cursed Child adaptation has no factual basis. If they were so against Rowling, why did they agree to participate in the celebration of her book's adaptation?

The Cursed Child didn't happen because Rowling didn't want it (as she has stated multiple times, and it's been hinted by other WB insiders).

Radcliffe's choice in film roles post Potter is pretty much solid evidence to me he isn't the type to just do a role for cash.

• Like 1

As someone who couldn't get into the Harry Potter franchise, I'd consider checking this out. I liked the first couple movies enough but I just kinda lost interest over time. It might be easier to get invested into it as a TV series though. Maybe I'll give it a shot if I like the casting and trailers.

Edited by poweranimals

1 hour ago, Kalo said:

Forgive me, I am still reading through the books and am on Goblet of Fire right now. but the first three at least were some of the most faithful book-to film adaptations I have ever seen, do we really need every little scene translated to film? this makes no sense.

I agree. It feels like they want to make sequels with the same actors as the book adaptations, but since they can't use the OG3, they are starting from scratch. That and it feels like a super long director's cut of the movies with every painstaking book detail (and probably a lot of exposition and backstory as well).

• Like 1

What also seems interesting is that SW is taking an approach of expansion by having movies set in the Mando-verse, after Episode 9, and 25,000 years before ANH with Jedi beginnings. They are also exploring the High Republic with Acolyte and a whole new concept with Skeleton Crew (not sure of the time period of that one). All the while, they are going to new worlds.

Meanwhile, Max is taking an equally as vast universe as the wizarding world and choosing to re-do what was already done. Imagine the reaction if Disney did that with SW.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, WeThrones said:

What universe? Everything outside the main book was very weak.

And Lucasfilm is not a good example how to handle a franchise at all. "Somehow Voldemort returned" is probably what we would've got in HP sequel.

What do you know about "everything outside the main books" besides FB?

The fact that there is magic outside of Hogwarts is pretty expansive enough with good writers.

But it seems to be the same ol' same ol'. People gripe about Disney doing live-action remakes of animated classics but are fine with a complete re-do of another studio's franchise.

2 hours ago, WeThrones said:

What universe? Everything outside the main book was very weak.

And Lucasfilm is not a good example how to handle a franchise at all. "Somehow Voldemort returned" is probably what we would've got in HP sequel.

:ph34r: isn't that what we're getting anyway?

• Like 1