cax16

Blue Beetle | August 18, 2023 | WB/DC | Director - Angel Manuel Soto | First DC Universe Character!

5 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

It's not my fault Hollywood apparently only knows one way to write Latino families and chooses to blatantly pander in trailer stuff.

It was written by a Mexican writer, and directed by a Puerto Rican director, and stars a Mexican/Cuban from LA.

4 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

It was written by a Mexican writer, and directed by a Puerto Rican director, and stars a Mexican/Cuban from LA.

And looking at the trailer it looks like a very obvious Spiderverse/Encanto cash-in with all the pandering dialogue choices to match.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FunkMiller said:

Nobody has been fooled for one second that this is anything other than a DCEU movie. Gotta wonder if they'll leave that asinine 'Batman is a fascist' gag in there, as reference to Batfleck.

I seriously doubt that line was written as a jab against Batfleck. The director has made it clear that he’s a fan of Snyder’s work. 

3 hours ago, FunkMiller said:

Nobody has been fooled for one second that this is anything other than a DCEU movie. Gotta wonder if they'll leave that asinine 'Batman is a fascist' gag in there, as reference to Batfleck.

Not really, the idea that Batman uses fascist tactics isnt remotely new. It's even a big part of The Dark Knight with the whole cell phone tracking device element with Lucius.

Not gonna lie these reactions actually look pretty positive and remind me of the first Shazam film. I'm guessing an 85%+ RT and an 'A' CinemaScore. I think 3x legs is possible with positive reception, of course that doesn't mean much on such a small OW, but still

Edited by HummingLemon

2 hours ago, TomThomas said:

Shazam comparisons don't inspire confidence.

Depends on if they meant Shazam 1 or 2

1 hour ago, HummingLemon said:

Not gonna lie these reactions actually look pretty positive and remind me of the first Shazam film. I'm guessing an 85%+ RT and an 'A' CinemaScore. I think 3x legs is possible with positive reception, of course that doesn't mean much on such a small OW, but still

Personally I think 85+ is too high. Unless I’m mistaken, the only two CBMs that have gotten above an 85 post-Covid are Shang-Chi and No Way Home. And lifting the review embargo the day before release still doesn’t seem like a strong sign to me.

But maybe it’ll surprise me. At the very least I think it’ll be around the same or higher than The Flash.

• Like 1