cax16

Blue Beetle | August 18, 2023 | WB/DC | Director - Angel Manuel Soto | First DC Universe Character!

49 minutes ago, nox said:

I don't think even $140M is reachable at this point. In the very optimistic scenario where the film reaches $75M domestic, its ~55/45 domestic/OS ratio would amount to $136M worldwide total.

Do you know if it’s releasing in China, Japan or Korea? I know it’s releasing in Australia next month but those are 4 really big markets missing in the international totals

1 hour ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

I'd argue that the inherent grammar of this sentence involves Gunn talking about Affleck's interest in directing "a DCU film;"  however, that really doesn't matter. Again, I agree that there's likely a hyper pedantic way to parse Gunn and Affleck's comments as non contradictory. It's just not something that changes the underlying takeaway very much. 

Who cares if you call that a lie or just "intentionally dishonest in a way that you can argue is technically not a lie (because PR spin/leaks are inherently dishonest)?" It's literally just semantics. 

An announcement of a vaguely positive meeting is just not something you should treat all that seriously. 

Gunn's doing his job and his job involves some degree of obscurity involving future projects. People are too worked up by this stuff. Even if he's more open than a generic executive, he's obviously going to be far from an open book.

Yeah, I mean it's also possible that they had talked again since then and Affleck just wasn't feeling it.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, El Gato said:

Do you know if it’s releasing in China, Japan or Korea? I know it’s releasing in Australia next month but those are 4 really big markets missing in the international totals

Looks like it is. I am not familiar with the source.

Edited by nox

1 hour ago, nox said:

Looks like it is. I am not familiar with the source.

To the left of it is an equalizer poster which won't release so doesn't really mean anything. Pretty obvious it's not coming out in China by now, the WTS number isn't even live lol

Japan will probably put it out but will make like 1M there, SK no idea

Edited by JustLurking

20 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

So much potential, so didn't get there.

As I mentioned in the weekend thread, A for the beginning half, D+ for the ending half for an overall C+.  Just not quite the homerun needed to break WB's 2023 BO curse.

Evil Dead Rise and Barbie already broke that curse. 

• Like 1

On 8/27/2023 at 4:17 PM, El Gato said:

Shazam 2 did $7.5M in China, Japan, and Korea combined. . .Blue Beetle is missing like $10M from those markets at most lol

On 8/28/2023 at 3:40 AM, TwoMisfits said:

So much potential, so didn't get there.

As I mentioned in the weekend thread, A for the beginning half, D+ for the ending half for an overall C+.  Just not quite the homerun needed to break WB's 2023 BO curse.

I think that's a very generous rating for the first half. It's very much a consistent 5/10 for me. Nothing terrible (well, Sarandon was terrible), but I have seen this done so many times, and considerably better now. It's literally a movie that feels made in the early days of the superhero renaissance. It's better made than the likes of Affleck Daredevil or the Fantastic Four movies, which is why it would have been amazing had it bene released in 2004. As is... ooofff. Waste of time.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

I think that's a very generous rating for the first half. It's very much a consistent 5/10 for me. Nothing terrible (well, Sarandon was terrible), but I have seen this done so many times, and considerably better now. It's literally a movie that feels made in the early days of the superhero renaissance. It's better made than the likes of Affleck Daredevil or the Fantastic Four movies, which is why it would have been amazing had it bene released in 2004. As is... ooofff. Waste of time.

The 1st half hit the heart...and I grade well for the heart. I felt the characters and their path, and it felt real and earned, even if sometimes totally comic book convenient.

But the 2nd half, once your heart was pounded by the 1st half climax, just doesn't come together at all and was a much worse, much less sensible (and much more randomly murderous) Shazam repeat, with only the not-Susan villain climax giving it any redeemability.  It's like 2 completely different writers and directors managed the movie.  

I said a while back that DC would be better off giving up on trying to have their own equivalent to the MCU, and now I’m more convinced of that than ever. Now is seemingly the worst time to try and restart their cinematic universe. Their most successful films since 2019 have been completely disconnected from the larger DC Universe. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I said a while back that DC would be better off giving up on trying to have their own equivalent to the MCU, and now I’m more convinced of that than ever. Now is seemingly the worst time to try and restart their cinematic universe. Their most successful films since 2019 have been completely disconnected from the larger DC Universe. 

Well maybe then just wait to see what DC is actually doing. 

4 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

The Batman Extended Universe

9 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

The Batman Extended Universe

Can’t say I want that either, but that’s apparently what Matt Reeves is planning, which makes it even more ridiculous that we’re concurrently getting a new DCU with yet another Batman. That’s not even getting into the Joaquin Phoenix Joker movies. They’re essentially going to be competing with themselves. 

It’s worth pointing out that George Miller’s Justice League film was ultimately canceled precisely because WB didn’t want to dilute the brand by having another Batman film series going on while Christian Bale’s Batman was still a thing.