Eric the Ape

Cocaine Bear | February 24, 2023 | Elizabeth Banks directs

On 2/2/2023 at 6:46 AM, filmlover said:

This feels like a nonstarter tbh. Buzz peaked when the trailer landed months ago and dark comedies have always been difficult sells.

Agreed, I love dark comedies, but they do seem to go over the head of many audiences.

9 hours ago, dudalb said:

From what I have read, don't expect a straight up horror movie. The film has a lot of black comedy, apparently.

I don't think many are expecting a horror movie. The trailer makes it look light and fun.

Edited by Verrows

Got out about an hour ago, I sadly think it's a miss despite a solid opening with dumb Scandinavians in the wild. Most of the setup is a lot of short disjointed scenes with hit or miss jokes, and not a lot of bear or cocaine. We're asked to keep track of about a dozen characters and there's not a lot of wit in the script to keep the pace up. There's a very funny scene around the middle involving an ambulance, but mostly it's rare that it got a laugh out of me (or anyone else at the screening).

I prefer goofy creature features like this with dumb looking puppets or guys in costumes. It reminded me a little of Zombeavers from a few years ago, and I wasn't even particularly a fan of that movie but I wish Cocaine Bear had more of that movie's low budget shitty puppet charm.

The movie then ends on a whimper of a third act, so I didn't really get much out of it despite really getting into it in the first 5-10 minutes. I was at least happy to see that Elizabeth Banks plucked the opening song from Wet Hot American Summer, it certainly set the tone right.

29 minutes ago, Lucas said:

There is hope that it can stay fresh, though all the reviews so far being on the 3-3.5/5 level definitely indicate that quite a few negatives are coming.

So far all these are from nobody critics and the fact that it's barley fresh ratings is a red flag