Eric Atreides

Cocaine Bear | February 24, 2023 | Elizabeth Banks directs

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/elizabeth-banks-to-direct-cocaine-bear-horror-comedy-for-phil-lord-chris-miller?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=THR Breaking News&utm_term=hollywoodreporter_breakingnews

Elizabeth Banks has found her next directorial project with a bear-centric thriller that has Phil Lord and Chris Miller set to produce.

Universal is behind Cocaine Bear that is based on an untitled spec written by Jimmy Warden that is inspired by true events that took place in Kentucky in 1985.

The true story, as reported in 1985 by the New York Times, was that a 175-pound black bear consumed the contents of a duffle bag filled with over 70 pounds of cocaine that was dropped from an airplane by a local drug smuggler, Andrew Thornton. The bear was later found dead of an apparent drug overdose.

The exact plot details for the film, which is eyeing a summer shoot date, are being kept under wraps.

The project will be produced under Lord Miller's first-look pact with Universal. Lord Miller president Aditya Sood brought the project to the studio and will also produce, along with Brian Duffield and Banks and Max Handelman via their Brownstone Productions banner. Executive vp production Matt Reilly and creative executive Christine Sun will oversee the pic on behalf of Universal.

5 hours ago, Eric Clade said:

terrible title, some people will think its not a real movie

should have been called "cocaine bear:  An Epic Story of Heroism, Friendship, and Sacrifice" instead 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I don't think anyone is going to be predicting what we were predicting for Snakes on a Plane for this.

We all got caught up in the hype of that film, and it obviously was a paper tiger.

Could this gross $34 mil? I mean, sure, why not. But I don't really think anyone is expecting that. The major issue against it is the title.

4 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

This trailer has an insane amount of shares and buzz on my social feed tbh. Could be a breakout.

Really hope it's not just one of those internet fads where the trailer is the peak of its popularity. We need more non franchise films breaking out.