BiffMan

Weekend actuals (THG $58,551,063 -61.6%)

Fake, where are you getting the average price for 2D tickets? This is very useful information!

Extensive calculations based on all the data I could gather. Avg. 2D price should be accurate within +/- $0.02. Edited by Fake

Care to share that data?

No. B)Too much to share. ;)Basically, I took IMAX grosses from the press-releases, 3D shares of the yearly grosses from various sources, average IMAX and 3D premium from various sources (I also looked at ticket prices for many theaters in USA myself)... and then I put all that into the calculations.

I don't see why a movie's box-office performance can't be incredible and very front-loaded at the same time. It's OW was amazing. The rest of its run will be similar to other big-budget performers. Its total will be impressive, especially given the predictions beforehand.

i agree with this 100%. Frontloading is now just a common thing. The rush to see a wildly anticipated film is at an all time high so frontloading is common and expected. I do understand what ACCA is saying too. Outside of the OW, this film is going to perform unspectacularly. Many here wanted to annoint it an anomaly after the Saturday and that simply is not accurate. It's a great box office performance as it will make a pile of money, but it's not going to be any different than 90% of the blockbusters outside of the opening weekend.

I hope The Hobbit has an interesting and compeling storyline.10 hours to get a fracking ring in lava !C'mon !!!! :P

YESSS!! lol..Totally agreed.

Sigh, I guess there's a reason why big movies choose to open in Summer, or December, but not March. Lionsgate better not go and open Catching Fire in March ...

I think you can lock the sequel for Thanksgiving or Christmas or maybe summer.

I don't understand how that makes its overall performance to date any less impressive.

I agree with this. I think it is impressive simply because none of us saw it coming.

this is a 2nd weekend in the spring, let's take $58.5M and look at it in historical comparison even with inflationagain massive crazy #, drop is irrelevant ALTHOUGH staying power seems to be diminishing slightly

This is what ACCA is saying though. Yes, the OW is incredible, but since then it has behaved like every single big opening. There is nothing out of the ordinary about it after it's opening weekend.

Wow, that's quite a drop. Props for Baumer for pretty much nailing this thing, and to Baumer and Fake for spending all of last week trying to knock some sense into us. Don't have time to get into analysis right now, but this changes the dynamics of the opening weekend a little bit as well.

Well thanks for the props, but just to keep the balance of the force in check, I never saw an opening weekend of moer than 80 mill let alone the 150 it did. I just figured that with such a massive opening it would have to behave like a sequel.

I firmly believe if a film in this age of the movie industry opens over 125M it will behave like a sequel regardless if it is or not.

Well, you are not alone.