BiffMan

Weekend actuals (THG $58,551,063 -61.6%)

~95.9M tickets sold on its first run

That's from BOM which didnt take Avatar's 3D ticket price into account. It would be sth like 74-75m, and TDK around 71m. Inny Binny came out with those numbers and posted on BOM forums, and I remember quite a few users agreeing on them, so I think that's probably close enought to the actuals.

Gone with the Wind has 200 million tickets sold :o :o The USA population at that time was around 130 million

Gone with the Wind has had like eight rereleases, and none of them were as big as Titanic's single release.

Gone with the Wind has had like eight rereleases, and none of them were as big as Titanic's single release.

And there weren't as much movies released at the same time like in 1997 or now. And people didn't have tv's back then.

Man, just read this entire thread in one go.Regarding what makes an 'impressive' performance, it's true that front-loading is now the norm. But to me, that actually makes a film with good legs more impressive than a massive opening weekend, because it's so damn rare in this environment.Still, when the OW is 150m for a film that was totally unexpected to get it then that's something in itself.

Avengers would surely beat that figure, unless it's a really bad film.

Avengers with IM2's attendance and a reasonable 3D share will do anywhere between 370-400M (depending on the share).