BiffMan

Weekend actuals (THG $58,551,063 -61.6%)

Exactly, they were massive. And on top of that their legacy still holds up a decade later as one of the most beloved trilogies of the modern film generation. If Hobbit is well received it's anything but crazy to predict 450m+ for it. FOTR was the least attended and it still adjusts to $433m. And keep in mind Hobbit will have 3D inflation on top of that, so again 500m for Hobbit would still likely be a dropoff in attendance from even FOTR.

500M (55M admissions) for TH1 would actually be improving on ROTK (62.5M) in the present box office climate (less yearly admissions and much more competition compared to 2003).

500M (55M admissions) for TH1 would actually be improving on ROTK (62.5M) in the present box office climate (less yearly admissions and much more competition compared to 2003).

But the point is 500m is still a big drop in admissions from ROTK. So it's not exactly an off the wall fanboy prediction to throw that number out there.

But the point is 500m is still a big drop in admissions from ROTK. So it's not exactly an off the wall fanboy prediction to throw that number out there.

Just looking at the admissions will never give you the correct picture. For example, Forrest Gump 2 in 3D is not gonna do 600M today, you know that.

Just looking at the admissions will never give you the correct picture. For example, Forrest Gump 2 in 3D is not gonna do 600M today, you know that.

Another terrible example. No one would want or care about that film. Opposed to TH1 which has been wanted and anticipated ever since ROTK came out. It's 10 years of build up to a wildly successful and acclaimed trilogy.

Another terrible example. No one would want or care about that film. Opposed to TH1 which has been wanted and anticipated ever since ROTK came out. It's 10 years of build up to a wildly successful and acclaimed trilogy.

Exactly my point. You have to take other factors into account other than just admissions.

Present BO climate is just too big a factor to ignore. There is a reason why no film has reached 50M admissions since Avatar.

Exactly my point. You have to take other factors into account other than just admissions.Present BO climate is just too big a factor to ignore. There is a reason why no film has reached 50M admissions since Avatar.

Then don't you think it's about time? Or are you trying to tell me 50m admissions will never happen for a film again?

It's pretty sad that 50m admissions is now considered a real feat when films in the early 2000's were doing it constantly.

Due to several factors of course, but that is the sad reality. However it is great to still see a few directors in the industry really pushing Hollywood forward in terms of original filmmaking, or innovative things and ideas that really bring out huge crowds to the theaters.

I'm pretty positive that most on here are underestimating TH. It's going to do big business.

Indeed. We're talking about an LOTR film first of all, with Jackson directing again, and combined with the incredible imagination of Del Toro, topping it all off with a great cast. Having a great release date is a bonus. It's going to be huge, no doubt about it.

I'm pretty positive that most on here are underestimating TH. It's going to do big business.

I'm not underestimating it at all. I think it has a chance to surprise us and take the domestic crown that many people think TDKR is a lock to win. TH has 3D to help it and its release pattern will definitely help it have some good legs over the holidays.

Yes, for reasons I've never quite understood TH1 has been getting the lowball treatment from the get go on this forum. The funny thing is no one can seem to truly justify their low predictions. Like all the 300-350 predictions I've seen here, do people realize how insane of a drop off from the LOTR films that would be? It would be an admissions bloodbath of epic proportions.

Edited by MovieMan89

Yes, for reasons I've never quite understood TH1 has been getting the lowball treatment from the get go on this forum. The funny thing is no one can seem to truly justify their low predictions. Like all the 300-350 predictions I've seen here, do people realize how insane of a drop off from the LOTR films that would be? It would be an admissions bloodbath of epic proportions.

it's because some people are under the mistaken impression The Hobbit is some small spin off thing. Also, some people think the nine year gap will cause it to lose audience. One person even compared it to Scream 4 and X-Files 2. I kid you not!I understand that attendance in general has gone down since 2003 but yeah Hobbit should at least reach 370M domestic and 900M overseas is on the table