cax16

Captain America: Brave New World | February 14, 2025 | Harrison Ford is General Thaddeus "Thunderbolt" Ross

On 2/13/2024 at 12:44 AM, Macleod said:

...Which they were likely told to say by Marvel/Disney to keep the lid on this.  He probably shows up in the third act/finale to help take on the Leader, Red Hulk, etc.  It would truly be *really* bizarre to finally feature The Leader in a Marvel movie and *not* have the Hulk show up, at some point.  Then again, Lucasfilm somehow didn't see fit to unite the original Star Wars cast on screen in any of those three films, so...  

I agree with you that he's probably showing up. Would be real stupid not to take this opportunity. But then again, Marvel has been off their game lately, so who knows.

On 3/22/2024 at 10:46 AM, AMCTheater2000 said:

So weird Falcon and Winter Solider feels much more like a Captain America sequel, while the actual Cap 4 movie fells like a Hulk sequel?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, GambitPool said:

Bucky is def in Thunderbolts because they don't have faith the concept will sell the film alone. 

Shame they're not growing their friendship further when it's the thing people like most about Mackie's Cap. 

I didn't see FatWS but I just assumed Brave New World would be a sequel to that. I don't understand this move. Mackie's functionally the fourth billed character in Winter Soldier. Moving on to Civil War and he's, at best, given the seventh? most prominent role in the film (RDJ, Evans, Stan, Boseman, ScarJo, villain mcvillain face). How much bigger is Mackie than Olson or Holland in that film?

This feels like spending $250M-350M to make a Han (from Fast & Furious) spinoff. I love Han, I'd 100% see it, but it's a stupid idea in a way that "a F&F movie but without Vin Diesel" (and Paul Walker and The Rock/Statham) isn't.

Sebastian Stan's much closer to a breakout supporting character from those films and having Mackie and Stan gives you a firmer hook to the nebulous "Captain America franchise" to go along with the shield iconography. It also limits the narrative dissonance of Mackie rather than Stan being anointed Rodgers' heir in Endgame. "Why isn't ___ in it" seems like it's going to be a self-evident marketing problem where "__" now includes both Evans and Stan. 

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

3 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

How are people surprised at this when A: he was never cast in the first place and B: is literally in a movie coming just 3 months later.

in a movie that  no one cares about.

22 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

It's a spinoff of an existing franchise not Shang-Chi. 

The "creative freedom" quote is specifically referring to how much they're allowed to stray from the source material. With Marvel there's things they have to stick to, vs Twisted Metal where they changed a lot from the games for the show. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

The "creative freedom" quote is specifically referring to how much they're allowed to stray from the source material. With Marvel there's things they have to stick to, vs Twisted Metal where they changed a lot from the games for the show. 

I think we're crossing streams here. The monday comment predates this controversy and was about people's baseline expectations for a film/tv show before marketing has started. If someone announced a Letty spinoff of Fast & Furious, it would have pre-release expectations that say Fall Guy (pretty much forgotten TV show outside of Australia) didn't on announcement. 

Without reading Mackie's comments today, your description sounds right. Perhaps you can read discontent from a close reading of this type of statement but it's generally banal hype stuff that gets aggregated and blown up. 

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

They might show something for this at Cinemacon. More recent times theyve gone they only focus on the next calendar year, but they definitely have footage for a clip there so there's a chance they might briefly have something.