cax16

Captain America: Brave New World | February 14, 2025 | Harrison Ford is General Thaddeus "Thunderbolt" Ross

12 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Can anything even be considered a “spin-off” in the context of the MCU? 

Ehmm.....Agatha maybe-ish?

anyway, I'm not even Steve Rogers' fan, I don't think of Winter soldier and Civil war as masterpieces, but I LOVED First Avenger

I look forward to BNW because I really liked Julius Onah's Luce, that's it.

Edited by cinema pal

2 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

What??? This isn't even remotely true. It's not a spinoff.

It's fine to argue this pedantically doesn't fit your definition of spinoff but I don't see how that gets you anywhere in addressing the real point being made. There's a "character versus franchise" distinction you're arguing is not applicable because canonically there's been a transfer of character name. That's a very niche scenario so comps are going to have bits and pieces of each. Would you argue Tokyo Drift is a sequel to 2 Fast 2 Furious as opposed to a spinoff/quasi-reboot/insert qualifier. The messiness is sort of intentional because you're always trying to sell the next film. 

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

1 hour ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

Would you argue Tokyo Drift is a sequel to 2 Fast 2 Furious as opposed to a spinoff/quasi-reboot/insert qualifier.

Yes, because it objectively is a sequel. Why would anyone argue otherwise.

I agree with SpiderByte that Captain America is just that, Captain America 4, but it'll have the weight of a spinoff because there's going to be such a drop off in box office and overall popularity. I hope I'm wrong though, I really want this movie to be good and for Marvel to right the ship. The Marvels was just such an insult, as are most of the shows. Look what they did to Nick Fury.

Edited by Insomnia

So why exactly is everyone so convinced this is destined to be a disaster somehow? Like even The Marvels wasn't some critically panned atrocity. I think this boards habit of declaring things doomed ridiculously far out is insane.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

I think the point of comparison here is Winter Soldier vs say Civil War.

I'd say maybe a bit more closer to Shang-Chi tbh as I'm not sure how much a sell Sam is on his own and racism overseas stopping this from a strong OS gross unless it absolutely overperforms. But yeah Civil War numbers aren't what should be expected. To be honest, think 450M even on a 200m budget would be a win so long as the GA likes it.

4 minutes ago, YM! said:

I'd say maybe a bit more closer to Shang-Chi tbh as I'm not sure how much a sell Sam is on his own and racism overseas stopping this from a strong OS gross unless it absolutely overperforms. But yeah Civil War numbers aren't what should be expected. To be honest, think 450M even on a 200m budget would be a win so long as the GA likes it.

No, that would be a flop

Edited by HummingLemon496

11 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

So why exactly is everyone so convinced this is destined to be a disaster somehow? Like even The Marvels wasn't some critically panned atrocity. I think this boards habit of declaring things doomed ridiculously far out is insane.

Because there are clear signs of problems with the film.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

• Marvel's recent track record is, if we're being generous, massively disappointing, thus almost entirely depleting moviegoers' faith in the brand.
  • Extensive reshoots, especially ones much like for this movie where one or more new characters are added in and which were commissioned after poor test screenings, almost always end badly for everyone involved, and are a major indication that the movie has serious issues.
  • The movie's lead doesn't have many fans and is generally associated with that infamous speech during the final episode of his lukewarmly received TV spinoff. Not many can recover from that. He's also black, which will unfortunately likely dampen overseas earnings. And I'm not expecting America to make up for that unlike Black Panther since Sam isn't resonating with them like the late T'Challa did.
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

• Extensive reshoots, especially ones much like for this movie where one or more new characters are added in and which were commissioned after poor test screenings, almost always end badly for everyone involved, and are a major indication that the movie has serious issues.

I genuinely don’t understand why you and other keep regurgitating this garbage when it’s been disproven multiple times by actual trustworthy sources instead believing the word of grifters and engagement horny virgins. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

I genuinely don’t understand why you and other keep regurgitating this garbage when it’s been disproven multiple times by actual trustworthy sources instead believing the word of grifters and engagement horny virgins. 

every time there are problems with a film and massive reshoots it gets "debunked" but we learn the truth after the film comes out. Same thing happened with The Marvels.

Edited by John Marston

18 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Extensive reshoots, especially ones much like for this movie where one or more new characters are added in and which were commissioned after poor test screenings, almost always end badly for everyone involved, and are a major indication that the movie has serious issues.

It's three weeks, and it's action scenes. have no earthly idea where this "they've reshot the whole movie" thing came from but it isn't true.

12 minutes ago, John Marston said:

every time there are problems with a film and massive reshoots it gets "debunked" but we learn the truth after the film comes out. Same thing happened with The Marvels.

There had been no reshoots on this movie prior to the current one that began in May. This is incredibly well documented. It's been reported, time and again, and confirmed by footage of the reshoots taking place that it's of action sequences.

29 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Marvel's recent track record is, if we're being generous, massively disappointing, thus almost entirely depleting moviegoers' faith in the brand.

Marvels most recently release is the best reviewed thing the studio has ever made and their next one is likely going to be the biggest movie of the year. This idea that everyone hates Marvel doesn't seem to explain Deadpools all but guaranteed opening weekend record.

The metrics people use for something being a failure on here are insane. "Some people didn't like one scene in a TV show in 2021. No actor can recover from that!"

Edited by SpiderByte

13 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Just like Shang-Chi had massive issues and Chapek thought it was a disaster? Or when NWH production was a  apparently a mess with characters being in and out constantly? And them changing the scripts every day? Which was not even close to be true. And it’s literally been refuted that this movies reshoots isn’t on the level of the marvels. None of that happened with the marvels from actual sources.

That doesn’t mean that this movie is going isn’t going to be a disaster. It very well might be but this reshoot stuff is so overblown. And some here are actively ignoring it to push some weird ass take.

23 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

There had been no reshoots on this movie prior to the current one that began in May. This is incredibly well documented. It's been reported, time and again, and confirmed by footage of the reshoots taking place that it's of action sequences.

Marvels most recently release is the best reviewed thing the studio has ever made and their next one is likely going to be the biggest movie of the year. This idea that everyone hates Marvel doesn't seem to explain Deadpools all but guaranteed opening weekend record.

The metrics people use for something being a failure on here are insane. "Some people didn't like one scene in a TV show in 2021. No actor can recover from that!"

Deadpool’s success has nothing to do with whether Cap 4 will be a success. That’s like saying NWH guaranteed Thr Marvels success 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Deadpool’s success has nothing to do with whether Cap 4 will be a success. That’s like saying NWH guaranteed Thr Marvels success 

By this same logic there's zero reason to assume The Marvels box office is any indication of Cap 4 and proof audiences hate Marvel now.

The rumors of the entire movie being reshot are debunked now. It wasn't true. So why do people keep bringing it up like it was?

Moderation

Guys, this "reshoots" discourse has been debunked. It's three weeks and nothing else. Reshoots don't automatically make a film bad. You know it, and I know it. Anybody who continues spreading misinformation or hyperbolic nonsense over this silly kids movie will see a threadban. Your choice.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

By this same logic there's zero reason to assume The Marvels box office is any indication of Cap 4 and proof audiences hate Marvel now.

The rumors of the entire movie being reshot are debunked now. It wasn't true. So why do people keep bringing it up like it was?

Cap 4 is a Cap movie without Steve Rogers, following a crappy streaming show, will likely have a gigantic budget, and we have seen recently Marvel is not infallible at the box office

right now Cap 4 is understandably being seen as a potential flop 

• Like 4