cax16

The Lord of the Rings: The War of the Rohirrim | December 13, 2024 | New Line/WB | Anime | Kenji Kamiyama directing.

1 hour ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

What about 2007's Beowulf? It was a weird animated style and people didn't like it (both the film and the animation style) but the story has at least some "name ID" and is a PG-13 medieval/quasi-medieval animated film. The big contrary point is simply that it was genuinely an innovative technology in 2007 and that was a big selling point for the film (alongside Jolie's had star power). I honestly recall it being sold more like Lion King/Jungle Book [lie-ve action] than pure animation. Beowulf opened to 27.7M DOM (42.3M adj) and made 83M DOM (128M adj)/112.8 WW.

Given that it came out in 2007, it *just* missed out on 3D crazy so the rise of PLFs should inflate away some baseline audience declines.  

Now that is an interesting one.  I actually tend to think it, along with 300, helped launch the 3D craze that Avatar then sent into the stratosphere.

That might be something of a best case scenario at least when it comes to the adjusted numbers, as janky looking as it was, Beowulf was still mostly live-action.  Well, live-action-ishBeowulf is probably better compared to The Polar Express, which straddled the line between animation and live-action [and as I check Wikipedia, it agrees with me] and that straddling was a selling point (as opposed to photo-realism being a related-but-different selling point).

*thinks about it some more*

Yeaaaah, I think Beowulf is a bit too much on the live-action side of things.  But as a proxy for "Something the GA is unaccustomed to"?  We can probably do worse.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ReturnOfTheBoxOffice said:

I think you’ll get Tolkien fans in droves. I think it’ll be a “We want more of this instead of Rings of Power.” kind of a thing.

You don't know thard core Tolien fans like I do. If it not clodeley based on Tolkien's writings, to them ianfic..and hard core Tolien fans hate fanfic.

Just now, ReturnOfTheBoxOffice said:

I mean PJs trilogy did alright.

That was based direvtly on Tolkine work. It was not a spinoff ;T You do know the difference between being reaosably faithful to  a novel an doing a spinoff based  upon a couple of paragrpahs?

I just am not confortable  with a major work of literature like LOTR being treated like a comic book  franchise.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The problem with trying to think of a comp for this movie is that I'm not sure whether we should be thinking of this as an American animated movie (and as such, subject to reduced expectations due to its target audience and subject matter), or as an anime.  On the one hand, it's being funded and distributed by Warner Bros., but on the other hand the director is Japanese and the actual animation is being done at a Japanese studio. So is this an American movie or a Japanese one?

This matters, ultimately, because I think it will affect what kind of messages other studios take away from War of the Rohirrim's success, assuming that it's successful. If it's considered to be an American movie, it might be seen as proof that serious PG-13 animated movies are a viable prospect for major studios, and convince other companies like Universal, Columbia, Paramount, and even Disney to invest in them. But if it's considered to be a Japanese movie, I doubt it would have such an impact, any more than, say, Demon Slayer did.

So should we be thinking of War of the Rohirrim as an American animated movie or an anime?

Edited by El Squibbonator
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, El Squibbonator said:

The problem with trying to think of a comp for this movie is that I'm not sure whether we should be thinking of this as an American animated movie (and as such, subject to reduced expectations due to its target audience and subject matter), or as an anime.  On the one hand, it's being funded and distributed by Warner Bros., but on the other hand the director is Japanese and the actual animation is being done at a Japanese studio. So is this an American movie or a Japanese one?

This matters, ultimately, because I think it will affect what kind of messages other studios take away from War of the Rohirrim's success, assuming that it's successful. If it's considered to be an American movie, it might be seen as proof that serious PG-13 animated movies are a viable prospect for major studios, and convince other companies like Universal, Columbia, Paramount, and even Disney to invest in them. But if it's considered to be a Japanese movie, I doubt it would have such an impact, any more than, say, Demon Slayer did.

So should we be thinking of War of the Rohirrim as an American animated movie or an anime?

I thin kit being a spin off of LOTR is really the main point here.

Posted (edited)

But that just begs the question-- if this movie is successful, will other studios take it as a green light to make their own similar movies in-house?

Or will they just say "it's not a domestic film, so its success isn't relevant to us"?

And should we even be considering this a domestic film?

Edited by El Squibbonator

Damn. I thought this was going to be a normal animation. I'm only now finding out that its gonna be an anime. So its gonna look like this? 😕 

d7d48aff3b28dc9a276d9ed7f24f0ca2.jpeg

18 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Damn. I thought this was going to be a normal animation. I'm only now finding out that its gonna be an anime. So its gonna look like this? 😕 

d7d48aff3b28dc9a276d9ed7f24f0ca2.jpeg

You’re clearly not familiar of the lifeless horror of 3DCG anime

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, AJG said:

You’re clearly not familiar of the lifeless horror of 3DCG anime

Holy crap that's horrific.

The only anime I have seen is Studio Ghibli movies and Your Name. I appreciate it's unlikely all anime is as good as those lol. oh and I watched the pokemon movies when I was 6.

Maybe I need to expand my worldview but anime LOTR sounds so unappealing to me.

Edited by Avatree

On 5/10/2024 at 9:32 AM, Elessar said:

We need a trailer asap...

DiscussingFilm said footage won't be shown until next month 

• Like 1