CJohn

Wednesday Numbers: Titanic 4.75 THG 4.6

Tracking, especially from boxoffice.com gave indication for some pretty big numbers.

not true, the tracking was good but nothing special, all sequels and re-releases get outstanding total awareness, check it in comparison to other re-releases over the last 12 months. The Opening Day is very good indeed, my comments stemmed from a general overall frustration with so called early estimates in general. I hava checked the patterns, a small 10% to 15% dip is likely, but I think the film could still bust out an increase anyway, it is Titanic after all, and I happen to be stupid like that.

For which days? I don't think anyone had it opening that well on the Wednesday.

Well, Boxoffice.com strikes again. They have a 35m 3-day and a 53m 5-day. That leaves 18m for Wed/Thur. But then they had a 72m 2nd weekend for THG. Shawn or Baumer, do you guys know who puts out these numbers for Boxoffice.com?

• Founder / Operator

Good thing. I respect you on here. You like a god..when you speak everybody submits

Hah...thanks, but I'm just a mere mortal like everyone else. :)

It gets worse and worse for Titanic. Paramount wasted 200m on this movie and it might get to 75m domestic. Move over, John Carter, there's a new bomb in town.

Post of the day!

Tracking, especially from boxoffice.com gave indication for some pretty big numbers.

Hmm, yes and no. Yes, because our most recent Long Range Forecast pegged it at $43m opening weekend... so if it fails to come close to that, I could see the point. But no because that prediction didn't have anything to do with Wednesday or Thursday. Again...let's wait and see what happens on Friday. There are tens of reasons why Titanic would have opened where it did on Wednesday, and virtually none that it would have done significantly more.

There are tens of reasons why Titanic would have opened where it did on Wednesday, and virtually none that it would have done significantly more.

Perfect example of hindsight bias. Edited by Elessar

I don't think anyone was expecting much more than this for the OD.

Exactly. I'd like to know who here was expecting this to have a huge opening day, being a Wednesday.

Honestly, most of the negative comments about Titanic's first day are what you probably would have heard in Dec 1997 when it pulled in 28.6m for its first weekend. The headlines that weekend concentrated more on the 200m budget than Titanic's money making prospects. If I've learned anything from analyzing box office for the past decade is to never attempt to project James Cameron's films from their early receipts. I'll wait until the weekend is over before making any judgments on the possibilities or probabilities of 100m+.