MrPink

Oppenheimer | 2024 Academy Award Winner for Best Picture and Best Director

Curious to see the worldwide reception for this. It’s smashing presales in the likes of India, Pakistan and in various Middle East countries. Someone on Nolan fans forum mentioned that theatres in Poland are busier than they’ve been for the likes of Avengers or Avatar.

The premiere and SAG strike has been on the front page of major newspapers here in the UK today which seems like a fortuitous marketing outcome.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bobzaruni said:
  Hide contents

Don't mean to pry too much but is the ending the 'I am become death' line and if its not too much to ask, what exactly does Nolan express about this at the end?

Spoiler

For the longest time I assumed that interview would be the end of the film, it isn't. The line is in the movie and serves a purpose but never used in an attempt to recreate a moment from real life. But the final moments feature another line getting at the same idea that more sounds like something a person would actually say in a regular conversation. Nolan does believe they may have destroyed the world.

Just now, MrPink said:

@Lucas How was the sound mixing this time around? Any major points where dialogue was unintelligible?

Definitely better but I'm still sure some moments will be unintelligible for people. The music almost never stops and sometimes it gets really loud as the tension amps up. Some moments basically function as jump scares, which might kill all remaining elderly people in the world. But I've never had a trouble with how loud his movies get (maybe my ears don't work right) so I enjoyed the use of sound in this immensely. Particularly any kind of subjective perspectives on the actual sound design.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Redolent said:

Curious to see the worldwide reception for this. It’s smashing presales in the likes of India, Pakistan and in various Middle East countries. Someone on Nolan fans forum mentioned that theatres in Poland are busier than they’ve been for the likes of Avengers or Avatar.

The premiere and SAG strike has been on the front page of major newspapers here in the UK today which seems like a fortuitous marketing outcome.

India is going to do really really well

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lucas said:
  Hide contents

For the longest time I assumed that interview would be the end of the film, it isn't. The line is in the movie and serves a purpose but never used in an attempt to recreate a moment from real life. But the final moments feature another line getting at the same idea that more sounds like something a person would actually say in a regular conversation. Nolan does believe they may have destroyed the world.

Wow. If they pulled the narrative direction of that off well, it could be one of his best ending ever.

Just now, Redolent said:

Yeah they added a bunch of 3.30am showings a few days ago lmao. And tickets are very expensive but still selling well.

Yeah, Nolan is very popular here. They had 5 shows of interstellar in a 630 person theatre and they all sold out. They're also showing all his movies from Batman Begins onward from 17-20 as a part of the 'Nolan Film Festival' that the biggest theatre chain is holding.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Some moments basically function as jump scares, which might kill all remaining elderly people in the world.

Considering this may very well play to older demos...I see what you're doing Nolan, and well played. Something has to be done to ease the burden on social and health services. You will be a hero to the NHS.

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Lucas said:

This may require a rewatch for many just to get on its wavelength properly, but in terms of just enjoyability it's not really entertaining in the way a lot of his other movies are (purposefully ofc). I can't imagine my mother even getting through one viewing of it. The Nolan movies it reminded me of the most are Dunkirk and The Prestige - aka my two favorite ones, which should naturally sound great for Oppenheimer, and it mostly does. A non-Nolan movie I'd throw in for sure is Social Network.

Do you smell Oscar out of Oppenheimer?

3 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Do you smell Oscar out of Oppenheimer?

Sight unseen, I'd be surprised if it didn't get the usual below the line ones you expect from Nolan movies, but it sounds like a couple acting nods, as well as maybe screenplay, Picture and maybe director nominations are possible. I dunno why, though, I feel like it could potentially be the double digit nomination film that walks away with 1-2 at most, or even empty-handed.

Edited by reddevil19
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Redolent said:

hoping that south korea audience like this considering it has great opening date, their independence day from japan. hoping for at least $30m from there. 

• Like 2

Yeah these reactions are selling me on this, as if I needed to be sold. Seeing this on IMAX 70mm the Monday after release. It was already my most anticipated of the year, and even though it’s only a week away it feels like an eternity. I hope Nolan gets to keep Nolan-ing forever. With any luck those new 70mm IMAX cameras will be completed soon and his next film he can just go batshit and shoot the entire goddamn thing in the format.

7 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I was checking showtimes for Tuesday, July 25th. That’s probably when I will try to see Oppenheimer. My nearby Regal theater only has 9 shows for Oppenheimer, but 29 shows for Barbie. 

Ya, length combined with lower screen count will limit its potential more than the subject matter/genre itself. 

Just now, reddevil19 said:

Ya, length combined with lower screen count will limit its potential more than the subject matter/genre itself. 

If people really like it, seems like it will have a lot of sold out shows. Very low showtime count compared to a typical big movie.

There’s also risk that it flops pretty hard due to the long runtime and ultra serious subject matter. People want silly escapism. Steven Soderbergh gave a speech about that years ago. He said 9/11 seemed to permanently alter moviegoing habits. Of course he catered to that audience with his Ocean’s 11-12-13 movies. Lol

6 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

If people really like it, seems like it will have a lot of sold out shows. Very low showtime count compared to a typical big movie.

There’s also risk that it flops pretty hard due to the long runtime and ultra serious subject matter. People want silly escapism. Steven Soderbergh gave a speech about that years ago. He said 9/11 seemed to permanently alter moviegoing habits. Of course he catered to that audience with his Ocean’s 11-12-13 movies. Lol

Based on initial tracking, there's no way it flops outright. It could underperform if everything does wrong though.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GOGODanca said:

only way it outright flops is if the 180m production budget is legit, would require atleast 450m to break even and likely over 500m due to back-end and thats a very tough ask for this kinda movie in 2023

Yep, I take Nolan at his word. He says it was a $180M budget for a 180 page script. Tack on marketing and they probably need at least $500M to break even. Similar gross to Tenet would be a flop.